FORUM UPDATES: Slow tonight for 15 mins, doing some digging...

Dave

Probably just teething troubles, bound to happen with such a significant change.

Are you seeing unread posts from yesterday in bold or not?  It seems OK with todays but nothing historic which is unread.

Probably just teething troubles, bound to happen with such a significant change.

Are you seeing unread posts from yesterday in bold or not?  It seems OK with todays but nothing historic which is unread.

Rich explained that on the previous page:

It has indeed. In our database which contained 4.7 million tables of data for the forum, 3.3 million of those were taken up by reference points to where EACH user had read EACH thread up until and for every unread thread that each user had, a new record was created.

It was taking up 100mb of space and is apparently a well-known cause of potential slowdowns and errors. We thought people losing their reference points dating back to January 2007 was a small price to pay for the potential increases in performance the changes could bring.

Rich explained that on the previous page:

It has indeed. In our database which contained 4.7 million tables of data for the forum, 3.3 million of those were taken up by reference points to where EACH user had read EACH thread up until and for every unread thread that each user had, a new record was created.

It was taking up 100mb of space and is apparently a well-known cause of potential slowdowns and errors. We thought people losing their reference points dating back to January 2007 was a small price to pay for the potential increases in performance the changes could bring.

Aye, howay Granddad man, keep up.

I've just had a mare getting on here.

Why's it always you? :lol:

What happened this time?

It was just really slow so I closed my browser and it stayed the same, I refreshed a few times and the page loaded OK.

We don't really have any option but to give it a go for a few weeks and see if the problems continue. We're pretty much at the limit of what we can do, given that we're not clued up enough to spot errors in coding or anything like that. If things are still failing we'll contact the web host and see if they can help.

Still post any problems in here like. :thup:

We don't really have any option but to give it a go for a few weeks and see if the problems continue. We're pretty much at the limit of what we can do, given that we're not clued up enough to spot errors in coding or anything like that. If things are still failing we'll contact the web host and see if they can help.

Still post any problems in here like. :thup:

The problems are minor, tomorrow will be a bigger test but the Chelsea game will be a bigger test again.  The lag I've seen is no worse than you can get anywhere on the net.

People should know that if it is actually the new hosting that's causing the problems (we went for the most basic package available due to the limited funds we have, to try and get as many months as possible and because we didn't really know what specification a forum like this would require) then we do have the option to upgrade without much fuss with the same company.

We were just hoping it'd work alright on this one to be honest, but if it doesn't there's the wiggle-room there to improve things.

We'll see how it handles tomorrow and the week ahead and if regular problems persist thereafter I'll get onto the new hosts and ask them to have a look at everything for us and see where we're falling down. I haven't been on much today but when I have it's been working fine.

I take it there's been no internal server errors for anyone yet?

People should know that if it is actually the new hosting that's causing the problems (we went for the most basic package available due to the limited funds we have, to try and get as many months as possible and because we didn't really know what specification a forum like this would require) then we do have the option to upgrade without much fuss with the same company.

We were just hoping it'd work alright on this one to be honest, but if it doesn't there's the wiggle-room there to improve things.

We'll see how it handles tomorrow and the week ahead and if regular problems persist thereafter I'll get onto the new hosts and ask them to have a look at everything for us and see where we're falling down. I haven't been on much today but when I have it's been working fine.

I take it there's been no internal server errors for anyone yet?

The internal errors should be history.  It might be worth checking the logs to see if anything was happening when the minor problems cropped up.  If you're reaching limits then you have a problem as I would expect traffic isn't that high.