Paul Merson is a fckn pr*ck - Tyne / Wear derby not a big game

Jay Jay Sea

Merson: "Newcastle-Sunderland isn't in the league of the Arsenal-Tottenham's. People in Southampton today won't care what's happening in this game"

Stelling: "But when Arsenal play Tottenham, the whole of the North East couldn't care less"

:lol:

Apparently he said that people in Southampton won't be talking about this game.

Having lived there, I can categorically say that is not true, the game always packed the pubs out down there.

:snod:

To be fair, my dad and other people i know who watch football didnt know this was on today, maybe because Liverpool v Everton is over publicised?

The others are always massively bummed because they include the top four. Simple as that.

To be fair, my dad and other people i know who watch football didnt know this was on today, maybe because Liverpool v Everton is over publicised?

The others are always massively bummed because they include the top four. Simple as that.

This.

But exactly that's the point, it works all ways. When derbies are on most people not concerned don't really know about it.

Merson: "Newcastle-Sunderland isn't in the league of the Arsenal-Tottenham's. People in Southampton today won't care what's happening in this game"

Stelling: "But when Arsenal play Tottenham, the whole of the North East couldn't care less"

Cockneys live in their own self-congratulatory, little dream world, and end up talking sh*te.

Merson and Rodney Marsh are two fine examples.

Living down here, I have to say it's generally true that most southerners know the least about the realities of football.

I work with Cockney Reds and Cockney Scousers as well as Spurs and Chelsea fans, but not one of them has been to an away game. Ever.

Their geographical ignorance of the rest of the UK is mind-boggling.

When the Wembley Stadium debacle was at it's height, and I suggested maybe it would have been better to build the National stadium

perhaps somewhere like Birmingham, they were all up in arms, saying they'd have to travel 150 miles for a final. Explaining to them

that a lot of travelling away support - especially Newcastle fans - face that problem every second weekend, I was met with blank faces.

It doesn't surprise me that Merson is a clueless twat. He's a Londoner. Good point from Jeff Stelling though.

:)  That bloke is edging closer towards a knighthood everyday haha!

The Manchester derby.. the derby that only 1 team cares about. 

Or that intimidating as hell Merseyside derby that might as well not even have home and away sections as the fans just all sit so cosily amongst each other and have nice little chats.

Merson is a clueless drunk, everyoen can see this.  Even the other Soccer Saturday pundits.