80% chance of keeping Michael Owen?

Dave

This issue really gets on my tits. I long for the day when this club is run along sensible, professional lines.

Player approaches the last year of his contract, he's offered a new one, he doesn't sign, you sell him. I don't care who it is, that's the way to run things. Instead, we make him the captain.

Can you imagine Ferguson or Wenger allowing one player to string us along like this?

Owen may just be the difference between staying up and going down. In this case i'd rather keep him for the remainder of the season and watch him leave for free than sell him for £8m - £10m in January, money we may not be able to use and which doesnt buy that much these days anyway. Pointless comparison with arsenal and man utd, if we were as strong as them we'd be able to sell Owen too, but we aren't. And i seem to remember Arsenal being strung along by Flamini in his last year of contract, keeping him on to the end and letting him go for free rather than selling months before. iirc a similar thing happened with Edu.

Guest Darth Toon

I think he'll stay this window to try help keep us up, but won't be signing a new contract and be off in the summer, unless something dramatic happens involving a foreign billionaire and/or Alan Shearer.

This issue really gets on my tits. I long for the day when this club is run along sensible, professional lines.

Player approaches the last year of his contract, he's offered a new one, he doesn't sign, you sell him. I don't care who it is, that's the way to run things. Instead, we make him the captain.

Can you imagine Ferguson or Wenger allowing one player to string us along like this?

You mean like Flamini?

You mean like Flamini?

Point taken, if a player decides to see out his contract after lining up the club of his choice, there's not a lot a manager can do.

What annoys me though about the Owen situation is the fuss that surrounds it. There's pressure on the Board to offer an inflated contract to a player who is already over-paid. Giving him the captaincy seemed more of an attempt to encourage commitment on Owen's part, rather than an acknowledgment of it. We seem to be acting like Owen not signing would be a disaster, which is a bad message and a distraction to the squad as a whole.

We've already made the mistake of throwing money at a reluctant player in order to get him to sign, all on the false reasoning that he'd transform the fortunes of the side. Let's not repeat the error.

For me, having someone like Owen in your side, apart fromm the goals he brings, is that he can help you sell the club to a potential new signing. I think the club is big enough to encourage the youngter lesser known type signing but if we are trying to sign older, more experienced and to an extent foreign players, having someone like Owen in your side is a good selling point.

(or used to be before he got dropped like a stone by Capello)

I still rate Owen, I like him as a player, but he has to understand his own situation.  Who is he going to sign for if he doesn't sign for us?  Not the top 4, who all have better and probably don't want him on anything like his current wage deal.  Villa, who won't pay his wages and might not need him either?  Spurs, who might not pay his wages either and are no better off than we are?  Everton, I doubt it?  Wigan?  Abroad, away from the horsies? 

Owen needs to start thinking realistically about his own career.  He should have an interest in staying and helping this club to improve. 

He won't go abroad. I think he's said that he won't do it again. Everton is a good shout and is probably the likeliest place for him if he sees out his contract. Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd have no use for him. Rafa sold him and he's become worse so I don't see Liverpool signing him either. Everton, because he was a fan as a kid and he can move closer to his home.

Let's see. We still have a chance of keeping him if we can end up in the top 10.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Mention of Everton made me wonder if they would be interested as they have lost Yakubu and Saha I believe through injury. Maybe a risk with another crock but someone mentioned that Everton were Owen's childhood team (not sure myself) and wonder if he would even take a pay cut to play for "his team".

Even if Everton were interested in replacing Yakubu or Saha and could afford his wages, I just don't think Owen gains a lot by playing for Everton instead of Newcastle.  It isn't automatically going to get him back in the England picture or Champions League, he certainly won't get more money (or anything like it) and he would burn his bridges with Liverpool.

To be honest, he hardly needs the money anyway.  He'd be better off staying put and showing a little leadership in the squad.  If he feels frustrated with the lack of quality around him (as he should), if he wants to get back in the England team (as he should), he should bloody well sign a new contract and make it clear that he expects his manager and his owner to match his own ambition. 

He should take a pay cut.  A gesture to the management and the supporters.  It would be a great PR move for him, and it would give him leverage to demand changes at the club (like a captain should).  If he wants to stay, he should be angry with what has been going at the club, and he shouldn't be afraid to speak up.  I'd respect him more if he did. 

Owen may just be the difference between staying up and going down. In this case i'd rather keep him for the remainder of the season and watch him leave for free than sell him for £8m - £10m in January, money we may not be able to use and which doesnt buy that much these days anyway. Pointless comparison with arsenal and man utd, if we were as strong as them we'd be able to sell Owen too, but we aren't. And i seem to remember Arsenal being strung along by Flamini in his last year of contract, keeping him on to the end and letting him go for free rather than selling months before. iirc a similar thing happened with Edu.

Summed up perfectly.

The financial fall-out as a result of going down, combined with the task of getting back up, by far outweighs the gains made for the balance sheets ie. offloading his weekly wage package, and a couple of mill via a knockdown transfer fee.

What he gets from Everton is stability, a genuine chance at Euro Cup regularly, a professional setup, a well regarded manager and less demanding fans. What he gets from Newcastle is I spose the chance to become a club legend, but a whole boatload of uncertainty and instability.

I hope he stays but being honest, he must be seriously thinking about Everton. If he moved during the next window he'd have a real opportunity to cement a place there before Saha and Yakubu come back. If Joe thinks he won't be sold from under his nose the minute a good offer comes in, he is in fairyland.

Owen is a difference maker out on the pitch. With his box-instincts he is able to drag out an unlikely result, *against the run of play. *note his return while playing under Souness.

Owen at Everton: a top 6 spot just about nailed on imo. They should break away from Pompey and the like.

Us without Owen: there will be plenty of takers that we'll be relegated....... from pundits, bookies and punters.

Owen is a difference maker out on the pitch. With his box-instincts he is able to drag out an unlikely result, *against the run of play. *note his return while playing under Souness.

Owen at Everton: a top 6 spot just about nailed on imo. They should break away from Pompey and the like.

Us without Owen: there will be plenty of takers that we'll be relegated....... from pundits, bookies and punters.

If V-bomber stays fit he'll plug away enough goals that we'll comfortably avoid the drop, even without Owen. If the two of them aren't available though, its a bit of a worry.

If V-bomber stays fit he'll plug away enough goals that we'll comfortably avoid the drop, even without Owen. If the two of them aren't available though, its a bit of a worry.

But... but... we have Xisco.

These days Owen is only as useful as his midfield - Geremi is the only one in our team that can cater for Owen's needs in a 4-4-2, and it's unlikely Geremi will get much of a look in.

Still I'd settle for 6 taps in like the one against Wigan if necessary.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42835000/jpg/_42835449_swingometer_bbc_203.jpg

"the geordies aren't out of it yet"

thats me playing with my RELO-ometer, whats it doing in this thread?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42835000/jpg/_42835449_swingometer_bbc_203.jpg

"the geordies aren't out of it yet"

thats me playing with my RELO-ometer, whats it doing in this thread?

Bollocks  :angry:

:-[

No he won't .