Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

Setanta ripping into Barton.

His performance was quality, gives us some real confidence/arrogance in the middle of the park

Apart from the obvious, Enrique and Duff were very good second half

Thought for his overall contribution, Ameobi was MOM

Aye, that was out of order from Setanta IMO. Didn't say a word about how he bossed the midfield today and got a very important assist.

Was booked for a lot less than the knee he took in the face too.

For what it's worth, he's my opinion

Tonight proved what a simple game football can be. No matter the apparent form 2 teams are in, its 11 v 11 on the pitch, and tonight emphasised the vital importance of the 1st goal in a match. Whilst people may argue that the first goal was slightly undeserved on the balance of play up until Martins' great strike, there was no doubt that Newcastle were by far and away the better team after it.

Jonas and Martins are, I feel, the 2 most important players in the team. By that I mean, when those 2 turn up, Newcastle will play well. And I felt this was the case tonight. Gutierrez's run for the second showed that he has that something different, the ability to easily beat his man through a sudden burst of pace. Martins was a workhorse all night, and deserved his goals.

And at the back, I must say I haven't seen Newcastle defend so well for a long time. Perhaps the mistake by Colo for Agbonlahor's chance aside, it was a near spotless performance from the back, and this was complemented by a hard-working midfield.

Whilst it was disappointing Butt's sensational efforts (!) didn't go in, I felt Barton optimised the team's general performance. Aggressive but fair, tenacious, and always looking for the ball. I couldn't really see a major weak link in the side tonight, and to criticise players using tonight's performances as a basis would be highly pedantic imo.

Overall, great to see Newcastle do what everyone knows they can do - produce a hungry, highly motivated performance and deservedly get the 3 points they so desperately required.

Well done.

:clap: :clap:

Guest Chris P

All of these media outlets saying Villa were unlucky - :lol:

We dominated them.

Thought both Taylor and Coloccini were fantastic. They defended really well as a partnership for a change.

It's the first time that I've watched us that I was confident that the other team wouldn't score, and it's not like we were playing someone crap.

totally agree

So next match does he stick with Oba and shola or start with Owen.

6 months ago he was unemployed without a hope of managing a Championship side.  In the last two matches he's had his first sniff of a good team getting good results and good performances.  If I were him, I wouldn't change a thing. 

Is Owen leaving or staying?

An overall very decent performance from us today. I don't think anyone played badly. The Barton incident(s) is/are getting over exaggerated. Good to see Enrique put in a good shift, cant recall him putting a foot wrong, he has a very good first touch.

I thought Jonas looked a bit tired in the first half and was a bit quiet in the second but his run was brilliant and made it look so easy.

Tonight proved what a simple game football can be. No matter the apparent form 2 teams are in, its 11 v 11 on the pitch, and tonight emphasised the vital importance of the 1st goal in a match. Whilst people may argue that the first goal was slightly undeserved on the balance of play up until Martins' great strike, there was no doubt that Newcastle were by far and away the better team after it.

Jonas and Martins are, I feel, the 2 most important players in the team. By that I mean, when those 2 turn up, Newcastle will play well. And I felt this was the case tonight. Gutierrez's run for the second showed that he has that something different, the ability to easily beat his man through a sudden burst of pace. Martins was a workhorse all night, and deserved his goals.

And at the back, I must say I haven't seen Newcastle defend so well for a long time. Perhaps the mistake by Colo for Agbonlahor's chance aside, it was a near spotless performance from the back, and this was complemented by a hard-working midfield.

Whilst it was disappointing Butt's sensational efforts (!) didn't go in, I felt Barton optimised the team's general performance. Aggressive but fair, tenacious, and always looking for the ball. I couldn't really see a major weak link in the side tonight, and to criticise players using tonight's performances as a basis would be highly pedantic imo.

Overall, great to see Newcastle do what everyone knows they can do - produce a hungry, highly motivated performance and deservedly get the 3 points they so desperately required.

Well done.

Seconded,a fine neutral post.

Well done.

Seconded,a fine neutral post.

Closet Newcastle fan, tbh ;)

Nah, very good post Lien, keep it up mate O0

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought we were quite poor as a team up until the opening goal. Sure we defended well and did pass it about well at times too but we were reluctant to take a chance, gamble or get forward with any real conviction for the vast majority of the game resulting in lots of moans and groans from the stands. After Martins' fantastic goal though that all changed and we dominated thereafter and fully deserved our second and the 3 points. The most pleasing aspect of the mixed performance however was our spirit, fight and steely resolve in defence. Well played the lads and well done to Kinnear. I didn't expect anything from this match so I'm ecstatic right now. This is a massive result. We now need to keep it going. Regarding Villa they looked a very average side to me which shows that gap is very very small between the likes of us and them in terms of personnel out there on the pitch. In my opinion anyway. Each and every one of our players played well enough without being outstanding and I thought the fans got behind the team well enough too, again without being outstanding ourselves. All in all a very very big win for us and a good night all-round. Again well done the lads and Kinnear, we cannot ask for any more than that really. Lets keep it going.