Kinnear signs contract to the end of the season.

fuhg

I think there's too much negativity in this thread. You would think that Kinnear' side had been getting whipped every other week. Considering the mediocre squad we've got at the minute he's done a decent job. There's been a few shit results like Fulham and the mackems but then getting results at Everton and Chelsea (and even at home to Man City) seemed unlikely beforehand. Yeah its disappointing that the clubs not going to be sold in the short term but on the up side it gives the players a bit of stability.

Lets just support the bloke. At least at the match anyway. :-)

We'll still comfortably finish in at least a lower mid-table position imo, which is pretty much where we've been the last 4-5 years anyway.

I hope you're right.

That comment sums up how bad things are really. To get to the stage where we hope that we do as well as we have done over the past few years is just crazy.

Fuck sake, this wasn't the news I wanted to wake up to.......

As usual, we're the biggest joke in the league, I can't see us getting bought until the summer now, makes me ill.

We won't get relegated but jesus, it may be close this year :(

Some quotes from Kinnear taken from the Shields Gazette;

And one of Kinnear's first tasks will be to attempt to open contract talks with Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi and Steve Harper, all of whom, as it stands, will be able to leave St James's Park next summer on free transfers.

"I spoke to Mike yesterday afternoon, and he's asked me to stay as manager of the club until the end of the season," said Kinnear, whose side take on Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium tomorrow.

"I'm absolutely delighted. We had a good talk, and he made it clear that he's happy for me to keep going, and that there would be money for the three or four new players we believe we need in the transfer market in January.

"On this score, I can tell our fans that we have three or four irons in the fire, and it's just as case of wait and see, and obviously, there are several players contracts still to sort out.

"After speaking to Mike, I went in to see our managing director Derek Llambias and our football secretary Lee Charnley, and we are all keen to get things up and running.

"Funnily enough, while I was talking to our directors yesterday afternoon, all my family were ringing me from London and saying that all the talk down there was that I was going to be the next manager of Charlton Athletic."

Or the players now know they're not playing to impress any would-be replacement and won't try as hard. ;)

Actually I worried about that straight away.

I am fearful of a reaction liek we got when Roeder got his contract.

Hope I am wrong

Money for three or four more players. That from player sales, or what? Or has he changed his mind about that?

Why does everything have to be a fucking riddle?

He's doing it deliberately to wind you up. You, alone.

Money for three or four more players. That from player sales, or what? Or has he changed his mind about that?

Why does everything have to be a fucking riddle?

He's doing it deliberately to wind you up. You, alone.

Oh.

"I'm absolutely delighted. We had a good talk, and he made it clear that he's happy for me to keep going, and that there would be money for the three or four new players we believe we need in the transfer market in January.

"On this score, I can tell our fans that we have three or four irons in the fire, and it's just as case of wait and see, and obviously, there are several players contracts still to sort out.

mackems.gif

mackems.gif

Can't see this happening but, if it did, would fans forgive Ashley if say he spent 20m net in the window?

mackems.gif

Can't see this happening but, if it did, would fans forgive Ashley if say he spent 20m net in the window?

It may help smooth the waters but for some, he'll always be the panto villain as he took Kevin's toys off him.

Why would anyone be happy about Ashley appointing a manager, not backing him with significant funds, then giving those funds to a seriously inferior interim manager instead?

???

I'll be pleased if we attempt to address the quality of the squad but it'll be yet another kick in the bollocks to think the money should have been given to Keegan instead.

Why would anyone be happy about Ashley appointing a manager, not backing him with significant funds, then giving those funds to a seriously inferior interim manager instead?

???

I'll be pleased if we attempt to address the quality of the squad but it'll be yet another kick in the bollocks to think the money should have been given to Keegan instead.

It would be odd. I just wonder (and its just a thought, i'm not syaing this did happen) if Ashley said last May "right Kev, here's £20million for the summer. I know its not a huge amount but lets see what it can get us" and KK had one of his tantrums and said it was insufficient and Ashley thought "right well fuck you then, where's Dennis?"

???

It would be odd. I just wonder (and its just a thought, i'm not syaing this did happen) if Ashley said last May "right Kev, here's £20million for the summer. I know its not a huge amount but lets see what it can get us" and KK had one of his tantrums and said it was insufficient and Ashley thought "right well fuck you then, where's Dennis?"

Then both parties would be fucking idiotic. ;)

The problem isn't Kinnear, who has done a decent job in the circumstances, and who seems to have the support of the players. The real problem is the underlying instability caused by Ashley's decision to sell, in order to quell the uproar on the streets. Nobody's position is really secure and long-term planning is always going to be difficult until that is sorted.