England vs Team We Should Beat: Part II

Neil

Effective, but I think we can do better, and will need to do better, in the course of time. We rely a lot on Rooney to make things happen for us. We'd look very predictable without him.

We still don't look that comfortable in midfield, in keeping and using possession. It would help is we had full backs who were more assured on the ball and who could help out more effectively.

For me, in midfield the only certain starters should be Gerrard and Barry. I'd like to play them with SWP and Joe Cole out wide. It might be a bit lightweight, but I'd give it a go in a friendly.

I think Capello will solve the Gerrard/Lampard dilemna. In the second half Gerrard played a bit more centrally and forward with Lampard doing what Carrick does for Man U. It was deliberate from Capello in response to their no.2 who was dangerous. Gerrard was able to get into him and also find a bit more space.

Lampard made the most (70) passes and was 80% accurate, whilst Gerrard and Rooney won the game.

I think you need both midfielders on the pitch but that they cant be asked to interchange their roles, they need clarity and freedom of thought (as englishmen) to excel. Its always been obvious to me that Lampard should play more deeply than Gerrard, as he is less athletic.

It should also be noted that it was Heskey that really won the game. Once we were in front, that was it.

Unlike some other Evertonians, I'm genuinely pleased Rooney is starting to find form. But some perspective needs to be used.

His overall performances have been improving as of late, he seems to be playing with more of a smile on his face. And for a player like Rooney, that can be the all-important factor. If he's enjoying his game, he's twice the player he is otherwise.

I don't however buy all this "what an amazing player!" malarky. A very good player yes, but until he delivers against the quality sides on a regular basis, I am yet to be convinced. Rooney needs a season which is full of excellent performances. He needs to start fully realising his potential - and by the looks of it, this season might just be it.

It should also be noted that it was Heskey that really won the game. Once we were in front, that was it.

Not really considering they equalised.

In the context of Heskey's contribution, i think you'll find it went 1-2 and we won 1-3.

Unlike some other Evertonians, I'm genuinely pleased Rooney is starting to find form. But some perspective needs to be used.

His overall performances have been improving as of late, he seems to be playing with more of a smile on his face. And for a player like Rooney, that can be the all-important factor. If he's enjoying his game, he's twice the player he is otherwise.

I don't however buy all this "what an amazing player!" malarky. A very good player yes, but until he delivers against the quality sides on a regular basis, I am yet to be convinced. Rooney needs a season which is full of excellent performances. He needs to start fully realising his potential - and by the looks of it, this season might just be it.

Rooney is certainly looking as good as I've seen him for a couple of years now, certainly in an England shirt.  However some of the hype, as usual with the media, is well over the top.  Apparently he was amazing against Croatia now, but at the time everyone was commenting on how shit he was in the first half and it was only the second half, in particular when they were down to 10 men, that he took control of the game.

He was excellent last night though and IMO it's because he's playing further forward and finally seems to be forming a proper partnership with someone.  Crouch, Defoe and even Owen all have better goal scoring records than Heskey, but none of them seem to work as well with Rooney as Heskey does.  Yeah the goals those other players bring are clearly important, but how many goals did Rooney score while playing alongside them over the last couple of years?  It's all about partnerships.

Ronney has hit form cause that's how he should be. he is the main striker at the moment at england squad. whilst at ManYoo he became second fiddle of Cronaldo. at ManYoo his job just Comes Deep to get ball and it repeated again by the formers of england manager. whilst Capello sees different he should more on to the penalty box. so great job there Capello.

Still think Rooney is massively overrated. He's had a few good games recently, and I guess that's credit to Capello, but I think Ferguson is / was in danger of ruining him as a player by playing him all over the shop.

Either way, as things stand, there's no way he's a world class player. He's good, and I'd have him in a Newcastle team, but i don't think he's even England's best, let alone in the worlds best.

Drivel.

Under Capello I think English people will see the English team become a more effiecient unit. And I think they will qualify with ease. However, I still think this group of England players may be found wanting against some higher quality sides. But that's hust because I think some of the players that will be spotlighting for England at the 2010 WC are that talented. There is just less talent in the squad than of other "top" nations, but England must be taken seriously as a contender again.

be mad not to have owen in the squad for a tournament. even if you dont start him he offers something different and can get goals in tricky situations. bring him on when the opposition are physically and mentally tired and he'll get into goalscoring positions.

Who says Owen has to start?? He is really not someone you want to be relying on.

i am not reply you babatunde... i just continue my posting above commenting some of the fans about ridiculling capello when he left owen. at the moment also defoe has more form than owen.

Heskey is a wonderful team player. Isn't it amazing how almost every striker he plays alongside does so well? I include the new guy at Wigan also, Amir Zaki.

It certainly cannot be a coincidence. It's such a shame he doesn't quite score enough goals, as it means he is hugely underated.

Rooney hasn't had the opportunity to play behind a striker with some presence for a little while now, and with Heskey for England and Berbatov for Man U, I think he will begin to play far better football.

i just ant get away with comments like "Rooney is over rated" is he fuck. Rooney is a class act. He is a top drawer player. Even when he's not on top of his game, i still love watching him. Touch, vision, passing ability, work rate - all World Class.

Heskey is a wonderful team player. Isn't it amazing how almost every striker he plays alongside does so well? I include the new guy at Wigan also, Amir Zaki.

It certainly cannot be a coincidence. It's such a shame he doesn't quite score enough goals, as it means he is hugely underated.

Rooney hasn't had the opportunity to play behind a striker with some presence for a little while now, and with Heskey for England and Berbatov for Man U, I think he will begin to play far better football.

It's good to see someone else feeling the Emile love.  Don't fight it.

Still think Rooney is massively overrated. He's had a few good games recently, and I guess that's credit to Capello, but I think Ferguson is / was in danger of ruining him as a player by playing him all over the shop.

Either way, as things stand, there's no way he's a world class player. He's good, and I'd have him in a Newcastle team, but i don't think he's even England's best, let alone in the worlds best.

100% correct.