Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

For what it's worth, he's my opinion

Tonight proved what a simple game football can be. No matter the apparent form 2 teams are in, its 11 v 11 on the pitch, and tonight emphasised the vital importance of the 1st goal in a match. Whilst people may argue that the first goal was slightly undeserved on the balance of play up until Martins' great strike, there was no doubt that Newcastle were by far and away the better team after it.

Jonas and Martins are, I feel, the 2 most important players in the team. By that I mean, when those 2 turn up, Newcastle will play well. And I felt this was the case tonight. Gutierrez's run for the second showed that he has that something different, the ability to easily beat his man through a sudden burst of pace. Martins was a workhorse all night, and deserved his goals.

And at the back, I must say I haven't seen Newcastle defend so well for a long time. Perhaps the mistake by Colo for Agbonlahor's chance aside, it was a near spotless performance from the back, and this was complemented by a hard-working midfield.

Whilst it was disappointing Butt's sensational efforts (!) didn't go in, I felt Barton optimised the team's general performance. Aggressive but fair, tenacious, and always looking for the ball. I couldn't really see a major weak link in the side tonight, and to criticise players using tonight's performances as a basis would be highly pedantic imo.

Overall, great to see Newcastle do what everyone knows they can do - produce a hungry, highly motivated performance and deservedly get the 3 points they so desperately required.

Well done.

:clap: :clap:

Seconded,a fine neutral post.

Quite true, I thought besides Villa's two obvious chances (Agbonlahor and Young, both of whom should have scored) we were the better team.  Yes, they should have at least scored, if not have been leading 2-0 at half time, but we were equal to them in the 1st half and much better in the 2nd, deserved three points based on that display, can't wait for Fulham on Sunday, and that's a very good sign.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh and the ref and linesmen were a disgrace to the profession never mind the game. Inept doesn't do their performance justice. Awful and the FA need to act quickly because the standard of refereeing in our game is appalling.

Oh and the ref and linesmen were a disgrace to the profession never mind the game. Inept doesn't do their performance justice. Awful and the FA need to act quickly because the standard of refereeing in our game is appalling.

To be fair it was a reasonably dirty match. Not saying they did well.

What did they do wrong?

What did they do wrong?

Booking Shola for Laursen running into his elbow, giving fouls against Barton whenever he's made contact in a tackle/held off a player, while being inconsistent on top of that (knee on Barton's face, Laursen's elbow on Shola)

Guest newcastle4life
;D great performance and result from the team as well as a clean sheet well done lads. Hopefully getting the two wins will be the turning point, then we can move away from relagation fears and look to climb up the league next few weeks.

Setanta have now moved onto Stoke Arsenal without talking about our performance

Who the f*** cares about Setanta? f*** them!

Errr, excuse me, you may not want to but I for one want to know what highly repsected footballing pundits such as Stan Collymore have to say!

What did they do wrong?

Booking Shola for Laursen running into his elbow, giving fouls against Barton whenever he's made contact in a tackle/held off a player, while being inconsistent on top of that (knee on Barton's face, Laursen's elbow on Shola)

The booking for Shola was probably there (FIFA directives to book people using their arms as a tool), Barton's yellow was also fair enough.

Bennett is a fussy ref, but everyone knows that.

The first half was good for us. I thought we defended it really well and generally controlled the game. We had more possession than them, played the ball in their half of the pitch and was found wanting only in the final third, which is fine because Villa are a decent team. The second half was even better. Our midfield did us proud today. Jonas, Duff and Barton were excellent. All of them tried to make forward, inventive passes but rarely gave the ball away needlessly, which has been a weak point of ours this season. Enrique deserves a special mention in this area as well as not only did he hold Milner and Young in check (when either of them were on their right), but he tried to make incisive passes to Martins/Shola and a lot of it came off.

Colo was cool as ever and apart from really early on, Carew was in his and Taylor's pocket the whole game. Same applies to Agbonlahor. Both players are faster than Colo but he's always willing to lose a throw-in or a corner rather than rush in for a tackle. It's safe defending and he's a master at that.

Jonas :smitten: I actually thought he was a bit sloppy in the first half and passed it back way too often, but in the second half, he was a different player. He made intelligent runs, linked up well with Duff and Martins, rarely lost the ball and was always looking to attack Villa. Things just happen when he starts running with the ball. I also like the way we overload the left wing with Duff, Jonas and Enrique. It's alway 3 v 2 in those situations and the left hand side was our outlet today.

Martins :smitten: what can you say? The driving force, obviously. When he's on, we're on. The little run he made to get free for the second goal was very instinctive and intelligent, and that's something he needs to do more often.

On the other hand, I thought Ameobi's movement was fucking awful tonight. He had a decent game with regards to troubling their centerbacks but his movement off-the-ball leaves a lot to be desired. There was one attack where he had just given the ball off to Martins, who was now dribbling on our left hand side; instead of trying to get free from his defender and/or making a run towards the near post where he could possibly get to a cross from Martins, he slowly jogs and drifts further and further away from the ball and goal. There was no intent from him at all - it was like he was going through the motions. Anyway, apart from that little gripe (which instantly reminded me that Owen was on the bench), he had a decent game and all the lads should be proud.

