Let's talk about Steve Bruce... (Vote again)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still not convinced, although I'm more favourable to the idea now. He's made some good buys at Wigan but he's made some ricks as a manager too. Titus Bramble and Nicky Butt are two strange ones. Generally he's done well in the transfer market though, that's half the battle.

He didn't buy Titus though - Chris Hutchings did.  And according to Wigan fans, Bramble has been one of their best players this season - maybe that is down to Bruce.  He did drop him last season when he was making mistakes.

Butt admittedly did not do well at Brum.

Still not convinced, although I'm more favourable to the idea now. He's made some good buys at Wigan but he's made some ricks as a manager too. Titus Bramble and Nicky Butt are two strange ones. Generally he's done well in the transfer market though, that's half the battle.

He didn't buy Titus though - Chris Hutchings did.  And according to Wigan fans, Bramble has been one of their best players this season - maybe that is down to Bruce.  He did drop him last season when he was making mistakes.

Butt admittedly did not do well at Brum.

Butt was suffering a crisis of self-confidence whilst at Brum. He was dealing with the shock of no longer being a Man Utd lynchpin. Phil Neville suffered a similar dip in form immediately upon joining Everton as well, iirc.

Some truth in this Mick - I WOULD be much happier with Bruce than most of the alternatives, but ONLY if he came with the assurance that he decides transfer policy etc ; that HAS to be the right of every decent manager.

If Llambias is telling the truth about Kinnear being able to decide on who he gets then the same should be expected for any new manager.

A piece on vitalfootball about the Bruce issue, from a Wigan fan.

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=143881

-------------------------------------------------------

From VitalFootball:

Bruce is Back in Town

Wigan Athletic boss Steve Bruce returns to work today following a short holiday to Dubai and he will be hit by all the speculation linking him with the Newcastle United job, even the Wigan Evening Post has got in on the act (no surprise there then)

With Joe Kinnear looking at a lay off of 8 weeks minimum Newcastle United are currently being run by Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, not really an ideal situation to have your assistant manager and first team coach in charge of what is effectively a relegation battle

Bruce was offered the Newcastle job back in 2004 and he turned it down, a decision he says he regretted at that time, but times have moved on and Bruce has his sights set a lot higher than the Newcastle job

For a start he is in charge of the Latics and still has three years of his contract left to run and club chairman Dave Whelan paid a huge sum for a manager when he gave Birmingham £3 million compensation but Bruce has proved his worth to the Latics taking the club from relegation certainties to European hopefuls all in the space of 12 months

Bruce has shown at the Latics that he isn`t afraid of reputations and he has made changes in the side and got people to play how he wants them to play, he has also changed the staff around, bringing in 15 players and shipping out 16 and making a tidy profit along the way.

There have been sounds coming out of Old Trafford that Bruce could and I stress could be in line to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson when he decides to call it a day at Manchester United though he would face competition from Jose Mourinho who is many peoples favourite for that job.

The Latics would also demand a hefty fee for Bruce, the £3 million that Whelan paid Birmingham now seems an absolute bargain and surely he is worth at least double that amount, to Birmingham he was worth £60 million because that`s the amount they lost when they were relegated at the end of last season.

When Bruce left Birmingham they were in 14th spot and seemingly heading for mid-table security when Bruce joined Wigan we were 19th with 8 points and heading for the Championship the turn a round at both clubs was amazing, Latics achieving the mid-table security that 14th place brings and Birmingham relegated just one place above Derby County and the worst ever Premier League performance.

Bruce is worth is weight in Premier League gold and he is destined for greater things than Newcastle United, fingers crossed, lets just hope that in the next few weeks I am not left eating my words.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fan certainly likes Bruce, which is understandable, he's perfect for them.  Not too sure he will be Sir Alex successor, think Moyes and O'Neill are likelier candidates.

'set his sights higher than the Newcastle job' :lol: - Plain and simply, he's a Geordie. If we come knocking, he won't give it second thought IMO. The only club he would rather go to is Manchester United and that isn't happening any time soon.

A piece on vitalfootball about the Bruce issue, from a Wigan fan.

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=143881

-------------------------------------------------------

From VitalFootball:

Bruce is Back in Town

Wigan Athletic boss Steve Bruce returns to work today following a short holiday to Dubai and he will be hit by all the speculation linking him with the Newcastle United job, even the Wigan Evening Post has got in on the act (no surprise there then)

With Joe Kinnear looking at a lay off of 8 weeks minimum Newcastle United are currently being run by Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, not really an ideal situation to have your assistant manager and first team coach in charge of what is effectively a relegation battle

Bruce was offered the Newcastle job back in 2004 and he turned it down, a decision he says he regretted at that time, but times have moved on and Bruce has his sights set a lot higher than the Newcastle job

For a start he is in charge of the Latics and still has three years of his contract left to run and club chairman Dave Whelan paid a huge sum for a manager when he gave Birmingham £3 million compensation but Bruce has proved his worth to the Latics taking the club from relegation certainties to European hopefuls all in the space of 12 months

Bruce has shown at the Latics that he isn`t afraid of reputations and he has made changes in the side and got people to play how he wants them to play, he has also changed the staff around, bringing in 15 players and shipping out 16 and making a tidy profit along the way.

There have been sounds coming out of Old Trafford that Bruce could and I stress could be in line to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson when he decides to call it a day at Manchester United though he would face competition from Jose Mourinho who is many peoples favourite for that job.

