Let's talk about Steve Bruce... (Vote again)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Without sounding all "geordie superhuman race". I would like to see Bruce because he knows the club and the region.

That'd be a nice extra attribute from him, aye. I'd have him even if he was a Cockney though. He's a damn good manager.

I love the fact he isn't scared of buying directly from South America.

Palacios and Figueroa have been brilliant and cost panuts pretty much. The little I have seen of the striker they're bringing in has been good too. Valencia is also class but was brought in by Jewell I think.

Nice little South American flava they have going there now.

Except Honduras is in central America ;)

Surprised how easily the 2 Hondurans made the step from the Honduran league to the `mighty` premier league so easily.......been class for them along with Valencia. They`ve just bought a Colombian player also recently and by all accounts he looks canny

Just goes to show that there are good players everywhere as long as you're willing to look for them.

I wonder who's doing Wigan's scouting?

Lee Clark let his pal in on the secrets when he went to South America when he was with us, tbh.

never ever thought i would say this, but i would take him in a heartbeat.

Same. I think its about time everyone at this club wakes up and realises that Bruce is quite easily the best person, realistically, to take the job at Toon. I'm not saying we should get him but I cant think of anyone better. He got  a lot of stick in the past, which I think the majority of it was justified, but we'd be fools to turn him down. But why would he want to leave a club like Wigan? They're in a much better position- currently and for the future- than us.

Aye, not a chance he would. Even though he is a Geordie. A proper Geordie, who would give anything to join us. Even ahead of Gillingham....

He wanted to join us 3 times as player, pre-Gillingham, pre-Norwich & pre-Man Utd. He did turn us down once as a manager but at the time he was being branded unloyal  so had to stick it out at one club on his CV.

No, I wouldn't welcome him. We deserve a better manager. 

We may deserve all sorts of things.

But the fact is we are a lower mid table side with an owner who either can't or won't provide the funding needed to move the club forward, and Steve Bruce is about the best option as a manager there is. No one with a higher profile would even look at us. And as I said on an earlier post even Bruce wouldn't take the job with Wise still in place.

Guest shearer_united

Right oh.

The club would still be running in circles if he was incharge.

Right oh.

I just find it amazing that you come to the conclusion that you "deserve" a better manager, and thus wouldn't want Bruce. Priceless stuff, considering current circumstances.

Guest shearer_united

Right oh.

I just find it amazing that you come to the conclusion that you "deserve" a better manager, and thus wouldn't want Bruce. Priceless stuff, considering current circumstances.

You'd be a fool to think Steve Bruce will be able to turn this club around. I was thinking about continuing with Joe Kinnear until the club fully stabilizes and then bring in a very decent manager to turn things around.

Guest shearer_united

I just want to say that there will always be a good manager available. The key is to come up with a good offer hard to refuse. Isn't that the same with Michael Owen? The main reason why he came here was for the money and Newcastle outbid liverpool to get Owen. So the major factor is money.

I just want to say that there will always be a good manager available. The key is to come up with a good offer hard to refuse. Isn't that the same with Michael Owen? The main reason why he came here was for the money and Newcastle outbid liverpool to get Owen. So the major factor is money.

Although this is correct, have you not noticed the trend that Ashley is setting? which is to spend as little as possible? - Your theory of bringing in a better manager than Steve Bruce hinges on money yet our current agenda seems to be cut costs and spend little, so wouldn't this mean we can't get a better manager?

Who would you say is obtainable and better than Bruce by the way?

Guest shearer_united

Although this is correct, have you not noticed the trend that Ashley is setting? which is to spend as little as possible? - Your theory of bringing in a better manager than Steve Bruce hinges on money yet our current agenda seems to be cut costs and spend little, so wouldn't this mean we can't get a better manager?

There are many managers actually.

It's very hard but I think it's not impossible: get Martin O'Neil. He's a very good manager, he knows what he's doing and is under-rated.

Personally I think Ashley should instead throw in more money rather than cut costs. He'd need to spend more if he'd expect to get top-class players. Rarely do they go on the cheap.

It's very hard but I think it's not impossible: get Martin O'Neil. He's a very good manager, he knows what he's doing and is under-rated.

Personally I think Ashley should instead throw in more money rather than cut costs. He'd need to spend more if he'd expect to get top-class players. Rarely do they go on the cheap.

I wish we did get Martin O'Neil before Villa did a few years back, but we have no chance of getting him now.  He's got a decent young squad who could snatch 4th spot if they carry on like they have been.  I also disagree that he feels under-rated, I see plenty of plaudits for Villa and he will be crowned a genius if he does get 4th spot and take Villa in to the Champions League.

I appreciate your desire to get a better manager, however your reasoning of money being thrown at the problem is wishful thinking as Ashley clearly has no intention of spending large sums of money.  He didn't back Big Sam and he didn't back Keegan.  He probably won't back Kinnear too.

Guest shearer_united

I wish we did get Martin O'Neil before Villa did a few years back, but we have no chance of getting him now.  He's got a decent young squad who could snatch 4th spot if they carry on like they have been.  I also disagree that he feels under-rated, I see plenty of plaudits for Villa and he will be crowned a genius if he does get 4th spot and take Villa in to the Champions League.

I appreciate your desire to get a better manager, however your reasoning of money being thrown at the problem is wishful thinking as Ashley clearly has no intention of spending large sums of money.  He didn't back Big Sam and he didn't back Keegan.  He probably won't back Kinnear too.

Which precisely explains why a lot of the fans want Ashley to leave. His biggest problem is the lack of experience.

Guest sittingontheball

Dunno, Wigan weren't that impressive against us on days when we weren't very good.  That Bassong decision in particular was absolutely ridiculous.

From those fixtures, it was four points to them, one to us. Turn that around and they'd only have two more points than us, the disaster that is Toon 08/09. Would that be significant? Remember our season has been decimated by off-field turmoil and injuries to a paper thin squad (thanks Mike). Cacapa starting in midfield for those with short memories. At this stage, this sounds like people bigging up Allardyce all over again. A lot of fuss over not all that much substance.

Bruce has signed some good uns, but lets see where they are at the end of the season. You could have said all sorts about Phil Brown and Hull before Christmas, but their form has nosedived and he's gone and publically humilated his lads. His stock has fallen very quickly.

Steve Bruce as Man United manager is simply in his dreams. There is no way they would appoint such a minor figure from outside their club. He has no experience of the CL or handling Rooney Ronaldo level players.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

I was gonna do the same thing.

Everyone point and :lol: at Shearer_United.