Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

I thought he did on in general but we really need to find the cunt who has threatened his family if he ever does anything in a promising position. We have seen his 'hands in prayer position shaking up and down' thing many more times already than we ever saw shearer's one arm raised celebration!

http://steynian.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/clown-shoes-red-yellow500.jpg

:lol:

sums him up sometimes tbh. I'd still rather have him in the side than someone like Lovenkrands who isn't interested in playing on the wing. He worked hard and defensively was very important.

He runs into a player and loses the ball. That's not a good player.

Some people just see someone who runs at people and automatically reckon he must be good. You actually have to do something with the ball.

Every time I see him running at goal, I have time to guess what new and exciting way he's going to completely fuck it up before he does.

He has value in his movement alone. He is not even close to one of our biggest worries. The fact is he stretches the defense and actually runs is a huge plus. The criticisms here are a bit like the ones that were always levelled at Dyer ... and at least Jonas isn't always crocked.

Like the people that criticise Harper I ask this: Who exactly would we replace Jonas with? Who could we possibly buy who would be better?

We can not do better, so lets move on and look at the areas we could reasonably improve.

I can't resist getting involved in this. CaliMag: who is saying 'get rid'? Pointless argument.

It's an entirely worthwhile debate because Jonas, when I've seen him this year, has been, well, rubbish. Acceptable at this level, perhaps.

A good player does something with the ball. Jonas, 9 times out of 10, doesn't. I want players in my side who DO something. If that means they don't run as many miles, I don't give a fuck. If they're doing something productive with the ball, then I'd be pleased.

He has value in his movement alone. He is not even close to one of our biggest worries. The fact is he stretches the defense and actually runs is a huge plus. The criticisms here are a bit like the ones that were always levelled at Dyer ... and at least Jonas isn't always crocked.

Like the people that criticise Harper I ask this: Who exactly would we replace Jonas with? Who could we possibly buy who would be better?

We can not do better, so lets move on and look at the areas we could reasonably improve.

Yes - agree with every word of that.

Jonas, while having little to no finish product tonight, was brilliant in holding up the ball and relieving the pressure from the defence, in addition to his general defensive duties - for evidence: see his run in the second half from our own 18yard box to their area.

He's the only player in our side that ever gets me off my seat (without scoring a goal - take this both ways) so I quite enjoy having him in the side from an entertainment factor.

This is not to say that I think he's an amazing player and is vital to our chances of winning the league, but it'd be a much duller set of fixtures, which is a most depressing thought given the level of entertainment currently being served.

I can't resist getting involved in this. CaliMag: who is saying 'get rid'? Pointless argument.

It's an entirely worthwhile debate because Jonas, when I've seen him this year, has been, well, rubbish. Acceptable at this level, perhaps.

A good player does something with the ball. Jonas, 9 times out of 10, doesn't. I want players in my side who DO something. If that means they don't run as many miles, I don't give a fuck. If they're doing something productive with the ball, then I'd be pleased.

That's only half an analysis as well. If he's running back and winning tackles in his own half of the pitch rather than standing with his hands on his hips then that's productive in it's own way. It helps produce 1-0 wins for a start.

The first time I saw Jonás Gutiérrez play was Barcelona at home against Mallorca, three seasons ago. Guy made an incredible run cutting through our defense and rounded out Valdés who took him down. Gutiérrez then proceeded to calmly pick up the ball and shoot one of the tamest penalties I have ever seen, the ball moved so slowly that I probably could have outran it.

Yes - agree with every word of that.

x2

People are blind if they see no value in a guy who can burst out of your defense and put the opposition all the way back into their half. Sometimes it will come to nothing, sometimes it will be useful.

He put in several good crosses today, then you have the ball Ranger stopped. Then the corners we get. You cannot ignore the space, rest, time etc he gives the rest of our ENTIRE side with his running purely because he sometimes cocks up the finish.

Talk about ridiculously short sighted