The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

why on earth are we going after a LB? Warnock, Mareque and that guy from Hearts! Don't bloody need a LB, Joe!

Eh? Are you joking?

I'd say that's probably the weakest part of the entire team, both in terms of numbers AND quality.

Speechless.... two words, central midfield.

why on earth are we going after a LB? Warnock, Mareque and that guy from Hearts! Don't bloody need a LB, Joe!

Eh? Are you joking?

I'd say that's probably the weakest part of the entire team, both in terms of numbers AND quality.

Guthrie and Barton are decent. The rest, very much not so. And they've both got injury/fitness and discipline issues.

Eh? Are you joking?

Barton, Butt, Guthrie, Geremi, Gonzalez and N'Zogbia are all players who would call central midfield their preferred position. Then you take into account all of the other players in the squad who have/can play there.

Enrique... the player who would call left-back his preferred position. N'Zogbia can play there adequately, Bassong can play there adequately, but that's about it.

Eh? Are you joking?

Barton, Butt, Guthrie, Geremi, Gonzalez and N'Zogbia are all players who would call central midfield their preferred position. Then you take into account all of the other players in the squad who have/can play there.

Enrique... the player who would call left-back his preferred position. N'Zogbia can play there adequately, Bassong can play there adequately, but that's about it.

The Zog may "call" central midfield his preferred position, but that certainly doesn't mean we should let him play there.

Out of the remainder, Barton is good, Guthrie is adequte, and the other two are liabilities. Also,  Barton is also the only one out of any of our CMs who contributes much on the break, and he's crocked till January.

CM is the most important position on the pitch, but we're lacking in quality, variety, and numbers.

a new CM is clearly our highest priority, followed closely by a second new CM. You only really need 2 LBs and we sort of have that with Enrique/Zog/Bassong.

I would like to see us bring in a CM, as I've said on this thread already, but LB stands out like a sore thumb to me. I also think you're being incredibly harsh on Butt and Geremi.

Enrique is extremely questionable at times (and that's being polite) and if he gets injured there's not any natural cover there at all.

Both positions obviously need strengthening, like, along with RB.

To buy two central midfielders before a LB (if things worked like that) would be madness though.

If the upson rumour is true then i'd imagine he would slot in at CB with colo and with beye at RB and maybe a loan of riise from roma at LB, would be a canny defence if they gel right and much improved on the current back 4! Hopefully then another buy and /or loan in the midfield area would see us in a decent position to avoid the drop!

Jimmy Bullard and Jan Polak are 2 of the midfielders we're looking at apparently.

Jimmy Bullard is a player I would never have associated with us last season but he's always looked decent when I've watched Fulham games. Capello seems to like him as well.

CM is a must.

If we have to sign a cb and a lb, I'd prefer someone young and in the Bassong mould (unknown and inexpensive), not someone of the Upson mould (expensive, high wages and reputation precedes talent). Other than that, a new winger and a backup rb (in the young, inexpensive mould) would be nice too.

As for the here and now... in terms of improving the first team, the only position i'd be fussed about investing in would be centre-midfield. The rest of the team is beyond fine.

Aside from that, we need cover for full-backs.

Long-term we'll need a striker (probably two when you think about it), with Viduka/Owen/Shola/Smith all potentially leaving. Again, long-term, i reckon a winger will probably represent itself as a priority. We'll need rid of Duff and we're a bit short down the right-hand side. Geremi's hardly ideal.

As for January, though. I really don't want to see Kinnear spending whatever cash we've got. 1, i don't trust him. 2, he's got no right to build a squad when he's not here long-term. 3, it'll mean yet another transition period when everything finally gets sorted. This whole 5 players thing isn't really doing it for me; a couple of loans max would do me fine. The team is very good as it is, we could sign Kaka without improving a great deal.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bullard is a good passer, gets forward and plays at a high tempo - ticks the box really as we lack that in midfield in general. Yes please. Not exactly a top notch player but an improvement on what we have I think.

I'd be over the moon with Bullard. 

I really wouldn't. Center-midfield is something we need to absolutely nail - spend some proper cash on a genuinely quality player who is going to be mint for us. Kinnear can fuck off; the centre-mid (aswell as the entire team) good enough until the end of the season. I'd rather we waited to solve this very, very pressing problem (on a permanent basis, i mean) when the club is in a stable position, with a proper manager.

Bullard would be good for us, he's also very good with a deadball which is something we tend to lack. I don't expect to see the kind of player we want to see in the middle of the park arriving in January, so based on that if we got Bullard for a few seasons I'd be happy with that for a start.