Champions League 2008/09

midds

Roma 3 points

Inter 1 point

Juventus 3 points

Fiorentina 1 point

9 goals, 8 points total, some good results after all.

Chelsea 0 points

Manu 1 point

Liverpool 1 point

Arsenal 1 point

3 goals, 3 points, not so good

Can I just be the first to say that that's a f***ing ridiculous post.

seconded

No, it's a very good post.

Italian teams got more points than English teams this week.

Italian teams are therefore better than English teams.

Italian teams will therefore reach the latter stages.

Italy is therefore a better country than England.

Don't dare question my logic.

Great blog article about the Gerrard incident.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/69400/

Early Doors would like to pay tribute to President-elect Barack Obama by printing the climax of his acceptance speech (at the bottom of this linked page, logically enough).

After a night of nachos, corndogs, white zinfandel and Jim Beam, a few of the words might be wrong, but this is how ED heard it:

This football season has had many firsts and many stories that will be told for generations. One thing that is on Early Doors's mind this morning is a man who plies his trade at Anfield.

He's a lot like the millions of others who stood in line to argue with a referee except for one thing - Steven George Gerrard is a massive, shameless diver.

He was born just a generation after Spurs' last championship, at a time when there were bubble perms and tight, shiny shorts, when Manchester United couldn't win the league for two reasons - because Dave Sexton was their manager and because they were mostly pissed.

And this morning, I think about all that he's seen during his time in the Liverpool midfield - the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times he was told that he couldn't be quite so blatant, and when he pressed on undeterred and won a dodgy penalty: Yes he can.

At a time when diving was seen as the preserve of the foreigners and English players were meant to be honest, he tumbled over, yelled out, and simulated contact. Yes he can.

When there was despair on the terraces and the Champions League final was slipping away, he saw an opportunity to throw himself to the ground in front of a bemused Gattuso, giving his team a new sense of common purpose. Yes he can.

When Liverpool struggled at Bramall Lane, when they were kicked and harrassed by Sheffield United, he somehow turned a scuffed shot into a match-winning penalty and Rafa Benitez's bacon was saved. Yes he can.

Warnock exploded, and yet he stood firm. He faced up to danger and dived again in the return fixture at Anfield. He converted the spot-kick and the Blades went down. Yes he can.

When the goals flew past our national team goalkeeper and tyranny threatened our Euro 2008 hopes, he was there to fling himself to the ground against Hungary and Andorra, and McClaren was saved. Yes he can.

He was there for the conning of Friedel at Blackburn, the mugging of Bolton. When he himself preached to the people that diving was "ruining the game". Yes he can.

Hibbert barely touched him, Clattenburg sent the Evertonian off, and Merseyside was connected by a sense of disbelief. And last night, against Atletico Madrid, he leapt into Mariano Pernia and rolled on the floor, because after 10 years in professional football, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, he knows how skulduggery can change a game's outcome. Yes he can.

Readers, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to come. So this morning, let us ask ourselves - if Cristiano Ronaldo should live to see the next century; if Emmanuel Adebayor should be so lucky to get away with it as long as Steven George Gerrard, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time - to put our referees' whistles back to work and open doors of opportunity for our divers; to restore parity when we are trailing and promote the cause of cheating; to honour the legacy of Klinsmann, Maradona and Franny Lee and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that if we are shameless enough, we might just get a decision; that while we clutch our shins in mock agony, we hope, and where our cynicism is met with doubt, and people tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of modern sport:

Yes We Can. Thank you, God bless Stevie G, and may God Bless the gullible referees of the world.

Yeah, there is no racists in England, FACT

one of the most racist people in the world are from spain btw

And one ruled Germany for quite a bit but it's still not as racist as the Italian League. ;)

What's he called?

Aragones, at a guess...

Didn't realise there was a rank or a hierarchy around the concept of 'being racist'. You're either racist or you're not, really.

Like I said, sweeping generalisations etc. etc., but to be honest the fact that I've never met a nice Italian person doesn't really help either.

I was at the San Siro when we drew 2-2 in 2002? 2003? and it was fucking horrific. The Spanish have a history of racism, this is a fact, but I've never personally witnessed any from the fair amount of Spanish games I've been to. You can only really comment on what you know and learn from your own experiences and I've not really had any good ones from Italian football.

And like I said, it really bores me. Maybe I've been spoilt with ACTUAL football that has excitment and tempo, rather than slow and poncey buildups of defensive passing that'll eventually lead to a greasy Italian wonder-goal..

Don't see the connection. Either you're racist or you're not, and in what way is a country's football fans indicative of the country as a whole?

Someone can have racist thoughts, but have the sense to keep quiet on that front when attending matches.

Was interesting to see the Berlusconi's view of the US elections. "He's young, handsome and tanned."

Then when there was some criticism in the press, he replied with, "What's the problem? It was a compliment."

:lol:

Was interesting to see the Berlusconi's view of the US elections. "He's young, handsome and tanned."

Then when there was some criticism in the press, he replied with, "What's the problem? It was a compliment."

Don't really see what's wrong with the comments though. It is a bit over sensitive to attack him because he called Obama tan.

Don't really see what's wrong with the comments though. It is a bit over sensitive to attack him because he called Obama tan.

Bit of a PR faux pas don't you think?

Bit of a PR faux pas don't you think?

Don't hear me wrong now. If I was a white political figure, you wouldn't catch me dead talking about Obama's tan, it's a stupid statement. However, as an african I just think it;s very harmless and not offensive really.

• 3 weeks later...