The Latics would also demand a hefty fee for Bruce, the £3 million that Whelan paid Birmingham now seems an absolute bargain and surely he is worth at least double that amount, to Birmingham he was worth £60 million because that`s the amount they lost when they were relegated at the end of last season.

When Bruce left Birmingham they were in 14th spot and seemingly heading for mid-table security when Bruce joined Wigan we were 19th with 8 points and heading for the Championship the turn a round at both clubs was amazing, Latics achieving the mid-table security that 14th place brings and Birmingham relegated just one place above Derby County and the worst ever Premier League performance.

Bruce is worth is weight in Premier League gold and he is destined for greater things than Newcastle United, fingers crossed, lets just hope that in the next few weeks I am not left eating my words.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fan certainly likes Bruce, which is understandable, he's perfect for them.  Not too sure he will be Sir Alex successor, think Moyes and O'Neill are likelier candidates.

Did they put a name to whoever wrote that piece because he's one fucking deluded twat.

Did they put a name to whoever wrote that piece because he's one f***ing deluded t***.

An alias:

Journalist Name

worbo

Tag Line

Latics in the Prem! Live the dream

Biography

I'm from a long line of Latics supporters and with a bit of luck I'll produce another long line of Latics supporters

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wigan Athletic manager Steve Bruce, has reacted to the rumours linking him with the Newcastle United manager's job.

He was also less than complimenatary about the club and the fans' treatment of current boss, Joe Kinnear and his feelings.

Commenting on the speculation he said, "I'm going to Newcastle am I? Well, it's news to me and I think it's a little bit disrespectful when their manager is going through what he's going through right now."

He also stated that he was very happy at Wigan Athletic, with whom he is currently trying to gain entry into Europe. Any manager with half a brain knows that a stint as manager at St James' Park, at the moment, is not worth the hassle.

Some truth in this Mick - I WOULD be much happier with Bruce than most of the alternatives, but ONLY if he came with the assurance that he decides transfer policy etc ; that HAS to be the right of every decent manager.

If Llambias is telling the truth about Kinnear being able to decide on who he gets then the same should be expected for any new manager.

That's quite a big 'IF' - the words 'vow', chastity' and 'Cher' come to mind....!

Wigan Athletic manager Steve Bruce has labelled reports linking him with Newcastle United as 'disrespectful'.

Recent media speculation has suggested Bruce could be lined up as the Magpies' next boss, with current head coach Joe Kinnear recovering from a heart bypass operation.

But Corbridge-born Bruce has quelled talk of a return to the North East and questioned the poor taste of the rumours considering Kinnear's recent health scare.

The Wigan chief said in the Manchester Evening News: "So, I'm going to Newcastle, am I?

"It is news to me and I think it's a little bit disrespectful when their manager (Joe Kinnear) is going through what he's going through right now.

"I've heard nothing at all and I am happy here at Wigan."

Still hasn't ruled it out.

Wigan Athletic manager Steve Bruce has labelled reports linking him with Newcastle United as 'disrespectful'.

Recent media speculation has suggested Bruce could be lined up as the Magpies' next boss, with current head coach Joe Kinnear recovering from a heart bypass operation.

But Corbridge-born Bruce has quelled talk of a return to the North East and questioned the poor taste of the rumours considering Kinnear's recent health scare.

The Wigan chief said in the Manchester Evening News: "So, I'm going to Newcastle, am I?

"It is news to me and I think it's a little bit disrespectful when their manager (Joe Kinnear) is going through what he's going through right now.

"I've heard nothing at all and I am happy here at Wigan."

Still hasn't ruled it out.

ha!  he's labelled it disrespectful to :kinnear: not to wigan, says it all

bruce has only used the "geordie" angle for his own ends imo...doesn't give a f***, probably (rightly also imo) see's us as the sort of bigger-than-birmingham under achievers he could take over and prove himself worthy of the man yoo job

fine by me to be honest, if he could stabilise us so we are in a better position and then fuck off to man united that would do me absolutely fine.

bruce has only used the "geordie" angle for his own ends imo...doesn't give a f***, probably (rightly also imo) see's us as the sort of bigger-than-birmingham under achievers he could take over and prove himself worthy of the man yoo job

fine by me to be honest, if he could stabilise us so we are in a better position and then fuck off to man united that would do me absolutely fine.

oh yeah, not really saying it would be bad for us, just pointing out my opinion of his motivations

Guest The Libertine

Wigan Athletic manager Steve Bruce, has reacted to the rumours linking him with the Newcastle United manager's job.

He was also less than complimenatary about the club and the fans' treatment of current boss, Joe Kinnear and his feelings.

Commenting on the speculation he said, "I'm going to Newcastle am I? Well, it's news to me and I think it's a little bit disrespectful when their manager is going through what he's going through right now."

He also stated that he was very happy at Wigan Athletic, with whom he is currently trying to gain entry into Europe. Any manager with half a brain knows that a stint as manager at St James' Park, at the moment, is not worth the hassle.

nice line. he definitely meant disrespectful on the part of the media. he didnt mention us (the club or the fans) once in there.

nice line. he definitely meant disrespectful on the part of the media. he didnt mention us (the club or the fans) once in there.

Exactly, the bloke who wrote that isn't going to say Steve Bruce thinks I am a bit of a knob.