So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Thing is with the Nigerians is that the consortium have around £350m according to NVA management and are trying to get more money together. How are they going to deal with the debt and get in signings as well if there trying to get the money to buy the club now?

That's obviously not all the money they have or they wouldn't be spunking the lot on a overpriced Football club.  Its a consortium so its more likely that each member has put in a certain agreed amount to buy the club, but none, or just not all, are willing to pay more for it.  So instead they look for more people to invest.  Doesn't mean they're all putting their life savings in and coming up short of the asking price.

I'd have KK back in a crack.

If something aint done quickly we are going down. A buyout and a return of KK will get the fans and players buzzing again, and its still early enough in the season for it to not be completely wasted.

A buyout fair enough, but the return of Keegan is NOT the way forward. Too much water under the bridge..... three times would be a total joke.

I hear what you say about getting the place buzzing again.. but until when? I don't think he was the 100% innocent party in this fiasco - yes, he was made to look a fool, but Keegan is Keegan, and he's ALWAYS ran away when the going gets even slightly tough. If he loved this bloody club as much as he harped on about how he did, then he catergorically would not have walked out, knowing the state this team was going to be left in. He is to blame too for this, although not in the magnitude that Ashley is.

Lets face it, as the dust settles, its becoming obvious that it WAS a masterstroke getting Keegan back, but only in the sense that it got season tickets sold, which im convinced was the only reason he was brought back in the first place.

Its time to cut the cord and move on - with new owners in place it becomes a bit brighter of a proposition for managers. Its time to stop being so pathetically patriotic, and get a tactically sound foreign coach in - basically what we were crying out for ever since SBR left.

Like the wonderful and world famous Juande Ramos?

The problem is we aren't copying Spurs well enough.

If we'd done it good and proper we'd be sorted by now in last place. Instead those bastards have gone and put in the most super-uber DoF-Kontinental-Massif and as a result are reaping the rewards, having staked a strong early claim for the spoon.

The only way we can compete in this environment is to hire 3 more directors of football, each less experienced than the last, and let them all buy and sell whoever they want. We need 10 more super-scouts, but no money to back them with beyond what is raised by selling our better players. Only in this way we can beat Spurs at their own game. And what is best, when the new manager is fired after 5 rounds nobody will be able to say he is to blame.

A Nigerian consortium planning to bid for Newcastle needs to raise an "extra £50m to £100m" to buy the club, with owner Mike Ashley holding out for £400m. (Daily Mirror)

If successful, they would make Everton striker Yakubu their top target. (Daily Mirror)

The consortium would also aim to bring back Kevin Keegan as the club's manager. (The Sun)

A Nigerian consortium planning to bid for Newcastle needs to raise an "extra £50m to £100m" to buy the club, with owner Mike Ashley holding out for £400m. (Daily Mirror)

If successful, they would make Everton striker Yakubu their top target. (Daily Mirror)

The consortium would also aim to bring back Kevin Keegan as the club's manager. (The Sun)

The Daily Mirror will link us with every Nigerian going in the next week or so.

So much for the manager being in charge of who comes in and out, eh?

I have doubts about whether this bid is genuine, but if it is, these investors might well want to bring in Nigerian players to make the club more popular in Nigeria, and to add some extra excitement and interest for themselves.

Guest guinness_fiend

I have doubts about whether this bid is genuine, but if it is, these investors might well want to bring in Nigerian players to make the club more popular in Nigeria, and to add some extra excitement and interest for themselves.

"Might" being the operative word.  The Nigerian investors are likely to be no different than their European or Arabian counterparts.  The only reason why the majority of people on here are anxious is because their understanding of global business is limited to Europe and The Gulf.

Did we ever find out who the Black Dood with the dreads was?

The plot thickens. Or maybe not

Where have you been? it was Nile Ranger..

I missed the concluding episode!

Too busy bashing yourself over 'Pie'...to a million places

"Might" being the operative word.  The Nigerian investors are likely to be no different than their European or Arabian counterparts.  The only reason why the majority of people on here are anxious is because their understanding of global business is limited to Europe and The Gulf.

What strikes me as different about this story is that it's not about a single owner or a pre-existing investment group. It sounds like a consortium of businessmen are being put together specifically for the purpose of buying the club. It's a bit like the Magpie group that Sir John Hall put together many years ago, only with Nigerians instead of Geordies.

Now what is actually attracting these businessmen to the idea? I doubt if it's about making money. It's more likely the emotional idea about having a team in the English Premiership with a Nigerian identity.

You occasionally hear of these attempts at putting a coalition of smaller businessmen together and they don't seem to come off. I suspect this is actually a very tentative idea at the moment which will struggle when people really have to hand their money over.

That's if the story has any substance in the first place.

What strikes me as different about this story is that it's not about a single owner or a pre-existing investment group. It sounds like a consortium of businessmen are being put together specifically for the purpose of buying the club. It's a bit like the Magpie group that Sir John Hall put together many years ago, only with Nigerians instead of Geordies.

Now what is actually attracting these businessmen to the idea? I doubt if it's about making money. It's more likely the emotional idea about having a team in the English Premiership with a Nigerian identity.

