Let's talk about Steve Bruce... (Vote again)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still a no for me, with playes you can address weaknesses by simply looking for improvements on what we have becasue the options to imporve on them again is and should be a contiuos annual process, the same cant be said with managers, ideally you should be looking for the right man who will potentially be at the club for 10 years, not the man who is better than what weve got, which is a complex quite a few people seem to be suffering from.

For me Bruce isnt that man, he may be better than Jose but he's not the man to bring this club forward in the long run. Wigan is his only real success and we havent even seen the completion of that job.

Ill say it even though no one else wants to, we need to go foreign, there is so much talent out there which just isnt available in the PL, we need some new impetus and it wont come from these shores.

Deschamps is my number 1 choice, Zico would work the system well, we need an appointment that everyone can get behind.

Even though Deschamps left Juve after a disagreement with the hierarchy over transfers?

Still a no for me, with playes you can address weaknesses by simply looking for improvements on what we have becasue the options to imporve on them again is and should be a contiuos annual process, the same cant be said with managers, ideally you should be looking for the right man who will potentially be at the club for 10 years, not the man who is better than what weve got, which is a complex quite a few people seem to be suffering from.

For me Bruce isnt that man, he may be better than Jose but he's not the man to bring this club forward in the long run. Wigan is his only real success and we havent even seen the completion of that job.

Ill say it even though no one else wants to, we need to go foreign, there is so much talent out there which just isnt available in the PL, we need some new impetus and it wont come from these shores.

Deschamps is my number 1 choice, Zico would work the system well, we need an appointment that everyone can get behind.

Even though Deschamps left Juve after a disagreement with the hierarchy over transfers?

If you see it as a simple black and white "Wise will force whatever player he wants onto the manager" then you have a point, but theres evidence to suggest this isnt strictly the case, Deschamp also has a working relationship with Wise and Id imagine Deschamps has a rough idea about the transfer market and being able to stick to the clubs new policy. I imagine Deschamps has the french market cornered which quite frankly is a huge bonus.

Steve Bruce would be perfect candidate for me for the following reasons:

- He will be willing to work with our current coaching staff which saves the club Money by not laying them off

- A lot of Premiership experience

- English and a Geordie - No problems settling and for me an instant honeymoon effect

- Put his heart and soul into it. Possibly could be his last move as a Manager as this is as high he can get IMO unless he would take a step down.  But i feel he would stay loyal to the club.

- Good in transfer market

- Great with the press

- Great man Management skills - i.e. Bramble, Melchiot, etc.

- Has his teams playing decent football.

- Compensation wouldn't be too much to pay to Wigan

Some Negatives though :

- Job could be too big for him

-Could be  Stuck in the mindset of a small club , buying small time players etc.

Would he want to work with Dennis Wise though?

He's working at a selling club at Wigan, I don't think he'd be that picky.

Why though? He gets full control at Wigan, which he wouldn't here.

He still has to sell players when his boss says so. Not much control over that. How many were there at Wigan on Saturday? 14,000? Well if he prefers that to managing his home town club in front of 50,000 geordies he should probably stay where he is.

Of course that's the obvious pull. I'm just saying why would he want to report to Dennis Wise?

He doesn't have to if it's a problem, he can always stay at Wigan.

You still haven't answered my question.

You want me to tell you what Steve Bruce might think?

I'm asking you why he would want to have to report into Dennis Wise.

Bit of a leading question that Tooj, the question should really be "would he mind reporting to Wise (member of the board)?"

To answer your question - becasue Wise is a member of the board.

Exactly. I've no idea if Bruce would object to reporting to Wise, but if he wants a job at Newcastle he'll obviously have to work with the staff.

Bruce won't walk away from Wigan until the end of the season IMO, that's if he doesn't get them into Europe.

I don't think the structure would bother him as long as he gets the final say, he loves his unknown foreigners and would probably be happy with even more names being thrown his way.

I doubt Bruce would come here as things stand. And it's pretty clear that the management structure isn't going to change so i'm losing hope a little bit. :(

I think Bruce would jump at the chance to come here, being a local lad and getting the chance to manage a club with 50,000 gates and great football history. Anyone worth his salt would want to prove thenselves at a high profile club. If he prefers to stay at Wigan then he isn't the right man for us anyway.

