So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Newcastle United's interim manager Joe Kinnear says the club's future will become clearer after their trip to play Chelsea on 22 November.

Owner Mike Ashley put the Magpies up for sale in September but, despite reported interest, there have been no firm bids for the St James' Park side.

Kinnear said: "I know that after the Chelsea match it is D-day. After that it will all be revealed.

"Either the club will be sold or they have changed their minds."

Until his side travel to Stamford Bridge, Kinnear's own future remains up in the air.

He has been at St James' Park on a rolling monthly contract since 26 September but knows a new owner could signal the end of his reign.  606: DEBATE

Could Ashley Return?

mrkgw1

And the former Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest boss admits he has no idea who the potential buyers of Newcastle are, or whether the club will end up being sold.

"I've always said I would honour what I do," added Kinnear.

"In the short term I will do my best but it might get sold under my feet. We've had Russians and South Africans but nobody has stepped up. But your guess is as good as mine.

Kinnear wants to end Newcastle uncertainty

"Myself, Mike Ashley, (executive director, football) Dennis Wise and (managing director) Derek Llambias will all sit down and talk."

Kinnear, however, also wants to know if he will have money to spend in the January transfer window if the current regime do keep control of the club.

The 61-year-old explained: "I have asked if there is a 'game plan' if the club isn't sold. Obviously if I do stay I would like finances."

And he feels the club's future needs to be sorted out as soon as possible.

"We need to have clear-the-air talks," Kinnear added. "That would be good for all of us. Myself, the players, the fans and everybody associated with the club."

-----------------------------

watch the interview (its only 3 mins long) Joe cant even remember Llambias name :D

have we ever been linked with a russian takeover?

Guest michaelfoster

have we ever been linked with a russian takeover?

Yes, the guy who went to Northumbria Uni is a billionaire

I honestly just dont know what to make of all this. Why is JK coming out with information, which to the fans is vital, yet the way he puts it across, its like he doesnt really know what he is talking about .

He tells us that after Chelsea its D-Day, yet he also says "your guess is as good as mine"... well either you know or you dont. If you dont, shut up and if you do can you make it cold hard facts please.

Just making us look more and more stupid and ridiculously indecisive

Give Joe a chance, I say. At least he wants the job. The last blown-out old has-been took us into the Champions League.

You mean the guy who had proved himself a success all over Europe.

Nice comparison

Bit of a daft comparison like. JFK is a great short term appointment to lift morale, but other than that, Bobby even in his current state has more football nous than Kinnear will have in a lifetime.

I honestly just dont know what to make of all this. Why is JK coming out with information, which to the fans is vital, yet the way he puts it across, its like he doesnt really know what he is talking about .

He tells us that after Chelsea its D-Day, yet he also says "your guess is as good as mine"... well either you know or you dont. If you dont, shut up and if you do can you make it cold hard facts please.

Just making us look more and more stupid and ridiculously indecisive

Isn't the Chelsea game his last game according to his original contract?  It would make sense that "D-Day" would be the day that any decisions about JFK's future would be decided.

Not sure if it's a misquote or just been taken out of context or if it's JFK just making shit up.

In yet another cruel twist of fate i can see it happening, and we'll give him a two-year contract or something. And it'll be a very, very dark day for the club.

Meanwhile, can someone explain to a simpleton (me) what 'due diligence' means?

As with almost everything in its history, Newcastle United has been on the market at the wrong time.

In the current climate nobody with money is going to pay over the odds for ANYTHING ; there was a housing auction in Cardiff recently where 200,000 pound properties were not being sold, even for 30,000 ; NOBODY bought at the Reserve prices and a few sales were made afterwards when private deals were made between seller & buyer i.e., the sellers dropped their price through the floor to get some cash....

When Ashley selling his 'asset' for a profit on what he paid for it a year ago, then its like someone trying to sell a house for the same inflated price as last year...its not going to happen unless a VERY rich person wants a plaything that's also going to cost an arm & a leg to run...

They will all be holding him to ransom, knowing that he will either have to bite the bullet and reduce the price OR bite the bullet in another way and face trying to run the club again with an enormous spend in the offing to escape relegation ; he will also have to take a chance on Kinnear, at least until the end of season, and that means more risk of money being spent on players a new manager wouldn't want....

