Would you want Keegan back now?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No Keegan return for me. Don't get me wrong he's an absolute legend in these parts but I think people have to realise we have to look forwards not backwards.

Shearer- Massive gamble, hardly set the world alight last term

Keegan- Lacks the skills a manager needs in this day and age

Keegan proved just over a year ago he had the skills a manager needs in this day and age. See the 4-3-3 for example. Obviously he's a s**** tactician though.

I love how the "piss poor tactically" line still gets trotted out, despite the fact we all saw with our own eyes the reinvention of Michael Owen as a playmaker (something no one else had ever tried to do).

In my opinion that was more by accident than design.

Your opinion means f*** all though.

Had Capello done that he'd have been a tactical genius, because it's Keegan it was an accident. Righto.

Maybe so about my opinion but it is a forum is it not?, so if that's the case your opinion means fuck all.

I would have Keegan back as a manager, he is a superb man motivator, he gets us playing confident, assured football. He won't be back though. Ever. I think this will have stopped him ever considering management again.

I'd like to think this outcome would open the door for any possible return.

I would have Keegan back as a manager, he is a superb man motivator, he gets us playing confident, assured football. He won't be back though. Ever. I think this will have stopped him ever considering management again.

I'd like to think this outcome would open the door for any possible return.

I doubt it, his management time is done imo, lets be honest if ma hadn't hired him would he have ever gone into management again? I think he'll be happy with the punditry side of things now and good luck to him.

I don't want to see his greedy monkey face anymore.

Seriously this guy gave the toon a lot of good memories, but I am shocked at the reply "He's good, passion, good memories bla bla bla", it's like in the football you only know a manager and he's called Keegan.

Wake up mates, you have tons of managers out there with passion and better football tactical knowledge and most importantly they won't walk their ass off and leave the fans and team helpless. (Not to say I totally blame Keegan here, but I meant many other managers won't do this).

You're most likely a WUM but i shall humour you.

Could we have some names please ?

No Keegan return for me. Don't get me wrong he's an absolute legend in these parts but I think people have to realise we have to look forwards not backwards.

Keegan proved just over a year ago he had the skills a manager needs in this day and age. See the 4-3-3 for example. Obviously he's a s**** tactician though.

its absolute s*** to say a manager from the 90s is out of place nowadays,...nobody has an answer to Fergusson and wenger....both older than keegan,.. and then theres SBR was still managing when he was 15 years older than keegan is now.

Wenger is a bad example, tactically I don't think he's owt special at all

It's amazing how people can talk like this, I mean doesn't it smack a bit of arrogance? Here we are in the Championship with Hughton in charge waiting to see if there is going to be a Xmas sale on players and we have fans picking faults with Wenger as a manager  :cheesy:

Just in case anyone's unaware of this, Gus Hiddink isn't waiting by the phone in case we ring...

its absolute s*** to say a manager from the 90s is out of place nowadays,...nobody has an answer to Fergusson and wenger....both older than keegan,.. and then theres SBR was still managing when he was 15 years older than keegan is now.

It's amazing how people can talk like this, I mean doesn't it smack a bit of arrogance? Here we are in the Championship with Hughton in charge waiting to see if there is going to be a Xmas sale on players and we have fans picking faults with Wenger as a manager  :cheesy:

Just in case anyone's unaware of this, Gus Hiddink isn't waiting by the phone in case we ring...

What about Hitzfeld?  :shifty:

what do you mean he isn't :frantic: oh well always the back up plan of jose mourinho   :crazy2:

When was the last time Wenger won two manager of the month awards in a row.  :facepalm:

We need to move on, Wenger is from a by gone era, an anachronism, we need to move forward with a bright new manager like Hughton.

Seriously this guy gave the toon a lot of good memories, but I am shocked at the reply "He's good, passion, good memories bla bla bla", it's like in the football you only know a manager and he's called Keegan.

Wake up mates, you have tons of managers out there with passion and better football tactical knowledge and most importantly they won't walk their ass off and leave the fans and team helpless. (Not to say I totally blame Keegan here, but I meant many other managers won't do this).

Are you implying that Keegan is the best manager there is?

I would guess not, so I'm assuming that you're implying that he's the best available to us. If so then how do you know that?