You occasionally hear of these attempts at putting a coalition of smaller businessmen together and they don't seem to come off. I suspect this is actually a very tentative idea at the moment which will struggle when people really have to hand their money over.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Guest Brazilianbob

Just because Nigeria has a well earned reputation for financial scams, the general concensus of opinion seems to be that the consortium won't be able to come up with the cash, but lets not forget that Nigeria is one of the major oil producers on the planet.  If the money men are in oil I imagine they will have no trouble  at all stumping up a piddling £400m and we may find that our transfer budget exceeds our wildest dreams. If it all goes through.  Mind you, I am still waiting for the consortium to ask Ashley to send them his bank account details so they can transfer the funds.

we all doubted that last time and look where that got us, we'll be sold for 800 million in two seasons when we're in the championship. i'll be amazed if he gets 400 million, utterly amazed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3062921/Mike-Ashley-hires-Keith-Harris-to-attract-new-buyers-for-Newcastle---Football.html

Keith Harris, the former Football League chairman, has been officially hired by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley in an attempt to off-load his strife-torn club, it was announced.

It is understood investment banker Harris may already have an overseas buyer lined up for Ashley and that a takeover could soon be completed which would pave the way for the appointment of a permanent manager.

Despite suggestions Ashley had placed a £480 million price tag on St James’ Park, it is believed the sports retail tycoon would accept an offer £250 million for the club he only bought for £134.4 million in May last year before ploughing in £110 million to reduce the club’s debts.

That conservative price bracket supported suggestions on Tyneside yesterday that a bold Nigerian bid had to be taken with a pinch of salt because they are already said to be ready to spend as much as £350 million in a takeover.

A statement from the St James’ Park club confirmed London investment bankers Seymour Pierce, of which Harris is chairman, had been enlisted as a Nigerian consortium revealed audacious plans to take the Premier League club off Ashley’s hands.

“The board of Newcastle United can today confirm it has appointed the London-based investment bank Seymour Pierce to act on the potential sale of the club,” a club statement said.

“All matters relating to the sale of the club, including inquiries from interested parties, should go through Seymour Pierce. The club will be making no further comment at this time.” Harris has an impressive record as a football deal-broker and the latest development shows Ashley is keen to expedite the sale of the club.

A fierce backlash caused by the resignation of Kevin Keegan forced Ashley to put the club up for sale and head off to the Middle East last week in a high-profile attempt to engineer a quick sale of a club that is already in 19th place in the Premier League table.

Chris Nathaniel, chief executive officer of the NVA Management, which is spearheading the Nigerian proposal, yesterday suggested his group of businessmen would meet an asking price of £400 million.

Nathaniel said: “All along I have been working very hard to get wealthy and football-loving Nigerian entrepreneurs to buy the club since Mike Ashley indicated his willingness to sell.”

Guest Gallowgate Mag

A NIGERIAN consortium of media moguls and oil barons want to buy Newcastle — and bring back Kevin Keegan as boss.

The eight-strong group are willing to pay more than £300million for the club and are eager to get down to talks with Toon owner Mike Ashley.

Ashley has been in the Middle East looking for buyers after accepting the supporters want him out. But the Nigerians represent a previously unexplored avenue.

The consortium has already lodged a bond of £200m with a respected lawyer so Newcastle can see the colour of their money.

Two months ago, they made a flying visit to the UK to watch the Geordies’ game at Manchester United and have been working on a buyout plan ever since.

Chris Nathaniel, who organised a high-profile visit by United star Rio Ferdinand to Nigeria in the summer, has been taken on as a consultant and insists the consortium are deadly serious about their proposition.

He said: “These people are not messing about. They are genuine, highly-regarded businessmen in Nigeria who want to make a deal happen.

“They will bring back Kevin Keegan immediately as manager and there will be £75m made available to buy players.

“The interest in the Premier League in Nigeria and the whole of Africa is huge and buying an English club is seen as the next big step for a football-mad country.

“We have made contact with people at Newcastle and let our interest be known but our group has not yet spoken to Mike Ashley himself.

“The ball is in Ashley’s court. The money is there and if he is determined to sell, these men will be round the table with him as soon as he gives the word.

“They realise how important Keegan’s presence is to the fans and they will be delighted to bring him back.”

Hard to get excited untill it become real. 

If we get rid of our youth and scouting policy i will be more worried about keegan buying players

“They realise how important Keegan’s presence is to the fans and they will be delighted to bring him back.”

:doh:

Guest MrSundlofer

The Nigerians in with £75M to spend, Keegan in, Yakubu in, good attacking football again, Ashley out? Should make my day. Hard to see it.

Hard to get excited untill it become real. 

If we get rid of our youth and scouting policy i will be more worried about keegan buying players

They realise how important Keegans presence is to the fans and they will be delighted to bring him back.

:doh:

id be delighted to see KK back with a new board and £75 mil to spend.

If they've transferred 200m to a lawyer already that shows they are truly serious and now it's just whether they can agree a price or someone else comes in.  75M isn't going to be enough to do challenge what Man City are planning to do when you consider we spent 50M not that long ago and look where that got us, even though we got to seventh that was pretty damn lucky and a bit of a fluke tbh.

A Nigerian takeover would clearly bring out the bigots among our support -- especially if they're London-based Cockney Muslim Nigerians.

And we'd never get rid of Shola, our bona fide Geordie Nigerian.

Shola =  Nigerian =  s****!

Hopefully all nigerians are not as useless when it comes to football as shola!

Oba - Yakubu - ring any bells?

If they've transferred 200m to a lawyer already that shows they are truly serious and now it's just whether they can agree a price or someone else comes in.  75M isn't going to be enough to do challenge what Man City are planning to do when you consider we spent 50M not that long ago and look where that got us, even though we got to seventh that was pretty damn lucky and a bit of a fluke tbh.

well it depends if who long the £75 mil is over? 4 transfer windows? 3, 2 or 1?