Crowd Size

Doug

Never understood fans boasting/arguing about attendences, but at the same time criticising 'glory hunters' and the like.

Clubs care about attendences because people through the gate equals money in the bank, but I don't get why fans are so hung up about it.

Mainly because some clubs are highly praised for their "loyalty" ie Liverpool & Man U, and the fact they've won on average a trophy a year over the past 25 years or so don't seem to be considered, whilst Newcastle are mocked if they turn up and pilloried if they DON'T, and have won a squelchy ZERO for more than half a century domestically.

I think we've every right to feel hard done to by the rags media and other fans.

Attendances show the following any club has, and to say it's "loyalty" ISN'T linked with a club's success is like saying Obama didn't win the US election because he got more votes, but because he had shinier shoes

Just noticed the crowd at Anfield for the high flying champions league match last night of 42010.

In our relegation battle gate of 44567against Villa despite being the 5th live televised game of our little club on the trot, we still put two and a half thousand more bums on seats than the wonderfully loyal long suffering Anfield die hards.

How do the media spin that one with their just look at the empty seats comments and lowest league crowd for 8 years crap.

Yeah, but Setanta, BBC and the rags won't draw attention to fact.

They like to attack Newcastle. Unfairly, preferably......

Really don't get this argument:

Liverpool are selling out their home allocation, which happens to be less than who go to Newcastle who have a bigger stadium.

Hardly bragging rights, especially as Liverpool give attendances based on people at the game whereas we apparently do it on tickets sold.

And of course a  team at the bottom of the league, SHOULD have a far higher attendance than a team in the Champs League and topping the Prem...

The BBC and the rags should interview you James....they'd LOVE you.

From what I can see, some NUFC fans seem to think it as bragging rights that NUFC are beating Liverpool on attendances, when in fact due to stadium capacities, it is completely irrelevant.

Never understood fans boasting/arguing about attendences, but at the same time criticising 'glory hunters' and the like.

Clubs care about attendences because people through the gate equals money in the bank, but I don't get why fans are so hung up about it.

I for one admitt to being irritated by an away contingent no bigger than a mini bus full, singing "where were you when you were s**t"? etc. Man City fans in particular seem to think they're the best fans in the land. We know the truth about how we've put up with thin and thin for years.

I would advise a bit of caution.

For the most part our CL attendances  back in the day were lower than Liverpools last night.

Ticket prices were the main factor in that imo.

Depends which game you refer to - like for like, top Italian club, same stage ?

Doubt it.

Juventus, Inter Milan at home, both around or under 40k.

I stand corrected.

I was under the impression both were full houses.

Actually mate I was officially wrong!   :lol:  .com states that Juventus at home was 48,370 and Milan at home was 50,108.

I was at both though and would question these figures, there was about 10,000 empty seats at both imo.

no way mate, but at games like psv, kiev etc there was around 40000

I for one admitt to being irritated by an away contingent no bigger than a mini bus full, singing "where were you when you were s**t"? etc. Man City fans in particular seem to think they're the best fans in the land. We know the truth about how we've put up with thin and thin for years.

I just don't understand why having more fans is necessarily better. We complain when people support a team just when they're doing well, but we also complain when they have small crowds.

The thing is, that if the crowd size is not an issue then why do the media keep banging on about our dwindling support empty seats etc.

Liverpools capacity is 45K and they had only 42K and I just thought that was an interesting point as nothing was reported.

The thing is, that if the crowd size is not an issue then why do the media keep banging on about our dwindling support empty seats etc.

Liverpools capacity is 45K and they had only 42K and I just thought that was an interesting point as nothing was reported.

I know it is an issue, I just don't think it should be. At least not among fans anyway.

From what I can see, some NUFC fans seem to think it as bragging rights that NUFC are beating Liverpool on attendances, when in fact due to stadium capacities, it is completely irrelevant.

It's not though, Liverpool's attendance last night was about 3000 under capacity.

Guest kirkpatrick9

There have not been many times when Liverpool percieved they were mediocre over the last 30years, but there was a stage a few year ago, they got 30000 against Portsmouth.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/liverpool/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/12/14/SOCCER_Liverpool.html&TEAMHD=liverpool&DIV=prem&TEAM=LIVERPOOL&RH=Liverpool&PREV_SEASON=2003

Yet we get 45000 in a relegation fight...

