Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Decent read.

Ashley and gang find another manager and his pesky 'principles' won't just bend over at their beck and call.

The way I read it, Venables would like the job if it was long term, i.e. if the club wasn't for sale. Are you saying Ashley shouldn't go, which is what we wanted after all?

I'm saying they approached Venables, so they obviously thought they could persuade him to take it despite the turmoil. He won't, just like Keegan wouldn't accept players brought in above his head. My comment has nothing to do with what I want Ashley to do.

Don't see what your getting at. Venables clearly says in the article the only reason he didn't take the job was uncertainty about how long he'd be there, nothing to do with transfer policy.

Decent read.

Ashley and gang find another manager and his pesky 'principles' won't just bend over at their beck and call.

The way I read it, Venables would like the job if it was long term, i.e. if the club wasn't for sale. Are you saying Ashley shouldn't go, which is what we wanted after all?

Eh?!

Do you need me to spell it out or maybe you could just read the interview again?

That wasn't directed towards the interview, you plum. I was perplexed as to how you could assume Dave had meant he wanted Ashley to stay. He was pointing out that Ashley et al are seriously deluded with regards to their approach to football business. But you're a WUM, and that's what you do.

Dave, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Deluded or not, the only reason Ashley and Co can't get a manager in is because he's selling the club, so can't guarantee a long term job. How do you propose he do it differently? Take the club off the market?

Deluded or not, the only reason Ashley and Co can't get a manager in is because he's selling the club, so can't guarantee a long term job. How do you propose he do it differently? Take the club off the market?

Should have thought about tiny little insignificant things like who was going to manage the side away from relegation before he published the big 'woe is me' statement telling the world of his intention to sell then, perhaps?

If the bit about the players having to prompt the move for Venables is true, then those in charge are even more stupid than I thought.

The reality is that it is now an unwinnable situation fror everyone.

Touché.

Should have thought about tiny little insignificant things like who was going to manage the side away from relegation before he published the big 'woe is me' statement telling the world of his intention to sell then, perhaps?

If the bit about the players having to prompt the move for Venables is true, then those in charge are even more stupid than I thought.

The reality is that it is now an unwinnable situation fror everyone.

Touché.

Tbh, the blame game is starting to get on my tits. He should have done this, she shouldn't have done that, etc. There are only two ways forwards from here, one is the club gets sold, the other is appointing a desperate manager like O'Bleary and hoping for a miracle.

It looks unlikely that we're going to get a manager of any reputation on this temporary basis. It's an inevitable consequence of Ashley trying to sell up in this way. But those who forced him into that position can't now complain about the current instability.

It did sound though that Venables is hinting strongly that he'd take the job on a permanent basis.

Or even just til the end of the season (as with Boro). Don't see why they don't just appoint him and let the new owners shoulder the cost of removing him as and when.

What a farce, ultimately he has run the club terribly - I don't see West Ham lurching from disaster to disaster after Curbishley left in the huff.

What Ashley needs to to now is take the club off the market for the time being, re-instate Keegan with whatever promise/action he needs to do, do some smart PR with the fans and start winning some football games, because in the end that will be the best for him, the club and the fans - at the moment his actions are driving this club into the ground both from a value perspective and footballing one.

It looks unlikely that we're going to get a manager of any reputation on this temporary basis. It's an inevitable consequence of Ashley trying to sell up in this way. But those who forced him into that position can't now complain about the current instability.

It did sound though that Venables is hinting strongly that he'd take the job on a permanent basis.

Or even just til the end of the season (as with Boro). Don't see why they don't just appoint him and let the new owners shoulder the cost of removing him as and when.

It's not practical to appoint a permanent manager and then be selling the club at the same time. The manager and players will be operating within a climate of uncertainty where decisions could get undone and people replaced the minute a new owner comes in. The whole point of a permanent appointment is so that they can think long-term, as Venables himself says.

I suppose Ashley could have kept quiet about his intention to sell the club asap, but it's likely that it would have leaked and I don't think he had much choice but to be up front. If there'd been uncertainty about whether or not he was going, then we'd have probably had an escalation of the campaign from those who wanted to force him out. For everyone's sake, that was what Ashley wanted to avoid.

No decision that he made in that situation was going to be 100% right and free of bad consequences.

What a farce, ultimately he has run the club terribly - I don't see West Ham lurching from disaster to disaster after Curbishley left in the huff.

That's because West Ham fans have largely accepted the situation and haven't launched a campaign to remove the owners. That is what has forced Ashley out and led to the current instability.

People have a right to form their own view of the situation and act accordingly. But you have to accept the consequences.

That's because West Ham fans have largely accepted the situation and haven't launched a campaign to remove the owners. That is what has forced Ashley out and led to the current instability.

People have a right to form their own view of the situation and act accordingly. But you have to accept the consequences.

If Ashley had come out with his statement earlier (minus the bit about wanting to sell the club) he would have avoided the majority of the protests and got on with appointing a decent manager.

Plus, with him selling the club any new owners are highly likely to immediately sack Dennis Wise & Derek Llambias to put their own people in charge.

If Ashley had simply done that from the start, Keegan may have come back & we'd have had far fewer protests.  Ashley probably wouldn't have to sell the club & we wouldn't be scrabbling around for an unemployed manager willing to steady the team.

Thank god for that, he's a crook and and shjte manager above all. Bring forth Fatih!

I doubt he's any worse than most prem managers actually.

Just he and George Graham were caught with their hands in the till.

I've heard rumours about many of the top managers.

Especially from Venables time in club management - The tales about Ron Atkinson were legion !

AT the end of the day Ashley has shown to everyone his true colours...He is no Newcastle fan, not even a real football fan. Newcastle United for him was just a bit of fun with a chance of making some profit down the years after getting bored of his toy. Along the line making sure the club is tightly financed and run as a cheap clothing department store like his own SportsDirect co. A win-win situation, or that's what he thought anyway.

It back fired big time in his face. Ashley didn't see Kevin Kegan's departure in the horizon nor he expected such back clash from the fans. His lack of experience in running a football club showed up when trying to mirror his SportsDirect business to Newcastle United. Now he wants out sooner than planned but still doesn't want to leave without a BIG profit which expected from a business man.

First and foremost he wanted to have a bit of a play with his new toy called Newcastle United and profit from it when the time came to sell his toy. He never really cared about bringing trophy to Newcastle United like what Abramovich wanted and not cared about how much money he spent because the two guys' aims were the opposite.

• 6 years later...