The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

John-Joe O’Toole, Joe Ledley and Sebastian Larsson would all do.

3 mids?

How much? £3m/£7m/£4m?

We do lack midfielders though to be fair. :razz:

I'd be happy with any of them. O'Toole looks a cracking prospect and would be a really good signing if we could get him for around £3m. You've probably priced Ledley correctly too, although he apparently wants out and his contract is up next season so maybe you could knock a couple of million off his tag? We've all seen what Larsson can do. Wouldn't want us to pay over £4/£5m for him though.

All three would add something different to our squad in my opinion.

3 mids?

How much? £3m/£7m/£4m?

I'd be happy with any of them. O'Toole looks a cracking prospect and would be a really good signing if we could get him for around £3m. You've probably priced Ledley correctly too, although he apparently wants out and his contract is up next season so maybe you could knock a couple of million off his tag? We've all seen what Larsson can do. Wouldn't want us to pay over £4/£5m for him though.

I like what i've heard (not seen much admittedly) of all three, and yes they'd be good additions to bolster a weak mid, but my problem is they are all too general. I'd rather us bring in a rigid DMC, big strong athletic powerhouse to sit in front of the back four (Sissoko) then a slight, very pacey attacking mid who runs with the ball and frightens defenders (D'Alessandro) rather than general jack of all trades, i think that's been our problem for a while, having too many of that kind.

It wouldn't be the end of the world by any means and i'd welcome the additions and be pleased, just imo i reckon we need out and out style players, no more Scott Parker's, Geremi's, Barton's & even Emre's who we can never find the right formation for or blend.

What about Hernan Crespo, wouldnt be for the long term but hes a great soldier, always gives his all no matter where he plays.

As I remember it he wasn't able to adapt to the premier league at all, and that was a few years ago. Great player, but not for us I think.

He played 64 games for Chelsea and scored a goal every 2.66 games (24 goals).  No matter what other problems he may have had at Chelsea that's a pretty excellent goal scoring record.

That many? I didn't think he'd played half of that to be honest.. completely forgot about his wife losing the baby aswell.

3 mids?

How much? £3m/£7m/£4m?

I like what i've heard (not seen much admittedly) of all three, and yes they'd be good additions to bolster a weak mid, but my problem is they are all too general. I'd rather us bring in a rigid DMC, big strong athletic powerhouse to sit in front of the back four (Sissoko) then a slight, very pacey attacking mid who runs with the ball and frightens defenders (D'Alessandro) rather than general jack of all trades, i think that's been our problem for a while, having too many of that kind.

It wouldn't be the end of the world by any means and i'd welcome the additions and be pleased, just imo i reckon we need out and out style players, no more Scott Parker's, Geremi's, Barton's & even Emre's who we can never find the right formation for or blend.

I think with O'Toole he has something different about him. I'd say he can run with the ball and can make things happen plus he's chipped in with a fair few goals for Watford too.

I agree with your points though and I'd like to see signings of a similar nature. The good thing about all three is that they are still young and have plenty of potential to develop even further. If we can bring in one of these lads with a big powerhouse DM then I'd be happy. Then in the summer window, I'd look at bringing in a really classy attacking midfielder.

What about Hernan Crespo, wouldnt be for the long term but hes a great soldier, always gives his all no matter where he plays.

As I remember it he wasn't able to adapt to the premier league at all, and that was a few years ago. Great player, but not for us I think.

He played 64 games for Chelsea and scored a goal every 2.66 games (24 goals).  No matter what other problems he may have had at Chelsea that's a pretty excellent goal scoring record.

That many? I didn't think he'd played half of that to be honest.. completely forgot about his wife losing the baby aswell.

You probably just forgot his second spell at Chelsea?  He played 31 games for Chelsea in the 2003-2004 season and scored 12 goals.  He left on loan to AC Milan for the 2004-2005 season.  But then came back in 2005-2006 and played 33 games scoring 12 goals.

John-Joe OToole, Joe Ledley and Sebastian Larsson would all do.

3 mids?

How much? £3m/£7m/£4m?

I think with O'Toole he has something different about him. I'd say he can run with the ball and can make things happen plus he's chipped in with a fair few goals for Watford too.

I agree with your points though and I'd like to see signings of a similar nature. The good thing about all three is that they are still young and have plenty of potential to develop even further. If we can bring in one of these lads with a big powerhouse DM then I'd be happy. Then in the summer window, I'd look at bringing in a really classy attacking midfielder.

I think Kinnear has specifically said he wants a big dominant centre midfielder in the mould of Vierra which I agree with, but he has to be a class player otherwise there's no point. If it's another Amdy Faye, we're better off sticking to what we've got. He should ditch any plans to bring in Upson and spend the extra on a really good midfielder.

A bit dominant midfielder alongside Barton would work well IMO. Barton is decent enough on the ball and can get goals if he gets forward as he proved at City.

