Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

Guest diddimz

Great result there, I'll admit i didn't expect us to get anything from that game, but was happily proven wrong. The table is insane at the moment though, same amount of points difference between 1st and 6th as there is between 7th and 20th.

That was the best performance from a Newcastle side I've seen for the last six months. I am just so proud of the lads tonight. Today the players played for their shirt and the badge. Monumental.

I'm please my fellow NUFC followers are getting behind Barton, and starting to see the biased sh*t the media are throwing at him.

They're FURIOUS we seem to have turned the corner.

Thanks be to JFK and yes, Joey B. (smartest thing you ever did, Joey - kissing the badge. Went down well)

That was the best performance from a Newcastle side I've seen for the last six months. I am just so proud of the lads tonight. Today the players played for their shirt and the badge. Monumental.

Word up, awesome to go to bed with a performance like that behind us for once. I remember when this used to happen most weeks, we seem to be on the up again though.

I'm not going to get carried away because there is a long way to go and another couple of bad results will put us right back in it. And it would be fair to say that Villa weren't at their best at all.

If we keep on getting results (and performing as we did in the second half in particular) like that for the duration of Kinnear's tenure though, there will be few complaints from me.

That's the worst I have seen us play in a very long time.

Cuellar and Laursen were alright, the rest were dreadful.

I honestly don't think you looked a great deal better, but you certainly deserved the points. We just looked tired and devoid of ideas.

Wretched stuff.

Well. Honestly never thought our lads had that performance in them at the moment but they proved me wrong and then some. First half was fairly even but second looked like fifth vs bottom except the other way round.

Martins and Ameobi dominated their centre halves, our pace scared them a lot more than theirs did to us (they shat themselves when Oba and Jonas got the ball), Coloccini was fucking immense, Taylor also solid, I really couldn't fault any of our lads. A top quality showing.

:celb:

I honestly don't think you looked a great deal better, but you certainly deserved the points. We just looked tired and devoid of ideas.

Wretched stuff.

I was very surprised at the Villa performance, especially when they went behind they just seemed to lack the fight.

Might have been very different if Agbonlahor had stuck that chance away though...

Wretched stuff.

We had a game plan to gang up on your wide players and make sure there were no gaps for your pacey players to exploit and it was very effective. It restricted us going forward but defensively kept you out barring one or two slips (which you expect from us).

I don't think either of their two chances was down to bad defending by the way. Don't really remember how the ball came to Gabby for his chance, but once he got it, his pass out to the right and the ball back in were both excellent, and the build up to Young's chance was very good as well, especially his first touch which set him up for the shot.

Other than that, they didn't create anything, and that was down to some excellent defending, especially from our full backs.

I'm not going to get carried away because there is a long way to go and another couple of bad results will put us right back in it. And it would be fair to say that Villa weren't at their best at all.

If we keep on playing like that (second half in particular) for the duration of Kinnear's tenure though then they'll be few complaints from me.

Absolutely correct.

But I don't think Villa are as good as their results would have us believe anyways.

Hull too, but I salute them. While I'm at it - Everton are NOT a good team and have been found out this season and have been getting lucky results like Saturday otherwise they'd be below us.

But I'd like to pass on my sincere thanks to Joe Kinnear for stopping the rot.

Praise is earned.

Guest Geordiesned

Well. Honestly never thought our lads had that performance in them at the moment but they proved me wrong and then some. First half was fairly even but second looked like fifth vs bottom except the other way round.

I see what you've done there...  :pow:

Just back from the game and I liked the fact that Bennett riled the crowd as the atmsophere would generally go up a notch. From my seat, Barton booking looked like he won the ball, but my dad told me he went in with his studs so I can understand getting a booking. However, Oba Martins got takn out after the ball had gone and Bennett didn't even have a word with the Villa player causing Martins to stupidly get himself booked. Then Ameobi is booked for a foul on Laursen, but then Laursen doesn't get booked for a blatant similar foul on Ameobi, explain that! HTT has already mentioned the referee and liesman giving opposite decisions like when Jonas played the ball out off a Villa player and we were given the throw in by the linesman, but Bennett gave it to Villa. The first half as well when Barton was taken out and Villa got the free kick, it made no sense at all!

Onto the performance and I thought we did very well, although Villa had chances. Agbonlahor missed a gilt edged opportunity, really should have scored. Martins took his first goal well rolling the defender with ease, but Jonas deserved the applause for his excellent ball and perfectly weighted ball for goal 2.

Ameobi was my MotM, a super battling performance and if Oba anticipated the ball getting flicked on or played through he would get more chances.

Given pulled off a great save from Young, but wasn't really tested after that. Coloccini looked superb, excellent tackling and heading ability. Taylor had a good game, but went on a walkabout for a couple of minutes second half. Enrique and Beye were great. Midfielder did well in the battle with Villa with Reo-Coker non existent and Barry average.

Guest michaelfoster

GET IN!

Just got home, best performance in a long time although Villa were very poor

Given - 7.5 Made an excellent stop in the first half was reliable throughout

Enrique - 7 Looked shakey at the start, was skinned a few times

Colocinni - 8 Cool, Calm & Collected

Taylor 7.5 - Did well without his usual f*ck up

Beye - 8 Good in defence & attack

Duff - 7.5 Confidence coming back now

Butt - 7 Did quite well & like Taylor didnt do his usual f*ck up, nearly scored a freekick too.

Barton - 8 Ran the midfeld

Jones - 9 Dangerous on the left, dangerous on the right

Ameobi - 7.5 First touch much better but still cant head the ball to save his life, even at 6ft 5.

Martins - 8 Pace caused problems & scored twice.

Cacapa - 6 Steady when came on

Owen - N/A

NUFC Fans - 8

Villa Fans - 4 - So quiet you could see the tumbleweed

Steve Bennett - 4 just f*ck off please

Guest Howaythetoon

Butt for me was the big let down or rather the big weak spot once again. He's the opposite to Barton in possession - wasteful. The opposite to Duff on the ball - sloppy control. The opposite to Jonas - slow and immobile. He's the weak link in there and stood out like a sore thumb. He didn't play badly and I'm not knocking him just that he's the odd man out and its noticeable.

Wretched stuff.

that's the "actual different" between our team and your team... our team had simply more potential quality than your team...

Wretched stuff.

I was very surprised at the Villa performance, especially when they went behind they just seemed to lack the fight.

Might have been very different if Agbonlahor had stuck that chance away though...

It might NOT have been either.

How often have we been the better side and then give a way a goal and collapse ? (A LOT is the answer. Villa are NOT "unlucky" because of it - thats what we expect from the BBC & Setanta and the rags)

Barton went in with his studs but he got the ball. The card was for his reputation, not the crime. I'm pleased with the way we played as team. Players were rushing back, supporting each other in attack and even though we weren't playing beautiful, attractive football, we still controlled the game.