Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

He wouldn't have kept him warming up from the start if he didn't intend to use him. But it's hard to say whether it worked or not; he certainly had an effect, as we started dominating, and I don't think we would if he played from the start, but we also were worse than usual in the first half.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/21/shearer-factor-can-save-us-says-guti-rrez-61634-23430395/

Shearer factor can save us says Gutiérrez

Apr 21 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

JONÁS Gutiérrez is adamant that Newcastle United’s players still believe they can escape from relegation because of Alan Shearer’s presence as manager.

Although Shearer has failed to lead his side to victory in any of his three games in charge and his triumphant return has not sparked the immediate revival the club’s fans had hoped for, Gutiérrez revealed the new boss has still made a positive impression behind the scenes.

United’s defeat at in-form Spurs on Sunday means the Magpies are four points adrift of safety and, should results go against them next weekend, could be seven points behind the fourth-bottom side by the time they entertain Portsmouth at St James’s Park on Monday.

It is a terribly perilous situation to be in, but Gutiérrez argued nobody in the Newcastle dressing room had conceded defeat in their increasingly desperate bid to avoid the drop.

“The manager tries to work with all the players and tells everyone to be positive and to think that we can do this,” said Gutiérrez, who returned to the starting line-up at White Hart Lane.

“That is very important for us. We have to believe like this for the next five games until the end of the season. The boss is talking to us and wants to make us better players. The team tries its best in every game. We have to think about the next game now, we have to keep the belief.

“We have to believe in ourselves and the team. If we don’t then it is impossible for us to do what we need to.”

For United to have a realistic ambition of remaining in the top flight they must win all three of their remaining home games this season.

With that in mind, next Monday night’s clash with Pompey promises to be a horribly tense occasion and Shearer is set to appeal directly to fans later this week urging them to make St James’s Park a boiling cauldron of noise for the whole 90 minutes.

If that sort of atmosphere can be generated and Portsmouth are sent home defeated, then Gutiérrez remains confident that Newcastle’s under-performing side can somehow drag themselves clear of the dreaded drop zone over the next five games.

He added: “We have three home games and they are very important. We need to win next week against Portsmouth. We need all the three points because we are in a very difficult situation and we want to leave this league position behind.

“The final matches for us are going to be very difficult. No team is going to make it easy for us, but all we can think about is the next match, nothing else, because we have to win this game.”

Meanwhile, Shearer has demanded there is no sense in self-pity on the United training ground this week as he looks to ensure morale is as high as possible ahead of the Portsmouth game.

The Magpies have plenty of time to dust themselves down before that crucial clash and Shearer is determined to keep spirits high – despite the growing sense of trepidation on Tyneside.

He said: “There is no room for feeling sorry for ourselves. We have to go to work and try to get three points against Portsmouth – and it starts now.

“I understand why the fans are deflated. We’re exactly the same. We fully intended to go to Tottenham and get three points out of the game, but it hasn’t worked out that way.

“My thoughts are now on Portsmouth and trying to win that game.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle centre-back Steven Taylor will today have a scan on his ankle injury after limping out of the Premier League defeat to Tottenham.

The 23-year-old, who picked up the problem against Arsenal last month, returned to the side after two games out but was replaced at the half-time interval at White Hart Lane.

“He’ll have a scan on Tuesday so we’ll know more then,” said Shearer.

Would play him behind Viduka and Martins when they are fit. I think he'd do a much better job than Owen who is good in that role, but i think Jonas can do better. Jonas did some good passes against Spurs post-substitution and he has intelligent movement a la Stoke when he ran into the channels frequently and caused problems. I think this role would suit him well and i'd even try it out if he was behind Owen and Oba, the pace and movement and skill that particularly Jonas has would have a lot of teams scared.

Would play him behind Viduka and Martins when they are fit. I think he'd do a much better job than Owen who is good in that role, but i think Jonas can do better. Jonas did some good passes against Spurs post-substitution and he has intelligent movement a la Stoke when he ran into the channels frequently and caused problems. I think this role would suit him well and i'd even try it out if he was behind Owen and Oba, the pace and movement and skill that particularly Jonas has would have a lot of teams scared.

He doesn't have much of an end product though. Owen playing in that role is proven to have one.

He doesn't have much of an end product though. Owen playing in that role is proven to have one.

He doesn't when it comes to crosses, but remember Villa? He was in the box and on the byline for Martins second. His movement against Stoke got him into those areas and i think he'd have plenty of end product if he played in that position properly. He has all the attributes for it imo and his short passing range is pretty decent a la Spurs with the ball into Martins which should have been a pen.

He doesn't when it comes to crosses, but remember Villa? He was in the box and on the byline for Martins second. His movement against Stoke got him into those areas and i think he'd have plenty of end product if he played in that position properly. He has all the attributes for it imo and his short passing range is pretty decent a la Spurs with the ball into Martins which should have been a pen.

based on ??

My housemate summed him up well sadly. A lot of running but no end product.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but we seriously lack the pace/movement to make him effective.

he has the stupid problem of holding on to the ball waiting for movement instead of hoofing it into the box even if theres no-one there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but we seriously lack the pace/movement to make him effective.

he has the stupid problem of holding on to the ball waiting for movement instead of hoofing it into the box even if theres no-one there.

He couldn't even make a simple 10 yard pass to slip Owen in for that chance on Sunday tbh.

He couldn't even make a simple 10 yard pass to slip Owen in for that chance on Sunday tbh.

He was falling on his arse at the time though.

Guest BooBoo

Nixon, your quoting skills are as competent as your moralising.

And yes, Enrique was lambasted for a wretched run of games. I'm incredulous though at the way people fall over themselves to stick up for the Spiderman. That mask must be pretty rank now, being stuck down his kecks all season due to his allergy to shooting.

Always looking for the runner. He looks at his best with Enrique tbh. I like him, but his play is limited as we all know.

Guest Heneage

Nixon, your quoting skills are as competent as your moralising.

And yes, Enrique was lambasted for a wretched run of games. I'm incredulous though at the way people fall over themselves to stick up for the Spiderman. That mask must be pretty rank now, being stuck down his kecks all season due to his allergy to shooting.

What my moralising has to do with anything is beyond me.

Didn't you also say we should sell Enrique, just out of curiosity all knowing Otter, who would you have played in his place? Edgar? Colo? Duff? I'm beginning to think Otter is quite an appropriate username. Jonas could improve his assists and goals no doubt. But when we have a 26 year old midfielder who is highly unfit , a 34 year old Man Utd reject, and a former England striker who right now looks about as dangerous as a cat in a bath.

If the criteria was about end product we'd have no bugger in the team.

Like fttw says, he's the least of our worries. He's one of the only midfielders we have that doesn't play with their back to the opposition goal. Of course he doesn't always do something, but at least he always tries to beat his man and take the ball forward. Wish the same could be said for the rest of the 'creative' midfield.

Ever ask yourself why there is no-one there? His problem is that his brain and his feet are about 5 minutes ahead of anyone else on the team's. If we go down he'll be snapped up by a bigger club than ours and then we'll see his real talent.