When do you think Michael Owen will leave Newcastle United?

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owen never really felt like "our player" to me. It's always been as if we've borrowed him and are due to send him back somewhere soon.

Never seemed quite right seeing him in Black and White stripes. As much as he offers the team, I don't think I'll be too gutted when he leaves. (Personally, I think he'll see out his contract for us.)

The Moody Blues had the right idea - if you've gotta go, go now.

We should have shipped him out and brought in a replacement when he refused to sign a new contract in the close season. That decision just wasn't possible with all the in-fighting behind the scenes.

Guest rebel_yell12

Owen never really felt like "our player" to me. It's always been as if we've borrowed him and are due to send him back somewhere soon.

Never seemed quite right seeing him in Black and White stripes. As much as he offers the team, I don't think I'll be too gutted when he leaves. (Personally, I think he'll see out his contract for us.)

I've heard this same thing from Liverpool fans, and he played for us for seven (mostly full) seasons.  I've always believed it was mostly the "England's Michael Owen" that done it at Liverpool -- we had the lad for about a month it felt before he was being pipped, and then picked, for the senior England squad (and he'd been playing for England at various levels since before he even signed a YTS contract for Liverpool).  Especially after WC '98, Owen has always been more the country's player than his club's.  I don't think that's his fault (he doesn't write the papers, and I don't expect any player to turn their country down) but I think it's why Liverpool fans never really owned him like they do so many others.  That, and Owen hardly wears his heart on his sleeve: he's one of the least effusive players I've seen play the sport.  Even half his goal celebrations look like he's thinking 'right, that job done, moving on' rather than enjoying the emotional high.  I know a lot of fans at Anfield who never felt they could relate to the 'robot' and the 'choir boy'.  The people I know who've met him claim that he's great in person, in small groups or one-on-one -- very jokey, very friendly & charming, etc. -- but he never seems to come across as a "real live boy" in public/interviews.  Too polished or too perfect or something.

That said, I understand the sentiment for Newcastle fans.  He's been out as much as in the squad, and it's hard to connect to any player in a like position.  I know a few ManUtd fans who are feeling that way about Hargreaves, for instance.  The fact that the press seem to sometimes think it's Michael Owen's Newcastle rather than Newcastle's Michael Owen isn't his fault (just like the England stuff), but it can create distance from the fans.

Posted by: bobyule

We should have shipped him out and brought in a replacement when he refused to sign a new contract in the close season. That decision just wasn't possible with all the in-fighting behind the scenes.

How do you know he "refused"?  From what we've heard, he wasn't offered a contract until the day or so before Keegan resigned and the mess all started (and his contract was apparently subsequently withdrawn as the club is sold).  There was no time to replace him after that, if you recall.  If he was in negotiation, and Keegan seemed to think they were close to re-signing him, why would the club replace him (until Keegan was apparently all-but ready to leave and then the club is rumoured to have tried to flog Owen at the last minute).  You can hardly blame a player for not signing the day he's offered the contract because I'd assume he'd like to have his agent and solicitor read the thing before he signs it -- plus the players may have had an inkling of the problems "behind the scenes".  I get the impression Owen was rather ill for a good part of the summer  In a recent interview he said he was in hospital for quite awhile, probably around end of May and start of June.  From what I know of mumps, he wasn't feeling very well or very energetic until 1 July or so.  Which was when we started to hear about contract talks opening, iirc.  None of this adds up to "refused to sign" for me.  A typical Owen tragicomedy of bad luck/timing but nothing intentional. 

That said, I think Owen will want to leave in January if it's still a mess.  The club, unless it can secure a high-quality replacement despite the problems, would be better served to keep him and let him go on a free in the summer.  As today proved, even a bit off-form and not fully fit, Owen scores important goals.  Losing any of the strikers in January would likely mean relegation unless the defence improves vastly.  NUFC needs a fit and on from Owen AND Martins, at least (if not a third), to survive the current style/form.  Getting 3-4 mil for him is not worth risking relegation by pinning all their hopes on one striker, imo. 

