Is Nicky Butt our best attacking midfielder?

TRon

I ask because I'm bemused to constantly see him further up the pitch than Guthrie today, and Barton in the two previous games. It's usually those two taking the ball from the central defenders while Butt is playing in the opposition half. I'm sure these are great tactics but as we keep getting pissed on in central midfield week after week there seems to be a flaw somewhere.

I personally love the tactic employed by Butt when he makes a forward run when the ball is going behind where he was standing when he started the forward run, allowing the opponents AM to float in brilliantly behind the midfield.

Why we didn't bust a bollock to get Digard I won't know.

We did but he chose Middlesbrough. If memory serves, I think Barton's name came up as a reason for not coming to Newcastle.

None of our midfielders are renowned for scoring goals. It's a joke really. Strikers, no pressure but if you don't score no one will.

None of our midfielders are renowned for scoring goals. It's a joke really. Strikers, no pressure but if you don't score no one will.

So true.. just look at the statistic of our midfielders, league appearances (goals) for us:

Butt 96 (5)

Duff 49 (2)

Barton 29 (2) [both of them penalties if I'm not mistaken]

Gutierrez hasn't played that many games for us, but he isn't really a goalscorer  1 in 99 for Velez and 5 in 96 for Mallorca

Then we have Guthrie

0 in 25 for Bolton

0 in 15 for Southampton

0 in 9 for us

Honestly I may get slated for this but if the fans hadn't have turned on him so much, we should have never got rid of Parker.

Fair enough he's not exactly an attacking threat either, but due to Butt's inability to do much than lunge in occasionally and sometimes remember his experience to read the game - Parker would be twice the player in our midfield.

So true.. just look at the statistic of our midfielders, league appearances (goals) for us:

Butt 96 (5)

Duff 49 (2)

Gutierrez hasn't played that many games for us, but he isn't really a goalscorer  1 in 99 for Velez and 5 in 96 for Mallorca

Then we have Guthrie

0 in 25 for Bolton

0 in 15 for Southampton

0 in 9 for us

I'm pretty sure Guthrie scored at least 1 for Bolton tbf

His rocket of a volley should have won us the Wigan game.

Honestly I may get slated for this but if the fans hadn't have turned on him so much, we should have never got rid of Parker.

Fair enough he's not exactly an attacking threat either, but due to Butt's inability to do much than lunge in occasionally and sometimes remember his experience to read the game - Parker would be twice the player in our midfield.

He was shite and the Spammers are turning on him now.

I've got a mate who is a season ticket holder at Upton Park and reckons the audible groans for Scotty's pirouetting are getting louder and louder as the season goes on.

Also seems injury prone nowadays.

He was shite and the Spammers are turning on him now.

I've got a mate who is a season ticket holder at Upton Park and reckons the audible groans for Scotty's pirouetting are getting louder and louder as the season goes on.

Also seems injury prone nowadays.

Parker is just another jack of all trades master of none, the type we seem to get saddled with year in year out. BTW, I wasn't particularly having a go at Butt but for me he's the one who should be sitting in front of the defenders, not Guthrie or Barton. God awful teams like West Brom, Fulham and now Wigan are passing us off the park week in week out and it needs to be sorted.

Butt playing in his proper position would be a start, and if Guthrie isn't capable of getting in the opposition half he should fuck off and we should put Lua Lua in there.

Get this guy in January....

From the BBC "Man City's out-of-favour Brazilian striker Elano is being lined up for a swoop by QPR. (Daily Mirror)"

I'd love to see him in a black and white shirt!

Got to be worth a quick check, see if we can at least get him in on loan till the end of the season.

Butt 96 (5)

Duff 49 (2)

Then we have Guthrie

0 in 25 for Bolton

0 in 15 for Southampton

0 in 9 for us

I'm pretty sure Guthrie scored at least 1 for Bolton tbf

His rocket of a volley should have won us the Wigan game.

Yeah against Fulham in the league cup (the statistic only covers league appearances)