The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

i'm with the people who say shut this thread down and any others like it - negative psychology approach...!  the more we analyse and talk the less actually happens, lets ALL assume nothing is going to happen and behave accordingly then maybe something will happen?

cant believe we weren't in the mix for bullard, surely we could of raised 5 mil (the milner money alone would have sufficed), and regardless of the turmoil we are in we are a much bigger club than hull, so if the player had to choose, then im sure it would have been us, on the other hand, optimistically thinking,  the reason we weren't in for him could be due to the fact we have 'bigger irons in the fire', or are in negotiations with similar players already :idiot2:, hope to christ i am right

Read somewhere it was the wages that killed it. Apparently he wanted 45 or 50k and we are trying to bring the wage bill down.

"The Rabbit" is the latest one:

Newcastle United have taken a step closer to sealing a deal for out-of-favour Argentine striker Javier Saviola from Real Madrid after the player expressed his frustrations at lack of playing time in Spain.

Speaking to Spanish publication Marca Saviola stated that his future lies either in the Premier League or in the Calcio.

He stated that neither Bernd Schuster, nor new boss Juande Ramos have shown any faith in him, and that at one point Ramos told him that if he wanted to play regularly, he should leave Madrid.

'Juande Ramos told me that if I want to play regularly, I should join a smaller team,' said Saviola.

'My situation is intolerable, and I want to leave Madrid in the January transfer window,' he added.

'It's a difficult situation. You have to be very strong mentally because as each game goes by without playing you are destroyed a little more psychologically,' the 27-year-old lamented.

In the interview, 'The Rabbit' as he is called, spoke of a possible move to England.

'My future is away from Real Madrid. I would not want to stay in Spain. I see myself in the Premier League, or in the Serie A.'

Newcastle United are known admirers of the 27-year-old having made enquiries about his availability several times since last summer. Now that the player has himself expressed a desire to leave, the Magpies can finally tie up a deal that would appease fans who are yet again questioning the ability and credibility of the United board.

The price quoted for the Argentine speedster is £6 million, and the Magpies are said to be keen on reaching an agreement with the Bernabeu club.

Premier League or Serie A? OK, so that's roughly 40 teams he could go to (and 39 better options for the guy), and they pick us out cos we've let the world know we're after players.

What a joke of an article. :lol: Where's it from?

Premier League or Serie A? OK, so that's roughly 40 teams he could go to (and 39 better options for the guy), and they pick us out cos we've let the world know we're after players.

What a joke of an article. :lol: Where's it from?

"Vital Football". One of the least likely ones I'd say.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8317259

MADRID, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Javier Saviola wants Real Madrid to decide whether to play him or let him leave, the Argentina striker said on Saturday.

"It's a difficult situation. You have to be very strong mentally because as each game goes by without playing you are destroyed a little more psychologically," the 27-year-old told sports daily Marca.

"I spoke to (coach) Juande (Ramos) to find out where I stood. I told him I needed to play and if I wasn't in his plans to notify the management to allow me to go during the January transfer window because this situation is intolerable."

Saviola left arch-rivals Barcelona in 2007 after falling out of favour with then-coach Frank Rijkaard.

He found himself in a similar situation under Bernd Schuster last season as Real won the Primera Liga title and little has changed in recent months.

Saviola has started once in the league this season despite Ruud van Nistelrooy being ruled out with a serious knee injury and Robinho leaving to join Manchester City.

PATIENCE TESTED

"My patience had run out last summer," said the striker. "I spoke to Schuster to find out if he was really counting on me for this year and he said he was. He advised me to stay."

Schuster was replaced in December by Ramos, the man Saviola played under while on loan at Sevilla in season 2005-06, but the player has yet to feature in a league game under the new Real coach.

"The club imposed a series of conditions for me to be able to go in January even though they said they still counted on me but it has all been thrown in the air by the resignation of the club president last week," said Saviola.

"Now the board say they do not want to tamper with the team."

New signing Klaas Jan Huntelaar has recently joined Raul and Gonzalo Higuain ahead of Saviola in the Real pecking order.

(Writing by Mark Elkington, editing by Tony Jimenez)

If we got Saviola I'd probably just about rip my cock off.

Why? He has done very little for a long time.

He's undoubtedly a good player - why else would Barca and Real Madrid sign him on to start with?

He's undoubtedly a good player - why else would Barca and Real Madrid sign him on to start with?

Barca did not look to keep him on & Real are dumping him. He has not been a great success at either BUT if we could get him & then get him to a level he showed early on his career he would be a good signing. But he has been a fringe player for a long time now so he may of lost his edge.

Guest The Libertine

Barca did not look to keep him on & Real are dumping him. He has not been a great success at either BUT if we could get him & then get him to a level he showed early on his career he would be a good signing. But he has been a fringe player for a long time now so he may of lost his edge.

that level for £6 million would be a truly great signing. pretty big "if" of course.

he'd also come in very handy next year if owen is leaving.

We can't afford the guy's wages. Have we learnt nothing?

Saviola is actually a class player though and would be worth the wages he'd be on. Alan Smith on the other hand, isn't anywhere near a class player and therefore isn't worth anywhere near the wages he's on. This is what we need to learn.

b******!! Keep forgetting about that :(

If Owen goes it won't be a problem.

Saviola won't get what we are currently paying Owen.

b******!! Keep forgetting about that :(

If Owen goes it won't be a problem.

Saviola won't get what we are currently paying Owen.

I read he`s on 2.5m euros a year.

would be great at least to try and get him on loan. I`m sure Real might even be willing to pay half or part of his wages if it helps get him off their books in a loan deal.

I`m sure we`re not in for him anyways

Guest Stephen927

Saviola is a very good player but it doesn't seem to fit in with the clubs current financial position and the fact that we're not willing to spunk loads on wages anymore.