The official Fat Fred Out campaign

Guest ToonFanNorway
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

simple matter is that the Glazer bid was going to go through whatever, but their militancy at organising disruption is second to none in UK football.

You could take a few pointers from them.

simple matter is that the Glazer bid was going to go through whatever, but their militancy at organising disruption is second to none in UK football.

You could take a few pointers from them.

soooooooo - it was no use at all but it WAS well organised eh.......................... 

bloody useful advice that wasn't

To be honest, calling for Shepherd's head will be futile, for him leaving is not as simple as a manager leaving.

He would have to sell his shares and shit, and that takes time. Otherwise, he is just taking a backseat, and letting the Halls run things which is just as bad.

We should make Shepherd feel as unwanted as possible so he does go if and when a reasonable bid comes in. All this could happen too late, we need to get a new manager in, and we need to get Shearer into some enlarged role at the club so there is someone to protect the new manager from Shepherd's antics.

To be honest, calling for Shepherd's head will be futile, for him leaving is not as simple as a manager leaving.

He would have to sell his shares and shit, and that takes time. Otherwise, he is just taking a backseat, and letting the Halls run things which is just as bad.

We should make Shepherd feel as unwanted as possible so he does go if and when a reasonable bid comes in. All this could happen too late, we need to get a new manager in, and we need to get Shearer into some enlarged role at the club so there is someone to protect the new manager from Shepherd's antics.

Do you trust Shepherd to get the right man in?

His track record says he'll not and we'll be after another manager in a few months, Freddy has lost the trust of the fans and must go.

Do you trust Shepherd to get the right man in?

His track record says he'll not and we'll be after another manager in a few months, Freddy has lost the trust of the fans and must go.

I dont trust Shepherd's ability to make a good long term managerial appointment, but right now, we are going nowhere but down, and I very much doubt that any takeover will happen until the end of the season. Something must be changed, and fast, even for a short term boost. We must make sure that Shepherd knows he isn't wanted, but we must also realise that something has to be done in the short term and fast.

I'm focusing my energies on reccommending new management for now, just in case Shepherd decides that he must listen to the fans this time around.

The media (the BBC in particular) were banging on all summer that THIS TIME Freddie had to get it right with the manager...his most important appointment ever. Well he didn't. He fudged the issue, got himself someone he thought was malleable who he could push around however he wanted, made a prat of himself with the LMA in the process...and we're still waiting for "the pleasant surprise".

Villa fans had to push for something like 6 or so years to get rid of Deadly Doug. But they did (eventually) get rid of him, and things are looking up for them now. Getting rid of FFS is a long-haul job, and one which really should be properly thought through.

Yes, most fans are agreed that Shepherd is a feckless oaf, who had fobbed us off and made a catalogue of disasters. But without a really well-conceived idea of what the endgame should be, i.e. a genuine consensus about who we'd like to see in, how we'd like to see NUFC run etc in the future, I fear there's always going to be the real risk of NUFC fans protests backfiring and a lot of fans ending up looking like chumps.

Guest Invicta_Toon

The media (the BBC in particular) were banging on all summer that THIS TIME Freddie had to get it right with the manager...his most important appointment ever. Well he didn't. He fudged the issue, got himself someone he thought was malleable who he could push around however he wanted, made a prat of himself with the LMA in the process...and we're still waiting for "the pleasant surprise".

Villa fans had to push for something like 6 or so years to get rid of Deadly Doug. But they did (eventually) get rid of him, and things are looking up for them now. Getting rid of FFS is a long-haul job, and one which really should be properly thought through.

Yes, most fans are agreed that Shepherd is a feckless oaf, who had fobbed us off and made a catalogue of disasters. But without a really well-conceived idea of what the endgame should be, i.e. a genuine consensus about who we'd like to see in, how we'd like to see NUFC run etc in the future, I fear there's always going to be the real risk of NUFC fans protests backfiring and a lot of fans ending up looking like chumps.