None of us know who'd be available to us, not even the club at this stage I'd expect, so all that the people who are wanting Keegan back are doing is pre-empting the result of that process, why? The answer can only be that they're letting their sentiment towards Keegan make them unwilling to consider anyone else.

That's not a good idea in my view and it's been one of the major factors in NUFC being in it's present state of turmoil. Shepherd allowed sentiment to influence his decisions and ended up buying players we couldn't afford, bringing in both players and managers based upon reputation rather than benefit to the team, trying for instant success rather than building something on solid foundations for the future, and that left the club in a perilous financial state when it didn't work. Ashley let sentiment influence his decisions and bought the club without finding out the true financial position of the club and then make the same mistake as Shepherd by appointing a manager to appease the fans when he wasn't in a position to give that manager what he wanted without considering the consequences of not doing so. Far too often crucial decisions have been made based upon sentiment rather than rational thought at this club and look where it's left us. Now is the time for that to end.

So basically what I want is for there to actually be a process to deciding the next manager and I want that process to result in us employing the best manager available to us at that time. At this point no-one can know who that is, we don't even know our options, let alone who amongst those options is going to be the best for the club. So, anyone who is certain about it at this stage is making a bit mistake and I only hope that whoever it is that will end up being responsible for making that decision doesn't think they know the answer already.

For the record, if after that process has run its course the decision is made that either Alan Shearer or Kevin Keegan is the best man for the job then fine, I'll be happy with that. I have to say that I doubt that either of them is the best available to us, but as with everyone else that's an opinion made without even knowing who the candidates are, let alone being qualified to decide between them. I also doubt that Keegan's even a candidate as I don't think he'd want to come back here after all this.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want a professionally run club from now on and you don't have a professionally run club if you make decisions as important as who the manager should be by saying: "This bloke's the only man for the job" without even considering who's available.

Are you implying that Keegan is the best manager there is?

I would guess not, so I'm assuming that you're implying that he's the best available to us. If so then how do you know that?

None of us know who'd be available to us, not even the club at this stage I'd expect, so all that the people who are wanting Keegan back are doing is pre-empting the result of that process, why? The answer can only be that they're letting their sentiment towards Keegan make them unwilling to consider anyone else.

That's not a good idea in my view and it's been one of the major factors in NUFC being in it's present state of turmoil. Shepherd allowed sentiment to influence his decisions and ended up buying players we couldn't afford, bringing in both players and managers based upon reputation rather than benefit to the team, trying for instant success rather than building something on solid foundations for the future, and that left the club in a perilous financial state when it didn't work. Ashley let sentiment influence his decisions and bought the club without finding out the true financial position of the club and then make the same mistake as Shepherd by appointing a manager to appease the fans when he wasn't in a position to give that manager what he wanted without considering the consequences of not doing so. Far too often crucial decisions have been made based upon sentiment rather than rational thought at this club and look where it's left us. Now is the time for that to end.

So basically what I want is for there to actually be a process to deciding the next manager and I want that process to result in us employing the best manager available to us at that time. At this point no-one can know who that is, we don't even know our options, let alone who amongst those options is going to be the best for the club. So, anyone who is certain about it at this stage is making a bit mistake and I only hope that whoever it is that will end up being responsible for making that decision doesn't think they know the answer already.

For the record, if after that process has run its course the decision is made that either Alan Shearer or Kevin Keegan is the best man for the job then fine, I'll be happy with that. I have to say that I doubt that either of them is the best available to us, but as with everyone else that's an opinion made without even knowing who the candidates are, let alone being qualified to decide between them. I also doubt that Keegan's even a candidate as I don't think he'd want to come back here after all this.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want a professionally run club from now on and you don't have a professionally run club if you make decisions as important as who the manager should be by saying: "This bloke's the only man for the job" without even considering who's available.

Good post.

Wow wasnt expecting that as a response :lol:

In answer to your opening comments, I neither think Keegan is the best there is nor do I think he is the best that is available to us. I dont think he should ever be our manager ever again. I appreciate the tone in my comment suggested I felt KK was my choice. Bad wording.

"Iliketoonarmy" suggested they had a list of names ready to share so I just wondered who was on that list.

