Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest rebel_yell12

This entire thread -- five matches into season -- puts me in mind of Winston Churchill.  He once said that the British people are unique in one respect -- they are the only people in the world who wish to be told exactly how bad it all is.  Rarely have I been surrounded by so many people so determined to be miserable, depressed, and pessimistic.  The footballing equivalent of hypochondriacs.  The club's a bit poorly, and half the "supporters" have the club dead and buried from some incurable disease.

And I've grown up a Liverpool supporter -- we all know Liverpool supporters never have a good whinge or panic.

This entire thread -- five matches into season -- puts me in mind of Winston Churchill.  He once said that the British people are unique in one respect -- they are the only people in the world who wish to be told exactly how bad it all is.  Rarely have I been surrounded by so many people so determined to be miserable, depressed, and pessimistic.  The footballing equivalent of hypochondriacs.  The club's a bit poorly, and half the "supporters" have the club dead and buried from some incurable disease.

And I've grown up a Liverpool supporter -- we all know Liverpool supporters never have a good whinge or panic.

half the "supporters" were attracted back to the club in 1992-93. The club is now on the way back to those days, now that the board who rescued the club from decades of ruin have gone. The only thing we can hope for is for similar people to come in and do the same thing again.

Ashley and his crowd of amateurs have been exposed for what they are. The club is not a "bit poorly", its in freefall.

This has been coming since Ashley, his cahoots and his lack of understanding of football walked through the door.

opted out of the discussion again ?? What a surprise.

I read your first 6 words and that was enough.

no wonder you've learned nothing. Hope you enjoyed the years we spent competing with the other top clubs, because its all over.

The players must obviously realise what a fuckin state the clubs in, and most will be well pissed off with KK having been forced out.

Their motivation must be rock bottom, with many probably looking for the exit door in January.

17th place - yes please.

Can't be complacent about the threat of relegation, but we do have some quality players when all are fit. Owen and Martins will score enough goals. Guittierez(spelling?) is quality. Coloccini and Taylor and Beye are decent at the back. We should have enough.

are you sure, owen will be here during the relegation run in?

Maybe not, having seen the club in such turmoil of late.

Guest chris1210

The players must obviously realise what a fuckin state the clubs in, and most will be well pissed off with KK having been forced out.

Their motivation must be rock bottom, with many probably looking for the exit door in January.

17th place - yes please.

I can understand that to an extent.... but if they have little to no motivation because a manager is gone, its a fucking joke. If my manager at work left, would i be excused for piss poor performance? Of course i wouldnt..... and im also not the one sitting on a 30k a week salary and only have to show up on a saturday afternoon.

I can't seriously believe anyone feels 'sorry' for the players...

Guest rebel_yell12

half the "supporters" were attracted back to the club in 1992-93. The club is now on the way back to those days, now that the board who rescued the club from decades of ruin have gone. The only thing we can hope for is for similar people to come in and do the same thing again.

Ashley and his crowd of amateurs have been exposed for what they are. The club is not a "bit poorly", its in freefall.

This has been coming since Ashley, his cahoots and his lack of understanding of football walked through the door.

Right, so you're excused being a miserable, depressed and pessimistic git because you've been alive longer than some on here (some may be fans since the early 90s because they are only 20-ish)?  Or because you've been going to matches longer?  I'm not entirely sure that's solid logic there.  My granddad was crazy for Liverpool for his whole life (1927-2005), could list every player down through the reserves every season, didn't miss a match until his Parkinson's got too bad for him to attend, and the man never voiced a negative notion about the club.  Some of the players, yes (loudly) but not the club itself.  Anfield was his Mecca, his Vatican...whatever religious centre you want to pick.  My Dad's not quite as loyal (he doesn't care for the current "Barca on the Mersey" set-up) but I can guarantee he'd never have the club he supports dead and buried five matches into a season.

I'm not usually one to make arguments, but this sh*** pisses me off.  I realise that as I am primarily a Liverpool supporter my opinions may not be rated here very highly by some.  But as an outsider, of sorts, let me say that many of the people involved in this thread seem as if they WANT the club to be relegated, simply because it will support their earlier arguments about old board/new board sh***.  That's f***ing ridiculous.  As ashamed as I have been, over the years, of fellow Liverpool fans, I'm f***ing glad not to be a Geordie right now.  Now, I'm not looking for blind optimism or foolish predictions of winning anything at all.  But to say that the team will need divine intervention to achieve 17th -- when Fulham stayed up after being down more points with five matches LEFT of a season -- is more than knee-jerk.  It's...a whole-body jerk.  Brainless reflex reaction. 

Could Newcastle be in trouble, if the manager situation doesn't get sorted?  Yes, certainly.

Were the last two matches painful?  Yes.

