When do you think Michael Owen will leave Newcastle United?

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is there any realistic chance that Owen might want to stay? I guess a better question might be: do we even want him to stay at this point?

I don't mind us selling him in January, but only if we bring in another capable striker who can play alongside Martins. If our striking options in the second half of the season are Martins, Ameobi, Smith, Carrol, Viduka, and Xisco, we're in trouble. Heaven knows we can't get goals from our midfielders.

Viduka would be ok if he could stay fit for half a season, but I don't see that.

Guest Stephen927

He is only free to talk to clubs outside of England in January, and given his comments when he left Real Madrid he won't be in a hurry to ply his trade in a foreign country again.

I think he'll keep his cards close to his chest until nearer the end of the season. Depends what happens between now and then as to whether or not he'll sign or leave. A takeover with a few ambitious signings in January and a couple of good results from then onwards then maybe he'd stay.

Also depends on what kind of offers he would get in the summer.

Yep, we'll only be able to keep him if we get a decent manager and serious investers before christmas.

I don't blame if he left in Jan if we hadn't been bought and managed, quite frankly, most of players shouldn't be ashamed to look at their futures right now. We're taking the piss out of them with our current limbo status.........if we aren't sold by december then I fear the worst for us, I really do

Yep, we'll only be able to keep him if we get a decent manager and serious investers before christmas.

I don't blame if he left in Jan if we hadn't been bought and managed, quite frankly, most of players shouldn't be ashamed to look at theiur futures right now. We're taking the piss out of them with our current limbo status.........if we aren't sold by december then I fear the worst for us, I really do

You're right, any player would be well within their rights to look elsewhere at this point. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be anywhere near sold by Christmas.

It'll definitely be in the summer i would have thought. He hasn't proved his fitness enough for any of the big clubs to take a punt on him in January... therefore he probably won't be fussed about leaving just yet, as it'll be the Tottenhams and Citys that are more interested than the big four. So on a personal level he might aswell just sit tight and wait for more options in the summer.

Also, from our point of view, i can see us putting a daft asking price on him in Jan, like £6m or something, and no one will bother. Unless it's January 30th and City have struggled for recruitment; but even then, i dunno if he'd go there.

I hold very slim hopes of him signing a new deal but it's been a nightmare for him, never gonna really work out. He might aswell just go.

I don't think it's that unrealistic to think we might still get £8-10m for him.

I know, I know, he'll only have 6 months left of his contract, but you might just get someone like Villa, City or Everton taking a punt, knowing that one of the big four won't pay that much, and also knowing that they're not going to get a better striker even if he's on a 4-year contract elsewhere for cheaper than that.

I know, I know, he'll only have 6 months left of his contract, but you might just get someone like Villa, City or Everton taking a punt, knowing that one of the big four won't pay that much, and also knowing that they're not going to get a better striker even if he's on a 4-year contract elsewhere for cheaper than that.

You're right, someone like City or Spurs might pay quickly and over the odds, simply to kill off the opposition (like we essentially did three years ago).

But then it becomes a case of whether or not he'd go there. He'd be better off sitting tight and waiting for more options in the summer.

You're right, someone like City or Spurs might pay quickly and over the odds, simply to kill off the opposition (like we essentially did three years ago).

But then it becomes a case of whether or not he'd go there. He'd be better off sitting tight and waiting for more options in the summer.

In a strange way, I'd sooner lose him to one of the big-four in June for nowt, than see him go to one of the "second-tier" clubs for £8m in January.

In a strange way, I'd sooner lose him to one of the big-four in June for nowt, than see him go to one of the "second-tier" clubs for £8m in January.

Absolutely; we've got to think about the short term. By someone like that signing Owen, they'd have improved and we'd have worsened. Which would be bad, naturally.

Agree with Eldiablo though, i think he'll go to Chelsea.

If we get 8-10m for him we should be right up there in the Zaki auction.

When's his loan contract at Wigan up?

Tbh, if we've got £8-10m and we're looking at Wigan, we should be paying for their manager imo. *tin-hat*

If we get 8-10m for him we should be right up there in the Zaki auction.

When's his loan contract at Wigan up?

Tbh, if we've got £8-10m and we're looking at Wigan, we should be paying for their manager imo. *tin-hat*

I think in the summer, his club have said nobody has first refusal and they will favour the highest bidder I think.

If anyone thinks we will get offered £8-10m for Owen in January they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

So you don't think someone like Aston Villa, who have been linked with Kevin Doyle for £10m recently, would take a punt to beat the competition for a player who regardless of how long he has left on his contract, is much much better than players who are going for around £7-8m at the moment?

Guest rebel_yell12

Would like him to stay, but I reckon he'll be off in January if he can get a move.  Seems to be unable to get back into the first team at a club placed 18th under the current manager, despite being nominally "captain" and the fact that both his "competition" played equally badly last week, and with the club the mess it is...he SHOULD leave.  In fact, I think any player who re-signs now would be absolutely mad.

Problem for Newcastle, if they sell in January though is that I'm not sure what reputable player would come to Newcastle United with the state it is in now. 

Gossip I'm hearing is that Kinnear isn't going to fight very hard to keep him as he thinks Owen's a lazy twat. Owen was expecting £180,000 a week, but that prospect vanished with Keegan. (Third-hand account of conversation friend of friend had with a lone-dining Kinnear in Jesmond Dene fish restaurant.)