Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

JONAS Gutierrez has won the Carling Player of the Month award for January after landing more than half of the votes cast by Newcastle United fans.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1561111,00.html

As much as I love him, and Im not complaining that he's got it,<b> but it should have went to Bassong I reckon. </b>

Agree not only has he been the most consistent performer but his performance against Sunderland was arguably the most standout performance of the season so far for me.

Supermac hates him :lol: He's always referring to his lack of goals and below par crossing, but he fails to comment on the rest of the midfield. I don't see how anyone can criticize Jonas ahead of the rest of our midfield. Hasn't he been our most productive midfielder this season with 4 or 5 assists?

Supermac is a nob.

Guest firetotheworks

Supermac hates him :lol: He's always referring to his lack of goals and below par crossing, but he fails to comment on the rest of the midfield. I don't see how anyone can criticize Jonas ahead of the rest of our midfield. Hasn't he been our most productive midfielder this season with 4 or 5 assists? I would expect some goals from a winger, and with Martins, Owen and Viduka on the pitch, as well as Barton making runs into the box i'm sure he would have had a lot more assists. He's one of the only players in the squad who i would strive to keep.

Rule of thumb, if Supermac doesn't like a player theyre generally good. The man is a fucking tit.

Guest Heneage

Mirror suggesting today that we will settle on around £4m for his signing

Fine by me seem to remember Pompey having an £8m bid knocked back.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He has a new celebration planned apparantly for when he opens his account

Cant wait

Although i will probably have to :)

Gutierrez has a special plan for his goal

Feb 21 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JONAS GUTIERREZ has promised the Toon Army a “special celebration” if he nets his first goal against Everton tomorrow.

Jonas Gutierrez

The Argentine winger is back from suspension after missing out on the 3-2 win over West Brom.

Ex-Real Mallorca ace Gutierrez was gutted to miss the victory at the Hawthorns, but took plenty of satisfaction out of the international break which resulted in his first goal for Argentina.

Now, after rediscovering his goalscoring touch, the South American – famed for donning a Spiderman mask during his days on the sun-kissed isle after scoring in La Liga – is hoping to woo the Geordie crowd against the Toffees.

He said today: “I want to score for the fans.

“I have a celebration planned, but people will only find out what it is when the goal comes.

“I want to score here very much. I have had chances, but have not scored, so maybe in this game I can do it.

“I feel very good in the team, and confidence is very important.”

Gutierrez had to sit out the win in the Black Country, but says he took solace from the crucial three points against West Brom.

He added: “I was not playing, but I was very happy, because we needed the three points, and we won. It was very important.”

Reflecting on his maiden goal for Argentina against France, he said: “It was a great experience to beat France, who are a very good national team.

“I also scored my first goal. For me, it was a very good match.

“It was a cross and I stopped the ball and shot from inside the area.

“I think it was a great goal!”

Now, though, Gutierrez is focused on the challenge ahead – and beating Everton.

He added: “Everton are doing well, but it is very important to win at home.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/21/gutierrez-has-a-special-plan-for-his-goal-72703-22977828/

Guest sicko2ndbest

The club's billionaire owner provided the funds, in the form of a loan, for Kevin Nolan's £4.5million transfer from Bolton Wanderers last month and to pay Real Mallorca, who have been in dispute with Newcastle, will receive around £4million this week in compensation for Jonás Gutiérrez

Times

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/26/guti-rrez-has-big-role-at-united-61634-23014037/

Gutiérrez ‘has big role at United’

Feb 26 2009 by Stephen Brown, The Journal

WHEN he made that eye-catching debut at Old Trafford, Jonás Gutiérrez made the Premier League sit up and take notice.

For finally signing a decent foreigner, previously nigh-on unheard of, so too did Newcastle United.

But if the Argentinian’s outstanding early-season form has dipped a little of late, Chris Hughton isn’t too concerned.

In fact, the Magpies’ caretaker boss has praised Gutiérrez’s attitude over recent weeks – in which he missed the win at West Brom due to international duty and started on the bench last Sunday against Everton – hailing a “big personality”.

“With all players, they’re going to go through periods of ups and downs where they’re in and out of the side,” said Hughton.

“Going back to the last game, we as coaches had quite a nice situation. We were able to keep the same team that played against West Brom together and he found himself in the position of coming back from an international break and not playing for his club side.

“That is testament to the lads who played but it is credit to him as well. He has continued to be excellent around the place – he’s a big personality.

“The level of his training hasn’t dropped. He knows he’s very much a big part of what’s going on here.”

So, too, Joey Barton. But, says Hughton, not for a while yet. “There is no chance of Joey being back in early March,” added the stand-in United boss.

“He’s still probably four weeks away. He’s still wearing the surgical boot, he’s not allowed too much movement.

“I feel for Joey because it’s one of the most frustrating injuries. There isn’t so much you can do.

“He can work upper body but once he gets the boot off, he can do some more work. I think it’s the type of injury that tends to be a set time.”

Time is also the major factor for Joe Kinnear as he recovers from his triple heart bypass operation.

Hughton continues to insist that the United boss will return to St James’s to resume control from himself and Colin Calderwood and have a major say in the club’s transfer dealings.

“Things like contracts and signings – that is very much Joe’s department,” said Hughton. “The only thing that I was involved in – and that was part of working with Joe – I did help with transfers.

“But Joe will make the decision on players that will come in, the players that we would chase in the window.

“Joe would discuss it with me and I was aware of it, but it was Joe’s decision and I see that being very much the case from the end of the season. He will make the decisions.

“The most important thing from the club’s point of view is that we now have a united front. Mine and Colin’s focus is solely on the team – from our point of view the least amount of issues outside of that, the better it is for us as a team and a group of players.”

Losing patience with him he just doesnt offer much,sure he can run and run but once he gets into the final quarter of the pitch his shot or cross is total shit.

He'd be amazing in a good team with good management who knew how to utilise him, but not for us.

James is... right.  ???

What Jonas offers a team is fantastic movement and energy, great workrate defensively too.

His game creates lots of room for others on the team.

If we had midfielders who weren't complete retards, they'd take advantage of what he gives us. But we don't.

It'd be nice if he had a great final ball and scored goals, but he'd basically be Cristiano Ronaldo then and wouldn't play for us.