Does this equal automatic relegation? No.

On another point, feeling "sorry" for the players -- I do.  Some of them, at least.  Xisco and Gonzalez, who must feel (assuming they read/understand English) as if they are unwanted by large segments of the fans/maybe even some teammates as being the signings that p*ssed off Keegan.  Similarly, Colo and Jonas would ostensibly have begun adjusting to Keegan's system, only to have that all change while they were away on international duty.  I feel sorry for the players because I think Keegan was their biggest "fan" in a lot of ways, the club cheerleader and the one who told them they were good enough to play in Europe -- now they've no manager, an owner who wants out, "supporters" who aren't supporting, and the press gleefully advertising all of it.  Their wages do not mean I cannot sympathise with a difficult situation that they are in.  Even Owen (who makes more in a week than I make in 5 years) must be confused/p*ssed off/worried about the issues at Newcastle.  I've gotten the impression of late that Keegan had really sold Owen on the supporters and the club -- and now it's all changed.  And he must be aware that going on a free will hurt a segment of the fans, but who would sign a new contract at this club until things are sorted and going in the right direction?  Maybe I'm just not as dazzled by the idea that huge wages can buy happiness/contentment, but I can sympathise with the players.  Doesn't mean I don't expect them to pull their heads out now, it's been a fortnight, time to start adjusting.

Of course, I feel sorrier for the ACTUAL supporters.  The ones who aren't waiting for relegation in happy anticipation of being proven "right" about the new regime/ownership.  The ones who will suffer through this rough patch, as always, singing their hearts out, cheering the lads in black&white, and continuing the tradition of late years of the fans being the real "shining light" of Newcastle United.

Right, so you're excused being a miserable, depressed and pessimistic git because you've been alive longer than some on here (some may be fans since the early 90s because they are only 20-ish)?  Or because you've been going to matches longer?  I'm not entirely sure that's solid logic there.  My granddad was crazy for Liverpool for his whole life (1927-2005), could list every player down through the reserves every season, didn't miss a match until his Parkinson's got too bad for him to attend, and the man never voiced a negative notion about the club.  Some of the players, yes (loudly) but not the club itself.  Anfield was his Mecca, his Vatican...whatever religious centre you want to pick.  My Dad's not quite as loyal (he doesn't care for the current "Barca on the Mersey" set-up) but I can guarantee he'd never have the club he supports dead and buried five matches into a season.

I'm not usually one to make arguments, but this sh*** pisses me off.  I realise that as I am primarily a Liverpool supporter my opinions may not be rated here very highly by some.  But as an outsider, of sorts, let me say that many of the people involved in this thread seem as if they WANT the club to be relegated, simply because it will support their earlier arguments about old board/new board sh***.  That's f***ing ridiculous.  As ashamed as I have been, over the years, of fellow Liverpool fans, I'm f***ing glad not to be a Geordie right now.  Now, I'm not looking for blind optimism or foolish predictions of winning anything at all.  But to say that the team will need divine intervention to achieve 17th -- when Fulham stayed up after being down more points with five matches LEFT of a season -- is more than knee-jerk.  It's...a whole-body jerk.  Brainless reflex reaction. 

Could Newcastle be in trouble, if the manager situation doesn't get sorted?  Yes, certainly.

On another point, feeling "sorry" for the players -- I do.  Some of them, at least.  Xisco and Gonzalez, who must feel (assuming they read/understand English) as if they are unwanted by large segments of the fans/maybe even some teammates as being the signings that p*ssed off Keegan.  Similarly, Colo and Jonas would ostensibly have begun adjusting to Keegan's system, only to have that all change while they were away on international duty.  I feel sorry for the players because I think Keegan was their biggest "fan" in a lot of ways, the club cheerleader and the one who told them they were good enough to play in Europe -- now they've no manager, an owner who wants out, "supporters" who aren't supporting, and the press gleefully advertising all of it.  Their wages do not mean I cannot sympathise with a difficult situation that they are in.  Even Owen (who makes more in a week than I make in 5 years) must be confused/p*ssed off/worried about the issues at Newcastle.  I've gotten the impression of late that Keegan had really sold Owen on the supporters and the club -- and now it's all changed.  And he must be aware that going on a free will hurt a segment of the fans, but who would sign a new contract at this club until things are sorted and going in the right direction?  Maybe I'm just not as dazzled by the idea that huge wages can buy happiness/contentment, but I can sympathise with the players.  Doesn't mean I don't expect them to pull their heads out now, it's been a fortnight, time to start adjusting.