Potential buyers have all the aces - if Ashley sticks out, they walk away ; there are other clubs who will need big finance soon, and some are very big names...Buyers know that Ashley has dug himself a huge hole and there is a risk that, in his chancer style, he will be tempted to continue digging !

His luck has run out at this point and his only gamble left(IF he wants to get the 300m that is being bandied about), is that he hangs on, tries to turn the club round, either with Kinnear or(more likely) a new manager. Either way, he is going to have to eat a large slice of Humble Pie...

I believe that its looking increasingly as if Ashley is going to have to keep the club and this could mean even more problems because he will, in my opinion, have to get rid of Wise & Llambias ; no decent potential manager is going to want to work with them..KK and the LMA will see to that..

Watch for Shearer coming in, poss with Rob Lee, the board being cleared out...on the other hand, there COULD be a surprise late buyer by the end of the month - time will tell....

For Yorkie's benefit, 'Due Diligence' basically means that any potential buyer has to satisfy themselves that the club IS worth the money Ashley wants ; that there are no skeletons in the cupboard, esp financial ones(Ashley failed to do this properly, or he would have known about the club's big debts before he bought). This usually means getting access to the books/accounts etc and letting your Accountants pore through it all. There are more aspects to it, but that is basically what happens.

merlin is spot on about due diligence.

i was involved with due diligance when the company i worked for sold. basically we provided EVERY SINGLE document relating to our assets....so detailed that we had to provide agreements withing everything...hell even ones involved with our assets' COPY MACHINES AND COMPUTERS! So due diligence can take 2 days or 3 years. it all depends on how much detail the seller and the buyer are requesting and what they can agree on.

I'd like to think our books are clean...ashley would have had his crew clean it up and make them proper accounts - any businessman would start there I would think.  So...yah.

Due diligence does not take 2 to 3 years  - don't be ridiculous.  As someone who used to undertake due diligence for one of the big four accounting firms, I can tell you now that it is a 2-6 week job depending on the scope and  information available.

You can get 4 types of due diligence which will run concurrently (well should) - financial, which is the one being discussed here, commercial, helping a buyer understand the market the business is in, its position in that market, growth prospects etc, legal - checking the legal history, contracts etc and management, understanding the management team, their capabilities etc.  You could also have environmental due diligence but not really applicable in this circumstance.

It can be run in different ways but I would have expected that there would have been a 'dataroom' set up, probably a virtual dataroom where loads of documents will be placed, financial, legal etc which interested parties will have been able to look at - thus each party gets the same information and its a level playing field.

How can it possibly be "The club will be sold or they will change their minds". Wouldnt it be a case of "It will be sold or else no one wants them so Mike Ashley has no other choice than to carry on under duress"

I think I would rather hear nothig than hear shit like this. Just casuing more unneccesary speculation.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Interesting quotes form this mornings Journal

“I think he’s prepared to sit down and say ‘okay – where do we go from here’. At the moment – and I know this for definite because he told me – he is talking to three people. But they haven’t come up with the goods yet.

“When he talked to me, he said ‘we’ve got three people involved in buying, I’m fairly optimistic but I’m waiting to see if they come up with the cash’. He said ‘all will be revealed after Chelsea (on November 22)’.”

They also say that funds need to be showen before due diligence takes place. Its all very contradicting

http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle-sports/football-news/2008/11/01/kinnear-s-thinking-long-term-61634-22160674/

Guest sicko2ndbest

Portsmouth are involved in negotiations with a South African consortium who want to buy the club for £40m. (Daily Mail)

I personally think we will be sold!

Out of the 7-8 fishes that we originally hooked, at least one will bite!

i wouldnt be too sure, it looks like the bait has gone a bit off.

Those latest quote also dont offer any suggestion that he is negotiating on the price. Seems a bit like he still has a figure that he wants and is sticking to it. Hopefully that isnt just my cynicism reading too much into it

It may depend on how the next few results go. If a feel-good atmosphere develops among the crowd, Ashley may feel that the hysteria that initially drove him out has died down sufficiently to make the club manageable.