I agree, I honestly think Barton would be one hell of a player now if he hadn't screwed up so many times.  If he sorts himself out I can see him being a 10-15m player one day.

Guest firetotheworks

Its a fairly obvious thing to say but I think how well we do depends on whether we get midfielders who are back up to Butt and Guthrie or if Butt and Guthrie are replacements for them. Say what you want about Guthrie and especially Butt, but having those two on the bench would suggest we have a fairly strong midfield.

Its a fairly obvious thing to say but I think how well we do depends on whether we get midfielders who are back up to Butt and Guthrie or if Butt and Guthrie are replacements for them. Say what you want about Guthrie and especially Butt, but having those two on the bench would suggest we have a fairly strong midfield.

In an ideal world next season those two would definitely be no more bench players.

In an ideal world next season those two would definitely be no more bench players.

The squad could be rotated so they are both starting games now and then, just to keep them sweet. Then we would be talking about a squad that is capable of going places.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has revealed that he is expecting to part company with Mark Viduka in the summer.

The Australian striker has only recently returned to the Magpies' first-team fold after a troublesome back problem.

He has seen his 18-month stint on Tyneside blighted by injury, but remains an integral part of the St James' Park set-up.

His physical attributes help to add a different dimension to the Newcastle side, allowing him to provide the perfect foil to the natural goalscoring instincts of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins.

However, Viduka - along with Owen, Steve Harper, Nicky Butt and Shola Ameobi - will be out of contract in the summer and is yet to be offered a new deal.

When questioned on the matter, Kinnear insisted that new terms have not been forthcoming because questions marks remain over the 33-year-old's plans for the future.

"The word around the club when I first arrived was that he was retiring and going back to Australia at the end of the season," the Magpies manager told the Evening Chronicle.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4664209,00.html

Guest Howaythetoon

JOE Kinnear has revealed he may have to dip into the Championship in January in order to bolster his paper-thin Newcastle United squad.

Injuries this season have exposed the frailties of United’s roster this term but Kinnear says he is looking forward to strengthening his side when the transfer window reopens on January 1.

Kinnear is renowned for his wheeler dealer qualities in the game and has no qualms about picking up talent available in the Football League.

And on a day when Kinnear awoke to headlines from Mike Ashley claiming he was better than Fabio Capello, the Toon boss has met with the owner to discuss which players he is allowed to bid for.

Wolves star Michael Kightly is certainly one player who has been scouted by Dennis Wise this season but the former Chelsea man has also been spotted at Watford with John-Joe O’Toole also linked.

Kinnear said today: "I have spoken to him (Ashley) about various areas where I want improve.

"We’ll wait and see.

"We need to strengthen the whole squad, there will be a cap.

"I may have go into the Championship and buy there, I always have done."

And speaking on the glowing reference from Ashley comparing him with the England boss, JK joked: "I already knew that!

"I saw the article and was surprised in many ways it makes a change from the normal ones, it is Christmas."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/18/joe-kinnear-looks-for-championship-stars-at-nufc-72703-22505489/

Its starting already... big come down from internationals, Premier League players and foreign stars he's been hinting at. If he has to buy from the Championship that's where we'll be heading. Oh well, we have the right manager for that level anyway.

JOE Kinnear has revealed he may have to dip into the Championship in January in order to bolster his paper-thin Newcastle United squad.

Injuries this season have exposed the frailties of United’s roster this term but Kinnear says he is looking forward to strengthening his side when the transfer window reopens on January 1.

Kinnear is renowned for his wheeler dealer qualities in the game and has no qualms about picking up talent available in the Football League.

And on a day when Kinnear awoke to headlines from Mike Ashley claiming he was better than Fabio Capello, the Toon boss has met with the owner to discuss which players he is allowed to bid for.

Wolves star Michael Kightly is certainly one player who has been scouted by Dennis Wise this season but the former Chelsea man has also been spotted at Watford with John-Joe O’Toole also linked.

Kinnear said today: "I have spoken to him (Ashley) about various areas where I want improve.

"We’ll wait and see.

And speaking on the glowing reference from Ashley comparing him with the England boss, JK joked: "I already knew that!

"I saw the article and was surprised in many ways it makes a change from the normal ones, it is Christmas."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/18/joe-kinnear-looks-for-championship-stars-at-nufc-72703-22505489/

Its starting already... big come down from internationals, Premier League players and foreign stars he's been hinting at. If he has to buy from the Championship that's where we'll be heading. Oh well, we have the right manager for that level anyway.

He was hinting at going for some Championship players ages ago.

Guest Howaythetoon

"We’ll wait and see.

Aye but he was Forest's manager then.

"We’ll wait and see.

Wrong.

Guest Howaythetoon

"We’ll wait and see.

Wrong.

Mong.

"We’ll wait and see.

Wrong.

Mong.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Guest Howaythetoon

"We’ll wait and see.

Wrong.

Mong.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

OK

"We’ll wait and see.

Wrong.

Mong.

He said about 2 months ago that in January he will target players in the Championship