Villa didn't get rid of Doug, he fecked off because he was offered a decent price for a mediocre club and the fact he can hardly fucking walk anymore

just a tad different to our situation, unless of course Fat Fred's latest cholesterol count was a tad on the high side  bluesigh.gif

Ellis took over Villa when they were European Cup holders in 1980. They have been wanting rid of him since about 1981. 25 years ago. Now thats what I call going backwards and having a good crack of the whip. And he went because he was offered a good price, nothing else.

But without a really well-conceived idea of what the endgame should be, i.e. a genuine consensus about who we'd like to see in, how we'd like to see NUFC run etc in the future, I fear there's always going to be the real risk of NUFC fans protests backfiring and a lot of fans ending up looking like chumps.

Oh, I'd hazard that any individual or group resourceful enough to raise the £100 million plus that would be needed today to take over the club is likely also to be intelligent and resourceful enough to make a better fist of it than the current bunch of cronies on our board.

Shepherd the bad guy in Geordie soap opera

By Henry Winter

Nativity plays in Tyneside schools this year will surely feature boisterous audience outbursts of "Shepherd Out". As Newcastle United writhe in another bout of introspection, the piercing search-light should be focused not on the short-term leadership from the dug-out but the long-term direction from the board-room. Chairman Freddy Shepherd is the problem, not manager Glenn Roeder.

Musical chairman: Shepherd discards managers too easily

Life at Newcastle is often depicted as a soap opera, a sort of North-eastenders with repeating plot-lines of aspiration unfulfilled, yet it is also real life laced with deepening sadness. Away from the chairman's office and certain incompetent corners of the dressing-room, this is a club teeming with proper people, supporters of unbelievable patience and passion, and employees who view the world solely in black and white.

When Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer were dragged to the press room to explain their infamous on-field spat, a heart-broken club servant turned the photograph of Jackie Milburn to the wall so that the late, great Geordie No 9 would not see the shame brought on the club he represented so sportingly and selflessly.

In Shepherd's defence, a middle-aged suit sitting up in the stands can hardly be held responsible for two midfielders scrapping down below. Not all of Newcastle's ills can be laid at Shepherd's door; the thoroughbred Michael Owen, a Shepherd transfer coup, went lame in England's colours.

Shepherd has consistently provided funds for excellent recruits such as Scott Parker. He even allowed Roeder to gamble £10 million on Obafemi Martins, the infuriatingly inconsistent Nigerian striker.

advertisementSympathy for Shepherd disappears the moment his salary is examined. According to the latest available accounts (year ending July 31 2005), Newcastle's chairman was paid £502,954. Good money for indifferent work. Shepherd is no benefactor in the mould of Middlesbrough's Steve Gibson, the benchmark for "a fit and proper person" to lead a football club.

Developments 200 miles to the south also embarrass Shepherd, down at Aston Villa, where Martin O'Neill has again been playing the sleeves-rolled up alchemist. O'Neill is the manager Shepherd should have wooed and appointed this summer, and Newcastle fans understandably gaze enviously at events off Spaghetti Junction. Roeder is an admirable person, a terrific coach, and outstanding Academy director, but he will never be the Pied Piper of Toon Army dreams as O'Neill would have been.

Talk swirls around fans' chat-rooms and City circles about a putative take-over, by the Belgravia Group, yet would Shepherd sell? Yesterday, one enraged supporter despatched a missive to Shepherd, pleading with him to leave, arguing that the chairman had wasted the legacy built up by his distinguished predecessor, Sir John Hall.

"When you took over the club you were handed the second-best team in the Premiership, a club that was looking like it was destined for greatness and you've destroyed all of that through your utter contempt for the fans and your lust for power and money," wrote Michael Foster. "You've totally failed in everything a chairman is responsible for."

Such Newcastle fans deserve better. Those of us neutrals who travel the English football circuit, mixing with fans of all club colours, and gauging the depth of their fervour, readily admit respect for Newcastle's following, home and away. Battered at Manchester United, Newcastle fans never stopped singing.

St James' itself is a special place, an arena that makes the pulse quicken when the teams walk out and that extraordinary roar erupts from countless Gallowgate throats. Attending Alan Shearer's testimonial last season was uplifting because of the outpouring of love for a local hero while also painfully poignant. The absence of Shearer's name from the cast-list rips away much of the lingering class clinging to the club.