Of course, I feel sorrier for the ACTUAL supporters.  The ones who aren't waiting for relegation in happy anticipation of being proven "right" about the new regime/ownership.  The ones who will suffer through this rough patch, as always, singing their hearts out, cheering the lads in black&white, and continuing the tradition of late years of the fans being the real "shining light" of Newcastle United.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but - without being deliberately patronising, there is simply no other way to put it - if you don't think someone who has supported the club since 1964, through all the REALLY shit times, and can't see the signs by now of a club in freefall, then you have a problem.

Don't mistake supporting the team on the field with criticising and calling as you see it away from it either.

What a good post. Shame it's took a Liverpool fan to talk some sense.

well, at least you know you're not alone in the delusion.

You'll learn, as if the last few weeks haven't been enough

You 2 must read the same sunday paper.

Did you even bother to actually read his post?

Did you even bother to actually read his post?

of course.

The club is in freefall. Will Ashley sell soon ? Hopefully. Will it make a difference ? Not until January as they decided the squad was "adequate" enough, or whatever their ambition was.

My guess has always been that they were simply happy to stay up, stay comfortable in mid table, and not spend any money. This is the result.

The shame is that, a Liverpool supporter wouldn't understand this, and its mostly just another patronising look at the club from an outsider.

Guest rebel_yell12

You can never help sounding patronising, NE5, don't worry I won't take it personally.

To be honest, you sound like you WANT relegation because it will prove you right.  Like you've been waiting in the wings for a chance to say "I told you so" for a full year and now it's your big chance and you're warming up the vocal chords for a good long, loud shout of it.

I'll be honest again.  If it were March, I'd be understanding of the sentiment.  I WAS understanding of the sentiment last March.  But to write off an entire season/the entire CLUB in SEPTEMBER, based off being three points off a "comfortable" place is needless pessimism.  It serves no purpose other than to say "I told you the old board was better" or to wind people up.  Two matches DO NOT EQUAL freefall.  The squad is ravaged by injuries (Beye, Enrique, Martins, Viduka, Jonas all missing from XI) plus suspensions, and dealing with the Keegan issue.  If things get settled soon, this "freefall" could easily be halted, even reversed.  It's September, as I said.  I don't care if you're f***ing 120 years old and been to every match since Newcastle United was founded from East and West End...this sh*** you're putting out now isn't support.  You're more interested in proving yourself correct than in the success of Newcastle United.  I noticed it last season, and here it comes again this season.  I can't recall even once seeing you post something that wasn't inherently negative and/or argumentative.  Even after a positive result, you find the negatives from the performance.  Just because you go to matches/are older doesn't make you a better supporter than someone who actually wants the club to succeed, even if they are themselves proven incorrect in their predictions of the end-times.  Support isn't just about longevity. 

Oh, and I can guarantee I don't read the same Sunday papers as Big TRon.  I'm living in exile in OKLAHOMA.  Unless TRon is reading the Oklahoma City papers (TRon? are you?), you can't tar him with the same brush as me.

You can never help sounding patronising, NE5, don't worry I won't take it personally.

To be honest, you sound like you WANT relegation because it will prove you right.  Like you've been waiting in the wings for a chance to say "I told you so" for a full year and now it's your big chance and you're warming up the vocal chords for a good long, loud shout of it.

I'll be honest again.  If it were March, I'd be understanding of the sentiment.  I WAS understanding of the sentiment last March.  But to write off an entire season/the entire CLUB in SEPTEMBER, based off being three points off a "comfortable" place is needless pessimism.  It serves no purpose other than to say "I told you the old board was better" or to wind people up.  Two matches DO NOT EQUAL freefall.  The squad is ravaged by injuries (Beye, Enrique, Martins, Viduka, Jonas all missing from XI) plus suspensions, and dealing with the Keegan issue.  If things get settled soon, this "freefall" could easily be halted, even reversed.  It's September, as I said.  I don't care if you're f***ing 120 years old and been to every match since Newcastle United was founded from East and West End...this sh*** you're putting out now isn't support.  You're more interested in proving yourself correct than in the success of Newcastle United.  I noticed it last season, and here it comes again this season.  I can't recall even once seeing you post something that wasn't inherently negative and/or argumentative.  Even after a positive result, you find the negatives from the performance.  Just because you go to matches/are older doesn't make you a better supporter than someone who actually wants the club to succeed, even if they are themselves proven incorrect in their predictions of the end-times.  Support isn't just about longevity. 

Oh, and I can guarantee I don't read the same Sunday papers as Big TRon.  I'm living in exile in OKLAHOMA.  Unless TRon is reading the Oklahoma City papers (TRon? are you?), you can't tar him with the same brush as me.

Sorry again, but I'm not in the habit of paying 3 years season ticket money and hoping for failure.

I don't know what to say re you living in Oklahoma without sounding patronising. I'm sure others will think the same as me, but probably won't say it.