Posted by: bobyule

How do you know he "refused"?  From what we've heard, he wasn't offered a contract until the day or so before Keegan resigned and the mess all started (and his contract was apparently subsequently withdrawn as the club is sold).  There was no time to replace him after that, if you recall.  If he was in negotiation, and Keegan seemed to think they were close to re-signing him, why would the club replace him (until Keegan was apparently all-but ready to leave and then the club is rumoured to have tried to flog Owen at the last minute).  You can hardly blame a player for not signing the day he's offered the contract because I'd assume he'd like to have his agent and solicitor read the thing before he signs it -- plus the players may have had an inkling of the problems "behind the scenes".  I get the impression Owen was rather ill for a good part of the summer  In a recent interview he said he was in hospital for quite awhile, probably around end of May and start of June.  From what I know of mumps, he wasn't feeling very well or very energetic until 1 July or so.  Which was when we started to hear about contract talks opening, iirc.  None of this adds up to "refused to sign" for me.  A typical Owen tragicomedy of bad luck/timing but nothing intentional. 

That said, I think Owen will want to leave in January if it's still a mess.  The club, unless it can secure a high-quality replacement despite the problems, would be better served to keep him and let him go on a free in the summer.  As today proved, even a bit off-form and not fully fit, Owen scores important goals.  Losing any of the strikers in January would likely mean relegation unless the defence improves vastly.  NUFC needs a fit and on from Owen AND Martins, at least (if not a third), to survive the current style/form.  Getting 3-4 mil for him is not worth risking relegation by pinning all their hopes on one striker, imo. 

I don't think we know exactly when Owen was offered the contract. The announcement of the offer came only a few days before the end of the transfer window, but that was to refute the idea in the press that we had asked him to take a pay cut. It doesn't mean that the offer came at that time.

I don't particularly blame Owen for not signing. In that situation, with just a year to go, many players will prefer to see out their contract. But I don't think it does the team much good if the captain or senior player is uncommitted. Owen isn't so great that he warrants special consideration, and I'd rather have seen someone come in who really wants to be here.

Guest rebel_yell12

Not this again, Yorkie:weep:  I'm hurt, mate.  Truly hurt.

I've never denied that I'm a fan of Michael Owen (be pointless, wouldn't it?).  I was simply expressing that I understand the sentiment from many Newcastle fans that they have never felt like Owen was "their player".  Heard similar at Anfield for years, even before he left, for the reasons expressed.

And I'd make the same reply about contracts concerning any of the numerous 'almost out of contract' players.  You can't blame a player for not signing contracts that aren't being negotiated or presented.  Doesn't matter if it's Butt or Owen or Viduka (not that I think that one should be extended) or whomever.  There were reasons for the summer delay with Owen that were outside his control, or the club's, imo.  It's a bad situation, not sure who to blame it on though -- if anyone, really.  I'm sorry if my insistence on logic and decent argumentation bothers you.  I'll try to stop.  O0  Edited to add:  I understand your point better now, bobyule.  In many ways, we agree.  Ideally, if the club hadn't been able to settle terms with a player with only one year left over the summer, moving him on would be the best idea.

I do wonder about the status of those other players with only one year left, whom the club also failed to secure over the summer.

I just know you've all missed me terribly as my job has been rather busy of late months.  Probably not going to much improve next semester either.  What joy it is to work in tertiary education.

Guest rebel_yell12

The horses are good.  Selling the one who just bucked off another experienced rider (too difficult to work with on the ranch).  My roommate's mare just had her foal...oh, wait.  Clever.  :shifty:  mackems.gif

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/17/warming-bench-starts-to-test-owen-s-patience-61634-22271919/

Warming bench starts to test Owen’s patience

Nov 17 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

THE first signs of tension appeared in the Newcastle camp under interim manager Joe Kinnear following the 2-2 draw with Wigan Athletic as Michael Owen expressed his irritation at failing to make an instant return to the starting line-up.

Owen flounced out of St James’s Park on Saturday evening in a huff, the club captain refusing to speak to the media after the game as his frustration at spending another game on the substitutes’ bench threatened to boil over.

And with Kinnear also increasingly irritated by his inability to make decisive decisions as United boss because of the continued uncertainty surrounding a possible takeover, it was a difficult day for the Magpies as Titus Bramble’s last-gasp equaliser denied them a much-needed home win after Owen and Obafemi Martins had cancelled out Ryan Taylor’s spectacular strike for the visitors.

Owen’s situation as a Newcastle player is a complicated one for Kinnear, particularly as the player used his programme notes to declare he had been fully fit for a couple of weeks. The club’s record signing will almost certainly leave – either in January or at the end of the season – after failing to sign an extension to a contract which expires in June, but he remains vital to the club’s chances of avoiding the disaster of relegation.

United’s interim manager, though, is adamant he will continue to leave the striker – who has once again been snubbed by England coach Fabio Capello for Wednesday’s friendly against Germany – out if he is not 100% fit.

