Because we all know better than Kinnear...

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our flanks: bit of a bone of contention at the moment aren't they?

The common opinion seems to be Jonas/N'Zogbia wide if we are to play a 4-4-2, but I see merit in a Geremi/Jonas partnership seeing how Spiderman seems more effective on the left than on the right... but what's to say N'Zogbia couldn't be effective on the right in a similar role?

Just wanted to see what people's ideas are on the whole thing... or are wingers extinct now and we should simply go back to a KK style 4-3-3 seeing how Owen, Martins and Ameobi are all fit with The Duke's return imminent as well?

We can't play 4-3-3 without Barton IMO, so Jonas and N'Zogbia would be my choice.

Butt central, Jonas left of him, Guthrie/Geremi right of him?

I wouldn't want either of those on the right. Not enough legs, as Geremi proved last year.

Geremi did okay last season, like! Guthrie's quicker than both Barton/Geremi, easily.

(For all those voting Jonas/N'Zogbia): If we are going 4-4-2, who sits out? Viduka?

He's an automatic choice for me if he's fit, like.

Kinnear likes to play it safe, understandable considering how bad we were before he came in, how perilous our situation is, and how little he knew/knows about the squad. So, apart from maybe strikers, he will be more inclined to pick players who will play it safe and not make stupid mistakes. Duff keeps the ball well and makes himself available for passes, and he also works hard to close players down. N'Zogbia can beat men more easily, spot a dangerous pass better, more likely to open up space for others, deliver a better cross and score more goals than Duff, but, for a risk-averse manager, he's not as good at solidifying the team.

Kinnear is singling out people he can trust, who can then go and influence other players and building up a rapport this way - using the likes of Duff and Butt, for instance. it's the survival instinct kicking in. I'm not against picking Duff for certain occasions like yesterday, but i'd prefer N'Zogbia or even Geremi on the 'other' flank.

Kinnear likes to play it safe, understandable considering how bad we were before he came in, how perilous our situation is, and how little he knew/knows about the squad. So, apart from maybe strikers, he will be more inclined to pick players who will play it safe and not make stupid mistakes. Duff keeps the ball well and makes himself available for passes, and he also works hard to close players down. N'Zogbia can beat men more easily, spot a dangerous pass better, more likely to open up space for others, deliver a better cross and score more goals than Duff, but, for a risk-averse manager, he's not as good at solidifying the team.

Kinnear is singling out people he can trust, who can then go and influence other players and building up a rapport this way - using the likes of Duff and Butt, for instance. it's the survival instinct kicking in. I'm not against picking Duff for certain occasions like yesterday, but i'd prefer N'Zogbia or even Geremi on the 'other' flank.

:thup:

Quality post that looks a bit deeper than most others. Agree with it all and especially with the Duff/Butt bits. That's the only reason I can see Duff in particular being untouchable, because of his attitude/experience. He's a safe option.

In the 4-3-3 I'd want:

Martins Viduka

Owen

Barton Guthrie Jonas

But it'd never happen under Kinnear.

I'd swap Barton/Jonas over and plonk Butt in for Guthrie, at least for now. I fear you're right about JFK too.

In the 4-3-3 I'd want:

Martins Viduka

Owen

Barton Guthrie Jonas

But it'd never happen under Kinnear.

Yup thats what I was thinking too. Martins, Owen and Viduka are our best players, we can't afford to leave any of them on the bench.

While Barton is out its either Butt or Geremi... think it could still work like, but its gonna be a long while before Viduka is match fit.

Butt had one of his better games against Chelsea, but you can't get away from the fact that our midfield has been second best against some pretty mediocre teams this season, Sunderland, Fulham and West Brom to name a few. Geremi has the quality but he's too static, so I would go for Jonas and Zog on the wings like most here. Duff is the safe option, but he's also one of those who gets dominated because of his powder puff attacking threat.

Voted Zog + Jonas myself ideally.

BUT!!!

Hasn't anyone at NUFC coaching staff noticed the Geremi/Owen cross-finish combination?? I'd like to see Geremi play at home a bit more, and since Shola's being used as the big man, he could float in a few beauties for him I'm sure.

BUT!!!

Hasn't anyone at NUFC coaching staff noticed the Geremi/Owen cross-finish combination?? I'd like to see Geremi play at home a bit more, and since Shola's being used as the big man, he could float in a few beauties for him I'm sure.

The only problem with getting the ball on to the head of Shola is that we rarely win the second ball due to the unpredictability of the 360' that the ball can bounce off at.

BUT!!!

The only problem with getting the ball on to the head of Shola is that we rarely win the second ball due to the unpredictability of the 360' that the ball can bounce off at.

:lol:

I hear ya.....but that's what we have Mickey Owen for

With the piss weak central midfield we have at the minute and JFK's apparent hard on for duff I'd be happy to see Duff and N'Zogbia on either wing. Then Jonas in the centre. Its not spideys best position but I think he gives more going forward than Butt or Guthrie.

Guthrie

Duff                          N'Zog

Jonas

Jonas/N'Zog was my pick though, which is an obvious one on paper. Can see Jonas and Duff's attitudes and application in training pissing all over N'Zogs which is more than likely why he is on the bench.