Guest thommo78

Joey Barton played exceptionally well tonight and dominated Reo Coker in my eyes...he also has better distriution than he is given credit for..Well done lad..most people are given credit for a bit of fire and fight but because of his past he is being talked about for the wrong reasons.

Best performance of the season so far for me... last 3 homes games reads DWW....thats a great record given the termoil we faced and given that we played AV/Citeh (with 10 men unjustly)/WBA.... I'll take 7points from a possible 9 any day of the week..

Jo Kinnear....fine job doing as well as he could....a good couple of results from the next two days and we might actually start having some hopes for this season instead of a relegation battle...The league is tight this year!!!

Everyone played well tonight, even those who maybe weren't that good with the ball at their feet ran their arses off and that's all you can ask. Was notable the amount of back tracking our lot did tonight (especially Shola, obviously bollocked for being a lazy shit at times against WBA)

Full backs were disciplined, went forward when the time was right, Beye's ball in for Taylor was a beauty, shame he couldn't get anything on it. I thought Butt did the holding role brilliantly tonight, I know he's been shit recently but I don't remember him giving it away all that much tonight and he generally looked quite composed - and what an effort that free kick was! Maybe when we all thought Butt was bad for Guthrie it was in fact Guthrie who was bad for Butt....but time will tell.

Jonas up until his assist had done what Jonas does - pick up the ball and run run run, but hadn't actually created anything - the run for the goal was sublime and the pass made it so Martins couldn't miss. Still think we'll see the best of Jonas away from home when the onus is on the home team to attack and Jonas can actually run into space instead of a wall of defenders.

Duff was Duff...didn't do badly but contributed nothing but hard work. Not a bad thing but would it be too much to ask that our left winger actually supplies a cross into the box at least once a game?

After a shocker opening 20 from Colo where he didn't know whether to stick or twist - he couldn't decide to try and read Carew's flick ons or to actually challenge him he eventually settled down and along with Taylor did very well. Don't remember Taylor doing too much shit tonight, do it week in week out and it'll be happy days.

Shola - what has happened!? Actually tries these days, similar to Heskey in that I don't ever feel confident he'll score but he's working for the team.

Martins - was lively all night, first goal wasn't even the cleanest of hits but was accurate and powerful enough. Second he couldn't miss but well done to him for getting in the position, Martins doesn't get enough tap in goals.

Barton - Nice to have some fight and a midfielder who passes forwards. And is a bit of a naughty chap but that's all part of his game.

Well done boys, just don't lose at Fulham please!

Guest firetotheworks

Ratings (Taking into account Id been at work and only saw it from 50 minutes onwards)

Given 6

Beye 7

Colo 7

Taylor 7

Enrique 9

Duff 8

Barton 8

Butt 7

Jonas 9

Ameobi 8

Martins 9

Villa were disappointing. Showed no desire at all once they'd gone a goal down. I had thought that they were a team that might challenge the top four. No chance of that.  Just think what they might have done had they put that 12m towards a player.

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair it was a reasonably dirty match. Not saying they did well.

It wasn't though. It was a competitive match played at quite a high tempo but it wasn't dirty. He gave them some very dubious free-kicks and what I'd like to know is if he genuinly believed Shola used his elbow which is what he must have done as he carded him and even gesticulated the use of the elbow, why the yellow only and not a red? And when Shola gets an elbow? Nothing! Him and the linesmen struggled to communicate with one another throughout too. For instance the linesman would look to Bennett to make a decision on a throw even though he was right near the play and it was obviously our throw. He also seemed to have it in for Barton who won many good challenges which were given as fouls. The same applied to Shola who was being man handled all night by Laursen and co and yet whenever Shola dished a bit himself a free-kick was awarded to Villa. They got off-sides wrong, all sorts. He is a joke of a referee and how he stille officiates top-flight games I don't know. He instills zero confidence. Martins and Barton were going ape shit with some of his decisions and I don't blame Barton for not shaking his hand.

I hope someone pissed in Milners full time beverage to make the night complete for me.....

Re: the "crap biased" referee - wasn't it Bennet the cockney norf-haytin' git ?

Guest optimistic nit

the reffing was so so. i think most of the cards were the right decision, it was quite a scrappy game, but i thought barton was getting a bit of an unfair time from bennett tbh. he deserved his yellow, but when he was thrown to the floor by gabby and then they got a freekick i was furious.

everyone played very well. villa slighly edged the first half (very slightly) but they are a good team, so i wasn't that dissapointed by it, we played brilliantly second half.

Some Enrique's short and easy passes were a bit sloppy, but he seemed to nail a lot of the more complex ones.

Colo around 30+ was really good for me, some of this world class quality that was talked about is starting to shine through.

Duff did play well, but it somes looks as if he's a headless chicken, like he just doesn't know what to do with the ball when around the box, but he's improving greatly from last season in my eyes.

Jonas and Oba were class, Ameobi improving with every game.