A die-hard Newcastle disciple of this observer's acquaintance is convinced the club will be transformed only when supporters show their dissatisfaction at serial mismanagement by voting with their feet. Empty seats. No queues in the megastores. Might focus a few minds in the board-room. It will never happen.

Following Newcastle is a birthright, a religion, a warm-up before the knees-up of a night out. On the Geordie check-list of must-do activities, watching the Toon ranks alongside breathing. Such loyalty merits better leadership. Shepherd Out.

Shepherd the bad guy in Geordie soap opera

By Henry Winter

Nativity plays in Tyneside schools this year will surely feature boisterous audience outbursts of "Shepherd Out". As Newcastle United writhe in another bout of introspection, the piercing search-light should be focused not on the short-term leadership from the dug-out but the long-term direction from the board-room. Chairman Freddy Shepherd is the problem, not manager Glenn Roeder.

Musical chairman: Shepherd discards managers too easily

Life at Newcastle is often depicted as a soap opera, a sort of North-eastenders with repeating plot-lines of aspiration unfulfilled, yet it is also real life laced with deepening sadness. Away from the chairman's office and certain incompetent corners of the dressing-room, this is a club teeming with proper people, supporters of unbelievable patience and passion, and employees who view the world solely in black and white.

When Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer were dragged to the press room to explain their infamous on-field spat, a heart-broken club servant turned the photograph of Jackie Milburn to the wall so that the late, great Geordie No 9 would not see the shame brought on the club he represented so sportingly and selflessly.

In Shepherd's defence, a middle-aged suit sitting up in the stands can hardly be held responsible for two midfielders scrapping down below. Not all of Newcastle's ills can be laid at Shepherd's door; the thoroughbred Michael Owen, a Shepherd transfer coup, went lame in England's colours.

Shepherd has consistently provided funds for excellent recruits such as Scott Parker. He even allowed Roeder to gamble £10 million on Obafemi Martins, the infuriatingly inconsistent Nigerian striker.

advertisementSympathy for Shepherd disappears the moment his salary is examined. According to the latest available accounts (year ending July 31 2005), Newcastle's chairman was paid £502,954. Good money for indifferent work. Shepherd is no benefactor in the mould of Middlesbrough's Steve Gibson, the benchmark for "a fit and proper person" to lead a football club.

Developments 200 miles to the south also embarrass Shepherd, down at Aston Villa, where Martin O'Neill has again been playing the sleeves-rolled up alchemist. O'Neill is the manager Shepherd should have wooed and appointed this summer, and Newcastle fans understandably gaze enviously at events off Spaghetti Junction. Roeder is an admirable person, a terrific coach, and outstanding Academy director, but he will never be the Pied Piper of Toon Army dreams as O'Neill would have been.

Talk swirls around fans' chat-rooms and City circles about a putative take-over, by the Belgravia Group, yet would Shepherd sell? Yesterday, one enraged supporter despatched a missive to Shepherd, pleading with him to leave, arguing that the chairman had wasted the legacy built up by his distinguished predecessor, Sir John Hall.

"When you took over the club you were handed the second-best team in the Premiership, a club that was looking like it was destined for greatness and you've destroyed all of that through your utter contempt for the fans and your lust for power and money," wrote Michael Foster. "You've totally failed in everything a chairman is responsible for."

Such Newcastle fans deserve better. Those of us neutrals who travel the English football circuit, mixing with fans of all club colours, and gauging the depth of their fervour, readily admit respect for Newcastle's following, home and away. Battered at Manchester United, Newcastle fans never stopped singing.

St James' itself is a special place, an arena that makes the pulse quicken when the teams walk out and that extraordinary roar erupts from countless Gallowgate throats. Attending Alan Shearer's testimonial last season was uplifting because of the outpouring of love for a local hero while also painfully poignant. The absence of Shearer's name from the cast-list rips away much of the lingering class clinging to the club.

A die-hard Newcastle disciple of this observer's acquaintance is convinced the club will be transformed only when supporters show their dissatisfaction at serial mismanagement by voting with their feet. Empty seats. No queues in the megastores. Might focus a few minds in the board-room. It will never happen.