I think Ashley made the best decision at the time when he decided to sell. A kind of civil war was starting to develop which would have dragged the team and the club downhill fast. I'm commenting from a distance here, but things now seem a bit more stable. A lot of people seem a bit fed up of all the conflict now and just want to get on with supporting the club.

As with almost everything in its history, Newcastle United has been on the market at the wrong time.

In the current climate nobody with money is going to pay over the odds for ANYTHING ; there was a housing auction in Cardiff recently where 200,000 pound properties were not being sold, even for 30,000 ; NOBODY bought at the Reserve prices and a few sales were made afterwards when private deals were made between seller & buyer i.e., the sellers dropped their price through the floor to get some cash....

When Ashley selling his 'asset' for a profit on what he paid for it a year ago, then its like someone trying to sell a house for the same inflated price as last year...its not going to happen unless a VERY rich person wants a plaything that's also going to cost an arm & a leg to run...

They will all be holding him to ransom, knowing that he will either have to bite the bullet and reduce the price OR bite the bullet in another way and face trying to run the club again with an enormous spend in the offing to escape relegation ; he will also have to take a chance on Kinnear, at least until the end of season, and that means more risk of money being spent on players a new manager wouldn't want....

Potential buyers have all the aces - if Ashley sticks out, they walk away ; there are other clubs who will need big finance soon, and some are very big names...Buyers know that Ashley has dug himself a huge hole and there is a risk that, in his chancer style, he will be tempted to continue digging !

His luck has run out at this point and his only gamble left(IF he wants to get the 300m that is being bandied about), is that he hangs on, tries to turn the club round, either with Kinnear or(more likely) a new manager. Either way, he is going to have to eat a large slice of Humble Pie...

I believe that its looking increasingly as if Ashley is going to have to keep the club and this could mean even more problems because he will, in my opinion, have to get rid of Wise & Llambias ; no decent potential manager is going to want to work with them..KK and the LMA will see to that..

Watch for Shearer coming in, poss with Rob Lee, the board being cleared out...on the other hand, there COULD be a surprise late buyer by the end of the month - time will tell....

For Yorkie's benefit, 'Due Diligence' basically means that any potential buyer has to satisfy themselves that the club IS worth the money Ashley wants ; that there are no skeletons in the cupboard, esp financial ones(Ashley failed to do this properly, or he would have known about the club's big debts before he bought). This usually means getting access to the books/accounts etc and letting your Accountants pore through it all. There are more aspects to it, but that is basically what happens.

agree with most of this. The price must be too high.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=56245.msg1538771#msg1538771

Guest Mucky01

what would happen if MA couldn’t get a buyer so instead announces that he’s going to have a shares flotation for 45% of NUFC?

So thats an emphatic no then. Thought as much.

So why did you say him staying was fine by you then?

Its called the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty.  Ive looked at whats happened and everything doesnt add up as nicely as you and a lot of people would have me beleive so I'm choosing to keep my mind open.

Are you satisfied with the ambition shown in the last 3 transfer windows?

Are you satisfied that no football targets have been defined by him at any time?

The answers to those two questions means I don't consider him "innocent".

Transfer window 1: Allardyce in limbo as takeover happens

Transfer window 2: Keegan joins just a few days before it shuts

Transfer window 3: Happy with it overall, pissed off we didn't replace Milner, or use the money from his sale

Not enough there to go on to display lack of ambition. Had Woodgate and Modric joined us, you wouldn't be talking about fucking ambition

Transfer window 1: Allardyce in limbo as takeover happens

Transfer window 2: Keegan joins just a few days before it shuts

Transfer window 3: Happy with it overall, pissed off we didn't replace Milner, or use the money from his sale

Not enough there to go on to display lack of ambition. Had Woodgate and Modric joined us, you wouldn't be talking about f***ing ambition

The transfer windows were shite, we should have let Dyer go for £4 million and Milner go for £6 million and should have paid £11 million for Jonas, we would have spent £21 million more and everybody would be happy.  Where we've gone wrong is doing deals which were actually good for the club.