“It is a difficult decision, he is one of the best players in the world and I am going carefully, carefully with him,” said Kinnear, who described the first-half performance against Wigan as the worst of his short reign. “I could have taken short-term

decisions, but I haven’t. He has got to go slowly, slowly. I could have taken the easy option, put him in the team straight away and pleased everybody two weeks ago. But what if we got beat and he broke down again at the same time, you’d have a field day with me.

“Michael is a big player, but it would have been disrespectful to the strikers we have got who have been scoring goals every week. He needs to be brought back gently. We know what Michael is capable of. No one asked these questions when we beat Aston Villa.

“Michael Owen is the best player at the football club. I have to make these decisions. Which ever decisions I make are never right. I took off Spiderman (Jonás Gutiérrez) and you will have a field day with that. It is a difficult job making decisions isn’t it?”

It will be interesting to see whether Owen has done enough to force his way back into the side against Chelsea next weekend, but Kinnear will have other things on his mind this week. The former Wimbledon boss will meet owner Mike Ashley after that game, where he will be given a clear update on the progress of any takeover bids and discover if he is going to remain as manager beyond next week.

Kinnear said: “I am confident Michael will play an important part for the rest of the campaign. I would like to think so. But I don’t know the situations, you are asking if I will still be here. If I am here he is the last person I want to leave. He is priceless. Simple as that.

“I would like to be in the position to sit down with Michael and talk about a new contract. Of course I would. But I am on the outside, not the inside. The job is difficult enough as it is and most of the stuff going on is out of my reach. Michael is aware of this.

“Things have gone on and hopefully after the Chelsea game I will be better (sic) in the picture. The club is almost sold so I don’t know what future I have.

“If you listen to (Keith) Harris he says there is interest from two parties and he doesn’t expect it to go on longer than another couple of weeks.”

Would Owen be any happier on a top 4 clubs bench? It looks like he wants to be a starter where ever he goes.

Owen's only ever cared about his England career. He'll wait as long as possible, and whether he stays or goes will depend entirely on whether he thinks he'll be starting games.

I can't see him going to a top four club, as he'll be almost guaranteed to be on the bench (if one of them is even interested), unless Capello has told him his England career is over.

I guess Man City would be his ideal move, but I don't think they'll be interested in him, either.

Never really understood this idea that Owen is a 'country player' before a club one. The only way he can get into the England squad is to be playing well and scoring regularly for his club. If you mean that he would move clubs to get a better shot at it, then I suppose that would apply to nearly every international player around.

Never really understood this idea that Owen is a 'country player' before a club one. The only way he can get into the England squad is to be playing well and scoring regularly for his club. If you mean that he would move clubs to get a better shot at it, then I suppose that would apply to nearly every international player around.

I've just always had the impression playing for England was MUCH more important to him than playing for his club. Perhaps I'm just biased.

The only hope we have of keeping him is if a new owner gets in quickly, and appoints Shearer.

He's the only person he "might" stay around for.

So yet again, the whole club is run around the needs and wishes of one player. No thanks.

The whole 'fitness' issue has always been an excuse. Kinnear - quite rightly - feels that the present striking partnership has done well enough to keep their places but then - quite wrongly - because of Owen's status he has to come out with all this rubbish about what a great player he is, but he doesn't want to risk him. If he rated him that highly, he'd have picked him.

This whole thing is bad for the team. If Owen gets picked now, everyone's now going to wonder whether it's because of who he is.

The only hope we have of keeping him is if a new owner gets in quickly, and appoints Shearer.

He's the only person he "might" stay around for.

So yet again, the whole club is run around the needs and wishes of one player. No thanks.

The whole 'fitness' issue has always been an excuse. Kinnear - quite rightly - feels that the present striking partnership has done well enough to keep their places but then - quite wrongly - because of Owen's status he has to come out with all this rubbish about what a great player he is, but he doesn't want to risk him. If he rated him that highly, he'd have picked him.

This whole thing is bad for the team. If Owen gets picked now, everyone's now going to wonder whether it's because of who he is.

Sorry, but what a steaming hot pile of sh*te.

Owen is picked now because he's our best goalscorer and still best striker.

missed some fuckin stinkers in his last two games, no wonder, seeing as he is never actually match fit.

Owen has been the biggest waste of money signing in the clubs history, and that includes the likes of Viana.

And there's why he should play all the time really. He got into those positions more times in 35-40 minutes of football in two subs appearances when we were chasing games, than what Martins & Ameobi found themselves in put together in those 2 matches combined.