Newcastle United 2-2 Wigan Athletic 15/11/08 - post-match reaction from page 14

Rich

Typical Geordie way eh?

Blame the manager every time we don't get a result. And we wonder why we're bottom of the pile.

The only mistake JK made was starting Ameobi ahead of Owen, but some of the criticism he gets is ridiculous.

He's lost 2 games in 7, considering the sort of form we were in that's a fair effort. Keegan would have done no better. Want me to point out the record he had as manager the second time around?

Typical Geordie way eh?

Blame the manager every time we don't get a result. And we wonder why we're bottom of the pile.

The only mistake JK made was starting Ameobi ahead of Owen, but some of the criticism he gets is ridiculous.

He's lost 2 games in 7, considering the sort of form we were in that's a fair effort. Keegan would have done no better. Want me to point out the record he had as manager the second time around?

You don't think Keegan would have amassed more than 1 point against Sunderland, Fulham and a ten-man Wigan? Gerraway man.

Typical Geordie way eh?

haha, what a load of toss.

Typical Geordie way eh?

You don't think Keegan would have amassed more than 1 point against Sunderland, Fulham and a ten-man Wigan? Gerraway man.

No, I don't.

That's the plain truth.

Keegan was also guilty of losing winnable games and playing players that shouldn't have played etc.

But since he's the messiah we're not allowed to criticise him, right?

Typical Geordie way eh?

No, I don't.

That's the plain truth.

Keegan was also guilty of losing winnable games and playing players that shouldn't have played etc.

Get to fuck with that fucking attitude man. Sick of reading that sort of shite. Are we not allowed to have a debate about Keegan with that same old line being shovelled?

For what it's worth, i blame Keegan as much as i blame Ashley for the state we're in at the moment. Not that that's of any relevance to this particular discussion; i just feel more comfortable assuring you of that - so we can kick off the argument on an even keel.

Anyhow, Keegan's tenure started absolutely shite... but such is the tenacity and ambition of the man was that he did something risky to change our fortunes. It was risky yet executed with absolute precision. I'm on about the formation change, obviously.

In the space of two games, we went from being 4-4-2, slogging it out, no shape, no determination, no confidence, no nowt. No specific player roles, no corner routines, no set piece routines. No identification in terms of where to cross, when to cross, when wing-backs should push up, when wingers should drop deep, where strikers should be, etc etc.

There was the Liverpool 0-3 at Anfield, then the transition at Birmingham, then the explosion of quality at Spurs. all of a sudden, we've got a dynamic strike-force, a combative and versatile midfield, and wing-backs that could attack and assist.

Keegan started slowly but he had what it took to make a big decision and do it right. He had the motivation aswell, from kick-off n'all - not a half-time "you're all shit, get better".

Keegan knew exactly what he was doing and we would not be down here if he was still manager.

Typical Geordie way eh?

No, I don't.

That's the plain truth.

Get to f*** with that f***ing attitude man. Sick of reading that sort of s****. Are we not allowed to have a debate about Keegan with that same old line being shovelled?

For what it's worth, i blame Keegan as much as i blame Ashley for the state we're in at the moment. Not that that's of any relevance to this particular discussion; i just feel more comfortable assuring you of that - so we can kick off the argument on an even keel.

Anyhow, Keegan's tenure started absolutely s****... but such is the tenacity and ambition of the man was that he did something risky to change our fortunes. It was risky yet executed with absolute precision. I'm on about the formation change, obviously.

In the space of two games, we went from being 4-4-2, slogging it out, no shape, no determination, no confidence, no nowt. No specific player roles, no corner routines, no set piece routines. No identification in terms of where to cross, when to cross, when wing-backs should push up, when wingers should drop deep, where strikers should be, etc etc.

There was the Liverpool 0-3 at Anfield, then the transition at Birmingham, then the explosion of quality at Spurs. all of a sudden, we've got a dynamic strike-force, a combative and versatile midfield, and wing-backs that could attack and assist.

Keegan started slowly but he had what it took to make a big decision and do it right. He had the motivation aswell, from kick-off n'all - not a half-time "you're all s***, get better".

Keegan knew exactly what he was doing and we would not be down here if he was still manager.

Well presumably if he was still manager, the fans wouldn't have protested, the owner wouldn't be selling, and we'd be excited at the best squad we've had for a few good years.

Typical Geordie way eh?

No, I don't.

That's the plain truth.

Get to f*** with that f***ing attitude man. Sick of reading that sort of s****. Are we not allowed to have a debate about Keegan with that same old line being shovelled?

Anyhow, Keegan's tenure started absolutely s****... but such is the tenacity and ambition of the man was that he did something risky to change our fortunes. It was risky yet executed with absolute precision. I'm on about the formation change, obviously.

Keegan started slowly but he had what it took to make a big decision and do it right. He had the motivation aswell, from kick-off n'all - not a half-time "you're all s***, get better".

Well presumably if he was still manager, the fans wouldn't have protested, the owner wouldn't be selling, and we'd be excited at the best squad we've had for a few good years.

Absolutely, mate.

Just going by the 60 minute highlights on Sky -

I thought Bassong looked at home as a Premiership CB, and deserves another chance.

Another good performance by Shola.

Our ball retention is bad, and it makes it difficult for the players to build an attack with confidence. Chief culprit is Martins. He produces some great moments, but bloody hell is he frustrating.

Duff had one of those games when he tries to do too much. He was poor today, but Zoggy ain't the answer.

Just going by the 60 minute highlights on Sky -

I thought Bassong looked at home as a Premiership CB, and deserves another chance.

Another good performance by Shola.

Our ball retention is bad, and it makes it difficult for the players to build an attack with confidence. Chief culprit is Martins. He produces some great moments, but bloody hell is he frustrating.

Duff had one of those games when he tries to do too much. He was poor today, but Zoggy ain't the answer.

4-3-3 or Geremi coming back in on the right and Jonas moving left, then?

Geremi is only useful if Owen's in the team (which he should be one way or another) Geremi is like the opposite of Jonas - Jonas looks impressive and is always involved but has next to no end product. Geremi does fuck all except provide a great cross in every 10 that Owen/Richard Dunne coverts.

Typical Geordie way eh?

No, I don't.

That's the plain truth.

Absolutely, mate.

Probably why Shearer is now one of the only few alternatives for the job.

I mean, I thought Keegan coming back was a mistake, but it lifted everyone's spirits and even when things weren't going his way, people didn't jump onto his back like they are with JK.

He was given time, which managers need.

That's been our problem really, fans are too quick to jump on the managers back, meaning they're sacked or they "resign" and we start the cycle all over again.

We need stability, and the only way we'll get that is if the fans approve of the next manager of the club.

Who, other than Shearer, is able to achieve that?

Duff has no heart

Oh my god, one of the worst critisisms you're ever likely to see. ;D Duff gives his all every single time he steps out on that pitch. He never rests and he is ALL heart. As much as he has lost 90% of the skill he had under Ranieri, he never gives less than 100%.

Got 3 bonus points in the fantasy football today, as voted for by ex-pro's at the game, not motd watchers.