I realise you mean well, but you're wrong.

i agree, i dont think we can say we are automatically down, its just ridiculous. against west ham, we were bloody terrible for 60 minutes, but after we got 1 back, it did look like we were going to get a second for a while. lacking many players helped to lose that match. add beye and enrique into the starting 11, and our defence would have been a lot less shaky. add martins and jonas and guthrie and the midfield looks a lot better. anyone saying we are down needs to have a word to be honest. mid table (12th-14th) for another season but cant see much worse or better than that. turmoil or no turmoil.

Guest rebel_yell12

Sorry again, but I'm not in the habit of paying 3 years season ticket money and hoping for failure.

I don't know what to say re you living in Oklahoma without sounding patronising. I'm sure others will think the same as me, but probably won't say it.

So...because I currently live in Oklahoma -- well, that writes off my opinions entirely, eh?  It's called a f***ing JOB.  I am both employed by and attending university here, soon to earn my doctorate (PhD).  Unlike British universities, I am employed by my university here, which means that I am not in debt when I finish my degree -- well worth a relatively short exile to the middle of America.  I'm sorry my parents couldn't afford to finance my post-graduate degree and I moved abroad to avoid starting my career with heavy debt.  If I were in the Army and stationed abroad, would you still write off my opinion?

I'm not saying you ARE hoping for failure (I can't know what's in your head) but that's how it READS on the board.  I bolded the bit in my earlier post that rather reflects this.  If you read carefully, you might have picked up on that.

So...because I currently live in Oklahoma -- well, that writes off my opinions entirely, eh?  It's called a f***ing JOB.  I am both employed by and attending university here, soon to earn my doctorate (PhD).  Unlike British universities, I am employed by my university here, which means that I am not in debt when I finish my degree -- well worth a relatively short exile to the middle of America.  I'm sorry my parents couldn't afford to finance my post-graduate degree and I moved abroad to avoid starting my career with heavy debt.  If I were in the Army and stationed abroad, would you still write off my opinion?

I'm not saying you ARE hoping for failure (I can't know what's in your head) but that's how it READS on the board.  I bolded the bit in my earlier post that rather reflects this.  If you read carefully, you might have picked up on that.

well mate, you seem to be a bit thompers-like here............it seems a bit absurd you even think someone wants the club to fail, I can assure you I want them to win every game.

I'm just saying that, having seen plenty of the club when it was shite, and in freefall, I can see the same thing happening now.

well mate, you seem to be a bit thompers-like here............it seems a bit absurd you even think someone wants the club to fail, I can assure you I want them to win every game.

I'm just saying that, having seen plenty of the club when it was s****, and in freefall, I can see the same thing happening now.

I tend to agree with ne5 here, though, as ive said elsewhere, to me this feel worse at this stage of the season than the previous relegation i watched.

if rebel yell thinks we want to be relegated to be 'proven' right than he is talking out of his arse. there's no need for cretinous bullshit like that as im sure NE5 along with every other fan would be devastated were that to happen.

We wont go down if we can get a manager in and get organised quickly.

There is some serious shit in this league.

Hull were fucking gash, Stoke are fucking gash, west brom are fucking gash, bolton are fucking gash as well as a few other teams.

Being organised will see us through this shit period.

Guest rebel_yell12

if rebel yell thinks we want to be relegated to be 'proven' right than he is talking out of his arse. there's no need for cretinous bullshit like that as im sure NE5 along with every other fan would be devastated were that to happen.

Quote from: rebel_yell12 on Today at 08:56:32 AM

Actually, my original point was that it is way too early in the season to be predicting a guarantee of relegation.  Five matches into the season, in the relegation area based on goal differential, and one-third of the people in this thread are happy to take a guarantee of 17th (with no possibility of higher).  That's just out-of-order, in my opinion.  The squad is ravaged by injuries, unsettled by recent developments, and it's far too early to be predicting the end-times.  In fact, I think my very first point was simply that this thread is remarkably pessimistic and depressing.  I got a bit side-tracked with NE5, I admit.  The central part of my argument is simply that it's only September, not April, and only had two poor matches.  It seems a bit over-reactive to be declaring guarantees of relegation at this point.

And, allow me to re-post another comment (from myself) that should help clarify my position.

Perhaps I should have said "expecting" failure, rather than "hoping for" to be more accurate.  As an outsider, of sorts, this is how it reads to me. 

We wont go down if we can get a manager in and get organised quickly.

There is some serious s*** in this league.

Hull were f***ing gash, Stoke are f***ing gash, west brom are f***ing gash, bolton are f***ing gash as well as a few other teams.

Being organised will see us through this s*** period.

but we are disorganised, hull beat us, the players want away, a bigger ship takes a lot longer to turn around.