There have not been many times when Liverpool percieved they were mediocre over the last 30years, but there was a stage a few year ago, they got 30000 against Portsmouth.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/liverpool/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/12/14/SOCCER_Liverpool.html&TEAMHD=liverpool&DIV=prem&TEAM=LIVERPOOL&RH=Liverpool&PREV_SEASON=2003

Yet we get 45000 in a relegation fight...

35,064 for the league game against Pompey.

Yep I remember that well because we played Liverpool the weekend after that and they were singing "Where were you when you were shite?" and we replied with "Where were you on Wednesday night?".

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I htought this topic was all about our attendances being labelled s****, when Newcastle is probably the largest supported team in the Premiership when the team is bottom.

Why did it start turning into NUFC vs LFC?

Also, just on a side note, I think Leeds got nearly 30,000 the other day, and look where they are.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I htought this topic was all about our attendances being labelled s****, when Newcastle is probably the largest supported team in the Premiership when the team is bottom.

Why did it start turning into NUFC vs LFC?

Also, just on a side note, I think Leeds got nearly 30,000 the other day, and look where they are.

The second sentence of the very first post.  ;)

Normally I wouldn't harp on about how great our fans or attendances are - but I am so sick and tired of Liverpool fans being praised so highly, when all they've been "tested" by is a few years out of the top 3 and a couple without a trophy. If you want to make more of an accurate match you'd have to go back to pre-Shankley.

Yet theres Newcastle fans quite happy to join in the worshipping of them and setting them up as superior in "loyalty".

Its the oldest and truest phrase in football - Its easy to support a winning team. And when they're winning so often, so successful, then I reiterate its hardly like with like.

I'm not saying Liverpool are poor fans. Not at all. Far from it. I'm just not going to tug my forelock either.

I'll support fans who are turning up supporting a side that hasn't given any REASON to keep going back, over one that gets REGULARLY what we'd flood the booking offices for....

I just don't understand why having more fans is necessarily better. We complain when people support a team just when they're doing well, but we also complain when they have small crowds.

Maybe it shouldn't be an issue. Just saying that it bothers me personally when fans of some clubs criticise our attendances. I can't help but feel annoyed by it. It may be an irrational feeling, but there you go, that's just me. Everyone to their own however.

It's a fact though, that no club has 50,000 match-going hardcore supporters. So when you're doing well your attendances will rise, and when you're shit they'll fall... it seems to affect every club exactly the same.

The 'base attendance', the amount of fans you 'normally' have, is either an accident of geography, based on sustained success (meaning you have more glory hunters) or just based on your ground capacity.

And different fans seem to have different capacities to endure shitness, I mean we had to hit the bottom of the league and be in boardroom chaos before our crowds dropped by <10%.

Guest chris1210

All thats basically happened lately is that the fickle 'keeganites' have fucked off thankfully again. No longer will there stupid ramblings be heard on a SSN camera on Strawberry Place.

The same fickle twats that were queueing around the stadium for tickets the night he returned, are the same ones that are notable by their absence lately. Thank fuck is all i say.

All thats basically happened lately is that the fickle 'keeganites' have fucked off thankfully again. No longer will there stupid ramblings be heard on a SSN camera on Strawberry Place.

The same fickle twats that were queueing around the stadium for tickets the night he returned, are the same ones that are notable by their absence lately. Thank fuck is all i say.

I'm still here. I went to games before and I will be going again.

NUFC and LFC aside, in my opinion the "best fans" award, and all that bollocks could never go to anyone who watches premiership football in state of the art stadia. think of people who are in the bottom of league 2, or the ryman league or whatever, who travel up and down the country and watch awful teams in shitholes when its pissing down all day.

There's been some pretty piss poor away contigents at SJP this year. Both Villa and Man City brought pitiful groups, although they will almost certainly claim it was because of a mid week game. Bolton and Blackburn were predictably limited to about 500. I think only Hull have brought up a large set of fans.