The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Joe Kinnear wants to make West Ham's Matthew Upson his first signing at Newcastle United and there is quiet confidence at St James' Park that, with West Ham facing financial difficulties, Newcastle will be able to prise the 29-year-old England centre-back away from Upton Park.

Kinnear spoke last week about having the funds from owner Mike Ashley to sanction two £6m signings, but it would take more than £6m to get Upson. However, with West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola being told that he will be able to re-invest a certain amount to shape a new squad, Newcastle could possibly offer £8m to make the transfer happen. West Ham will be keen to lose Upson's salary, if not the player.

Newcastle also have a long-standing interest in Blackburn's Stephen Warnock but even this theoretical recruitment process is evidence of Ashley's willingness to hear Kinnear's views and according to Kinnear, Michael Owen will not be leaving the club in January. "No chance," he said yesterday.

Kinnear is less optimistic though that Owen will remain at Newcastle after his contract expires at the end of the season. "I am not that confident to be honest," he said."I will sit down with Michael on Tuesday. I'm pretty confident about everyone else but Michael is a different kettle of fish."

Owen, 29 tomorrow, is one of seven players whose contracts have been allowed to run down but Kinnear said that four of the players – Owen, Nicky Butt, Shola Ameobi and Steve Harper – will receive new offers on Monday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-target-pound8m-upson-1064415.html

My general distaste for Kinnear means i'm going to nitpick and scrutinise everything he does. I'm not even gonna deny that, i'd call it human.

But that's just a load of bollocks Lowndsy man. For one thing, i'd probably prefer it if Joe Kinnear didn't buy anyone. I don't trust his judgement and i don't like the idea of him spending our money. I concede that that's slightly off the point, but i - without doubt - would prefer it if our management team said zilch about our targets, rather than loads about our targets. He must have named four+ individual targets in public. You just don't do it as far as i'm concerned; it hinders your chances of getting them/getting them for the 'right' price.

100% agree on all counts

Where's Jon to tell us how injury prone Upson is!? :razz:

He's missed 73 minutes of football all season and has played 90 minutes for Engerland as well.

Fuck sending these players to Steadman, all they need is for me to state they are too injury prone to sign for us and watch them play more games the next season than they ever have managed before (see also Woodgate)  :laugh:

My general distaste for Kinnear means i'm going to nitpick and scrutinise everything he does. I'm not even gonna deny that, i'd call it human.

But that's just a load of bollocks Lowndsy man. For one thing, i'd probably prefer it if Joe Kinnear didn't buy anyone. I don't trust his judgement and i don't like the idea of him spending our money. I concede that that's slightly off the point, but i - without doubt - would prefer it if our management team said zilch about our targets, rather than loads about our targets. He must have named four+ individual targets in public. You just don't do it as far as i'm concerned; it hinders your chances of getting them/getting them for the 'right' price.

100% agree on all counts

me too.. that'd be an awful decision. We can bring in Cannavaro and it still would be a marginal improvement in the team, because it's blindingly fucking obvious that we lose our games in midfield. On top of that I really don't rate Upson, and 7 million? awful, awful decision.. please don't let it be true.

wonder if we push  :colo: into midfield and put upson at the bak with bassong?

Would be a good move I think, I can't see it happening though as Kinnear would have moved him into midfield against Stoke I would have thought.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Upson as the last player .com mentioned that nobody else had picked up on was guthrie and he signed.

they also said deco and rivaldo in the past.

And Distin in Jan 05.

We did move for Distin though didn't we? Pretty sure Souness confirmed it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Upson as the last player .com mentioned that nobody else had picked up on was guthrie and he signed.

And Distin in Jan 05.

Must be true then.

And Distin in Jan 05.

Must be true then.

Man City confirmed it too so I take it it's true.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-weigh-up-kuffour-move-as-city-reject-distin-bid-495719.html

And Distin in Jan 05.

Must be true then.

Man City confirmed it too so I take it it's true.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-weigh-up-kuffour-move-as-city-reject-distin-bid-495719.html

Like I said, must be true then. ;)

why on earth are we going after a LB? Warnock, Mareque and that guy from Hearts! Don't bloody need a LB, Joe!

Eh? Are you joking?

I'd say that's probably the weakest part of the entire team, both in terms of numbers AND quality.

why on earth are we going after a LB? Warnock, Mareque and that guy from Hearts! Don't bloody need a LB, Joe!

Eh? Are you joking?

I'd say that's probably the weakest part of the entire team, both in terms of numbers AND quality.

Would like to see us go for a central midfielder first. but yeah, could do with another LB actually (Was thinking of Bassong as cover, but wouldn't move him out of CD now)

Upson, Warnock and Noble would be very good additions to our squad but I couldn't see any of them happening unfortunately.

I could see all three happening in all honesty.

Upson: Apparently one of WHU's biggest earners, and we all know they're in financial trouble.

Warnock: Ince is a twat :lol: and if they keep going the way they're going (no win in 10 and Warnock getting played at CM out of position) he might want to leave.

Noble: Zola said he didn't want to sell any of his 'key' players - for me that would suggest Upson, Ashton, Bellamy and Green. Noble isn't even a nailed on starter these days and flits from starter to bench. Could easily see him leaving.

Upson, Warnock and Noble would be very good additions to our squad but I couldn't see any of them happening unfortunately.

I could see all three happening in all honesty.

Upson: Apparently one of WHU's biggest earners, and we all know they're in financial trouble.

Warnock: Ince is a twat :lol: and if they keep going the way they're going (no win in 10 and Warnock getting played at CM out of position) he might want to leave.

Noble: Zola said he didn't want to sell any of his 'key' players - for me that would suggest Upson, Ashton, Bellamy and Green. Noble isn't even a nailed on starter these days and flits from starter to bench. Could easily see him leaving.

I don't see why any would sign for us, for starters, and I don't believe we'd have the cash to get 2 of them, let alone 3... then would we pay Upson's wages, etc.?

No chance.