Following Newcastle is a birthright, a religion, a warm-up before the knees-up of a night out. On the Geordie check-list of must-do activities, watching the Toon ranks alongside breathing. Such loyalty merits better leadership. Shepherd Out.

Another good read, also true.

The pressure builds.

this mornings the journal is saying the begravia group are ready to push ahead there move to buy the halls and fat freds shares .great articles today sorry cannot post links as the chronicle site does'nt have the storys

online yet but it goes in-depth about the possible take-over and fans anger .all promising stuff .

Guest Gemmill

I've done my bit for the campaign by getting a text read out on Talksport this morning in which I called Shepherd a moron, prompting Alan Brazil to comment "it's amazing how the fans all seem to be turning on Shepherd at the minute up in Newcastle".  bluebigrazz.gif

I've done my bit for the campaign by getting a text read out on Talksport this morning in which I called Shepherd a moron, prompting Alan Brazil to comment "it's amazing how the fans all seem to be turning on Shepherd at the minute up in Newcastle".  bluebigrazz.gif

good job soldier. what else did you say in your text?

Guest Gemmill

The topic was David Beckham and his come-and-get-me-plea to basically anyone.  Brazil was asking which Premiership clubs would have him.  I text in saying we would have him as it's the perfect Hollywood signing for the moron Shepherd to point at and tell us what a huge club we are.

The topic was David Beckham and his come-and-get-me-plea to basically anyone.  Brazil was asking which Premiership clubs would have him.  I text in saying we would have him as it's the perfect Hollywood signing for the moron Shepherd to point at and tell us what a huge club we are.

we'd have to be at the front of the queue for that one. Beckham will join in Jan, as will "soccer phenom" Freddy Adu.

Guest The Fox

People should vote with their feet. There would be nothing that would hit home harder with Shepherd than 5,000 turning up for the Portsmouth game. That would get reported.

Sir John Hall backing Shepherd strongly in the South Tyneside Shield Gazette. It's on News Now. I would link but I'm crap at technical stuff.

Sir John Hall backing Shepherd strongly in the South Tyneside Shield Gazette. It's on News Now. I would link but I'm crap at technical stuff.

http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1112&ArticleID=1838664

FREDDY IS NOT HALL AT FAULT

SIR John Hall has leapt to the defence of under-fire Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd.

A section of the away end at Middlesbrough on Sunday called for Shepherd to resign after Yakubu condemned Glenn Roeder's team to their sixth Premiership defeat of the season with his 85th minute goal.

But life president Hall – whose family owns 40.8 per cent of the club's shares – believes the unrest has been blown out of all proportion.

And he apportioned blame for the club's woes on Roeder's predecessors.

Sir John said: "I'm very surprised and disappointed with what has happened at Sunday's defeat at Middlesbrough when, I understand, a small group of fans chanted for a small amount of time, and I believe it has been blown out of all proportion by sections of the media.

Resources

"Like I did before him, Freddy Shepherd has backed every Newcastle United manager in the transfer market to the limit of the club's resources.

"And like me, he can't legislate for what happens on the field. That is up the manager and the players, and it's clear to me and everyone that some of the players brought by previous managers simply haven't been good enough.

"In fact, our fans must look in amazement at some of the vast sums of money paid out for players who aren't good enough for this football club," he added, no doubt referring to the likes of Albert Luque and Jean Alain Boumsong, bought by Graeme Souness, plus Titus Bramble, signed by Sir Bobby Robson.

Hall, however, has backed Shepherd's latest managerial appointment.

He said: "Glenn's one of the most honest and sincere men I have met in football, and I have the highest regard for him.

"He's got Newcastle United Football Club in his heart and he feels the anguish the same as the supporters when results aren't going our way. I'm sure Glenn will get it right, but he needs the strength of the fans to get him through and we have to hold our nerve."

Hall's shareholding is the subject of continued speculation, with the secretive Belgravia Group understood to be ready to step up their takeover bid.

Shepherd, meanwhile, was today unavailable for comment, with his wife Lorelle having been taken to hospital with a heart problem on Sunday.

Shepherd owns 29 per cent of the club, and is not looking to sell his stake.