Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

I hope the club give him a new contract in the Summer, not just because he'll only have 2 years left on his current deal but because he deserves one.

I bet he's on around £10,000 at the moment.

Have we not made that mistake before though with young players losing form soon afterwards?

Like who?

Dyer and N'Zogbia both showed more promise before their pay hike than they did afterwards. My personal opinion is that you've got to be of legendary quality to be getting more than £10k at 21, you need to keep the players grounded and focused on what happens on the pitch.

By all means offer Bassong an improved win bonus mind...

he did mess up a bit just before Huddlestone dived mind, a better player might have exploited that and scored. i'd say the only 'flaws' ive noticed are his touch and his balance, but so far they havent proved to be problematic. they might become so in the future but it seems he has enough in his locker to compensate.

He was all over at the back today and I mean that in the best posible way, he was excellent although I don't know how they scored or who was to blame for that as they got from a Shola nightmare to a goal in no time.

I hope the club give him a new contract in the Summer, not just because he'll only have 2 years left on his current deal but because he deserves one.

I bet he's on around £10,000 at the moment.

Have we not made that mistake before though with young players losing form soon afterwards?

Like who?

Dyer and N'Zogbia both showed more promise before their pay hike than they did afterwards. My personal opinion is that you've got to be of legendary quality to be getting more than £10k at 21, you need to keep the players grounded and focused on what happens on the pitch.

By all means offer Bassong an improved win bonus mind...

Dyer got injured rather than losing his form.

What contract of N'Zogbias btw as he's been poor since Duff came in, he had a new contract a year after that.

What a great signing, more vindication for the scouting sytems, superb find by Wise and Vetere, long may it continue. ;)

I know you're properly looking for a bite on that one. So I won't post what you wanted people like myself to post.

How's he wrong though, in all honesty? :undecided:

Read below.

MOTD pointed out also that he would have been to blame if Campbell hadn't airheaded the ball at the end, but all horses for courses.

MOTD is horse shit, it's too easy to pick up on one or two things during 90 minutes and forget about the other 80 something good minutes, the best footballers in the world make mistakes so a kid is going to do the same.

MOTD pointed out also that he would have been to blame if Campbell hadn't airheaded the ball at the end, but all horses for courses.

MOTD is horse shit, it's too easy to pick up on one or two things during 90 minutes and forget about the other 80 something good minutes, the best footballers in the world make mistakes so a kid is going to do the same.

Nile Ranger doesn't. [/Half the nimrods on the forum]

Guest The German

MOTD is horse s***, it's too easy to pick up on one or two things during 90 minutes and forget about the other 80 something good minutes, the best footballers in the world make mistakes so a kid is going to do the same.

Agree! Legendary said!

MOTD is horse s***, it's too easy to pick up on one or two things during 90 minutes and forget about the other 80 something good minutes, the best footballers in the world make mistakes so a kid is going to do the same.

i learned that about motd under chinny hill. you just learning now?  how old are you ?

What a great signing, more vindication for the scouting sytems, superb find by Wise and Vetere, long may it continue. ;)

I know you're properly looking for a bite on that one. So I won't post what you wanted people like myself to post.

:lol: Was it the wink that gave it away?!

This arguments been done to death.  I'm not a smug person by nature, but chirst I'm feeling vindicated in my defence of the system.

Actually, I'll respond to this one. Scouts going out and recommending a player, then having him over for a trial and the manager deciding that he wants to keep him isn't a new thing, or it wasn't invented by Mike Ashley's wonderful system, despite what people would have you believe.

So what if getting a player on trial isnt a viable option? To be fair, Ashley is the one who brought it to the club, something we've been begging for for many years, all I'm saying, so that the thread doesnt get detracted too much is that the sytem worked here. Theres no argument here. We should let them get on with it, quite frankly i couldnt give a fuck if he club keeps making a profit every window as long as we carry on builiiding a squad like we;re doing at the moment. I cant remeber the last time we signed a youngish player with no major repuatition who have turned out to be as good as Bassong, Guthrie or Jonas, these are the players that Arsenal have been finding for years, how is that not a fantastic thing for the club?

This arguments been done to death.  I'm not a smug person by nature, but chirst I'm feeling vindicated in my defence of the system.

Actually, I'll respond to this one. Scouts going out and recommending a player, then having him over for a trial and the manager deciding that he wants to keep him isn't a new thing, or it wasn't invented by Mike Ashley's wonderful system, despite what people would have you believe.

So what if getting a player on trial isnt a viable option? To be fair, Ashley is the one who brought it to the club, something we've been begging for for many years, all I'm saying, so that the thread doesnt get detracted too much is that the sytem worked here. Theres no argument here. We should let them get on with it, quite frankly i couldnt give a fuck if he club keeps making a profit every window as long as we carry on builiiding a squad like we;re doing at the moment. I cant remeber the last time we signed a youngish player with no major repuatition who have turned out to be as good as Bassong, Guthrie or Jonas, these are the players that Arsenal have been finding for years, how is that not a fantastic thing for the club?

Did I ever say it wasn't a good thing for the club?

Did I ever say it wasn't a good thing for the club?

It was a rhetorical question.

I agree, like I said, horses for courses.

Its fine saying that but if we to lose 1-0 due to a player's mistake,especially if it happens more than once,generally you forget his good work earlier.Bassong is a great talent imo though and could turn into a real gem.

Guest firetotheworks

This boy can defend.

Can't play cross field long balls like.

I know, Bramble was good at that. Shame we had to replace him with this clown.

Guest optimistic nit

but if its as simple as you claim how has our last 5 years before this system been a shower of shite. you need to invite the right players to trial in the first place.