I doubt Bruce would come here as things stand. And it's pretty clear that the management structure isn't going to change so i'm losing hope a little bit. :(

I think Bruce would jump at the chance to come here, being a local lad and getting the chance to manage a club with 50,000 gates and great football history. Anyone worth his salt would want to prove thenselves at a high profile club. If he prefers to stay at Wigan then he isn't the right man for us anyway.

I just don't think he'll go into a job where he isn't the main man. And i'd say that for every manager in the Premier League.

I just don't think he'll go into a job where he isn't the main man. And i'd say that for every manager in the Premier League.

He would be the main man though.

Bruce won't walk away from Wigan until the end of the season IMO, that's if he doesn't get them into Europe.

I don't think the structure would bother him as long as he gets the final say, he loves his unknown foreigners and would probably be happy with even more names being thrown his way.

I think he'd leave tomorrow if we offered him the job.

I can understand that view if we are talking about Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger, but we are talking about the manager of Wigan. Bruce has to buy players knowing that they will be sold over his head if they are successful. How is he in control of dealings at Wigan?

He would be the main man though.

Like Keegan you mean?

:razz: I'm not going into this. :lol:

I think Bruce would jump at the chance to be our manager. Realistically, he's peaked at Wigan and is on record about regretting turning us down before.

We don't get 50,000 though. ;)

Mirror with a piece on Bruce wanting to come to Newcastle.  Don't know if it is a rehash or not.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/02/14/steve-bruce-ready-to-take-over-at-newcastle-united-115875-21122041/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Steve Bruce ready to take over at Newcastle United

Steve Bruce is ready to answer an SOS from Newcastle and become their next boss if Mike Ashley goes for a replacement for Joe Kinnear who has had heart surgery.

Wigan chief Bruce has never made any secret of his desire to boss 'his' club and regrets turning them down when he was younger.

Bruce has taken Wigan to Premier League safety just over a year after joining from Birmingham City - but he has private fears about their future after selling some stars and facing the loss of more in the summer.

Chairman Dave Whelan paid a record fee to take Bruce from Birmingham, but the veteran supremo keeps dropping hints he may be willing to sell the club.

The Toon job has always been Bruce's dream despite his potential claims to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Ashley faces a major decision with caretakers Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood thrown into a relegation dogfight by Joe Kinnear's triple heart by-pass operation. Terry Venables and Bryan Robson have been considered as short-term options.

But Bruce would be a winner with the fans and those close to him guarantee that he would take on the task at the Toon this time around.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Like most of you I'm not convinced about Kinnear,  I feel that we should carefully pick another manager this summer. 

Someone who will work in the current system.

Someone who the fans will get behind.  Souness, Roeder and Allardyce were not in that category and therefor less likely to succeed.

Someone who the owner is ready to stick with for the next 10 years.  We need stability. 

I would take Bruce like now, out of the possible candidates who may come here (and I can't think of many) he seems like the right choice to me, can work on a budget, handles players well and has a lot more tactical knowledge than Kinnear.

Realistically the fact most people would welcome Bruce shows just how far we have fallen, plus he knows how to get clubs out of the Championship :(

I would take Bruce like now, out of the possible candidates who may come here (and I can't think of many) he seems like the right choice to me, can work on a budget, handles players well and has a lot more tactical knowledge than Kinnear.

Realistically the fact most people would welcome Bruce shows just how far we have fallen, plus he knows how to get clubs out of the Championship :(

To be fair to Bruce, he's developed as a manager so it's not only people lowering expectations.

How much we have fallen?! Seems to me more like it's a case of people gradually getting a bit more in touch with reality than "how much we have fallen" - but I suspect the fact the man's native to the area (plastic Geordie or whatever) has more to do with people coming round to the idea of him as manager than anything about his managerial credentials or capabilities. And that last point concerns me more than anything.

To be fair to Bruce, he's developed as a manager so it's not only people lowering expectations.

Some truth in this Mick - I WOULD be much happier with Bruce than most of the alternatives, but ONLY if he came with the assurance that he decides transfer policy etc ; that HAS to be the right of every decent manager.

Still not convinced, although I'm more favourable to the idea now. He's made some good buys at Wigan but he's made some ricks as a manager too. Titus Bramble and Nicky Butt are two strange ones. Generally he's done well in the transfer market though, that's half the battle.