I am 100% in agreement with you in the way that we need to choose the next manager. During the whole Kinnear saga, I held out some tiny hope that we may make an approach for Martinez while he was still at Swansea. He is young, ambitious, comes across as intelligent, appears, so far, to try to get his teams to play attractive passing football. Ticked a good few boxes for me and in going to Wigan, it proved that we was ready to leave Swansea if the offer was put to thim.

This is the biggest mystery going though. Who is out there that might be willing to join us? I just asked the question in response to the post as some names appeared to be available

:thup:

Guest Brummiemag

It makes me sick and angry to think if it wasnt for Ashley acting like an arrogant arsehole, Keegan would be our manager and in all probability we would be playing entertaining attacking football and pushing for a Europa League spot this season. We are years and years away from that now.

Ashley has set the club back by a decade or probably more

It makes me sick and angry to think if it wasnt for Ashley acting like an arrogant arsehole, Keegan would be our manager and in all probability we would be playing entertaining attacking football and pushing for a Europa League spot this season. We are years and years away from that now.

Sorry to have to point out something so painfully obvious, but if it wasn't for Ashley we wouldn't have had Keegan as a manager in the first place. Or second place.

Sorry to have to point out something so painfully obvious, but if it wasn't for Ashley we wouldn't have had Keegan as a manager in the first place. Or second place.

No ****, that's not the point he's making though is it?  :lol:

No, it's just the reason why his "point" is idiotic.

He was referring to the mistakes Ashley made after appointing Keegan.  Whereas you are 'praising Ashley for appointing Keegan....?  Sorry, I'm not actually sure what the **** your on about.

I haven't been for the last few days actually other than you think Keegan is a knob.

He was referring to the mistakes Ashley made after appointing Keegan.  Whereas you are 'praising Ashley for appointing Keegan....?  Sorry, I'm not actually sure what the **** your on about.

I haven't been for the last few days actually other than you think Keegan is a knob.

I'm not praising Ashley for appointing Keegan. It was perhaps his most stupid decision.

I'm not praising Ashley for appointing Keegan. It was perhaps his most stupid decision.

That was my best guess.  What was your point then?  Keegan wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for Ashley, so.....

Guest Brummiemag

Do you think Ashley acted reasonably after appointing Keegan?

You dont think Ashley has set the club back by a decade or more?

Are you still an Ashley supporter after all that has happened?

as a rebuttal this reply really makes no sense. brummiemag is correct to say that, were it not for Ashley acting like an arrogant arsehole, we'd still have keegan. Saying that he appointed him in the first place is not really relevant, as he wasn't acting like "an arrogant arsehole" when he did that. Brummie's contention is with that particular behaviour, not Ashley appointing KK in the first place. The fact that he appointed a good manager is a positive, but the negatives in acting as Ashley did after the appointment not only invalidate those positives but actually outweigh them to a much greater degree. It's like saying X had a good idea but when he put the idea into practice X messed it up terribly. Arguing that he had the good idea in the first place in no way excuses messing it up in practice.

Do you think Ashley acted reasonably after appointing Keegan?

You dont think Ashley has set the club back by a decade or more?

Are you still an Ashley supporter after all that has happened?

:lol:

Sorry, but I'm not one of these dewy-eyed my-hero-right-or-wrong types. I don't "support" anyone the way that you support Keegan.

Ashley's done some good things -- stabilising the debt, trying to get the wage bill under control -- and some really stupid things -- not investing in the first team, appointing Keegan.

as a rebuttal this reply really makes no sense. brummiemag is correct to say that, were it not for Ashley acting like an arrogant arsehole, we'd still have keegan. Saying that he appointed him in the first place is not really relevant, as he wasn't acting like "an arrogant arsehole" when he did that. Brummie's contention is with that particular behaviour, not Ashley appointing KK in the first place. The fact that he appointed a good manager is a positive, but the negatives in acting as Ashley did after the appointment not only invalidate those positives but actually outweigh them to a much greater degree. It's like saying X had a good idea but when he put the idea into practice X messed it up terribly. Arguing that he had the good idea in the first place in no way excuses messing it up in practice.

You're wrong. Appointing Keegan was dumb. All that has happened afterwards was simply the playing out of the consequences of that initial bad decision.

Appointing keegan wasnt wrong atall, we'd have gone down the season before last if we hadnt. Had us playing the best we've played in a while in his short time here yet again, treating him like a twat is what was wrong.