Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Stephen927

Shame that it took Steven Taylor getting an injury to have a look at what Coloccini and Bassong could do as a duo.

Been very good so far.

dont think we will see much more of Carapa,

looks like we could defend ourselves into the championship tho,

There is something to that, although we needed to halt the goals against, and a good defence leads to midfield and forwards having more confidence going forward, not looking over their shoulders. 3 games without defeat, but only giving us 3 points. We need some victories. Only the makems are losing more ground.

Having finally played in his proper position more and more seeming buy of the summer.

Another tick for the Wise/Jiminez scouting system then :thup:

I thought Vetere was the scout?

and it was Keegan that ran the rule over him during a trial period. unless Wise and Jiminez took training those days. Basson's a good example of the set-up working well, scouts finding players and the manager having final say. pity that wasn't maintained.

Was very good yesterday, extra credit for having to cope with Enrique's continuous errors too.

Having finally played in his proper position more and more seeming buy of the summer.

and it was Keegan that ran the rule over him during a trial period. unless Wise and Jiminez took training those days. Basson's a good example of the set-up working well, scouts finding players and the manager having final say. pity that wasn't maintained.

Was very good yesterday, extra credit for having to cope with Enrique's continuous errors too.

So what exactly is wise getting the blame for on here? :lol:

Only the ones that don't work out? :lol:

There's plenty of threads out there in which your curiosity can be satisfied if you want to rehash old arguments, probably a better bet than ruining this one.

Two away games two clean sheets, its nice to be able to defend and Bassong is the difference, if he gets dropped for Taylor then I just do not understand football at all.

Seems to me that Bassong is a lot more composed than Taylor and not prone to lapses in concentration but its early days yet but i am happy with the back 4 atm but Enrique has to raise his game .

There's plenty of threads out there in which your curiosity can be satisfied if you want to rehash old arguments, probably a better bet than ruining this one.

I did only compliment the set up on identifying him though, it was others who wanted to take the credit away from them :thup:

My initial comment was on topic & valid

Guest The Wise Guy

In my opinion, Wise is just another innocent victim of the entire saga with Ashley being the real and only mastermind.

You is him innit

I am only supporting the innocent.

Bassong has looked very, very good at centreback. Hope he continues there, seems to the foundations of an excellent partnership. However, as has been said, I can see him being shunted to LB with enrique out to accommodate Taylor.

Taylor should go to left back instead of Bassong, if anyone else has to go there.

I was just thinking that actually. He's played a few games there and done ok. Also with the inevitable aerial bombardment we'll be under from Stoke next week, the added height could do us some good. Unfortunately I don't think any of our coaches were here when Taylor played left-back, so I can see Bassong being moved across and Taylor in the centre. :(

As we are playing Stoke next game, i fully expect Taylor to come back in and Bassong moved to left back and think thats the right back 4 for next weeks game tbh. 

i would then revert back to the back 4 of the last 2 games, injuries permitting for the pompey and spurs games.

As we are playing Stoke next game, i fully expect Taylor to come back in and Bassong moved to left back and think thats the right back 4 for next weeks game tbh. 

i would then revert back to the back 4 of the last 2 games, injuries permitting for the pompey and spurs games.

I'd rather they were allowed to work together and settle as a back 4.

havent seen any of the game, was away all weekend but the fact that we've managed 2 away clean sheets in a row speaks volumes tbh.

credit to Kinnear for putting Taylor on the bench where he belongs, Keegan wouldn't, at Faye's expense.

Bassong really looks like a quality defender and a great partner for the flawed genius Coloccini, especially for his age.

Taylor should go to left back instead of Bassong, if anyone else has to go there.

I was just thinking that actually. He's played a few games there and done ok. Also with the inevitable aerial bombardment we'll be under from Stoke next week, the added height could do us some good. Unfortunately I don't think any of our coaches were here when Taylor played left-back, so I can see Bassong being moved across and Taylor in the centre. :(

Speaking of the arial bombardment from Stoke... I'm sure Le Tiss said Delap picked up an injury yesterday? Would be great news for us if true.

Guest optimistic nit

Speaking of the arial bombardment from Stoke... I'm sure Le Tiss said Delap picked up an injury yesterday? Would be great news for us if true.

i think he continued playing.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/01/bassong-s-displays-help-spirit-in-united-camp-61634-22375005/

Bassong's displays help spirit in United camp

Dec 1 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

THE speed of Sebastien Bassong’s progress from peripheral squad player to key member of the team has surprised the Newcastle management, says Chris Hughton.

With Joe Kinnear leaving the Riverside after the game for a pressing engagement, his deputy stood in at the post-match Press conference – meaning there was no explanation from the Newcastle boss of his decision to substitute Obafemi Martins rather than the largely ineffectual Michael Owen.

And Hughton, who can take equal credit for the defensive improvement which has seen Newcastle keep back-to-back clean sheets, chose to emphasise the positives as United earned a point in their fight against the drop. Chief among those was the performance of Bassong, the unheralded £300,000 summer signing who improves his reputation every time he plays.

Hughton said: “Every week we look a bit more resilient, a bit more solid and a bit more confident. That’s what we’ve had in the last couple of games.

“Sebastien has come off the back of two very good performances – he played well again. We brought him in in the summer and he’s a very good centre-half who can play left-back.

“When he came in we felt he was just underneath what we already had. We needed to lift the quality of what we had, but his progress has been a lot quicker than what we thought. You could say he’s surprised us. There can be a risk throwing a young player into the kind of environment we’ve been faced with, but Sebastien has thrived. It’s a welcome surprise.

“With any young player, particularly when we’ve had periods when things haven’t done well, there’s trepidation around the place – are they going to do well, are they experienced and confident enough? But the reality is that you only know when you put them in. He has certainly risen to the challenge.”

In a game short on goalmouth incident, the reaction of Martins to his late substitution emerged as one of the talking points. Martins was upset at being taken off – justifiably given Owen’s marginal contribution – but hurling his wristband to the floor and storming down the tunnel with scant acknowledgement of Kinnear suggested discontent in the camp.

“Oba was okay after the game. You want the players to be disappointed at coming off,” Hughton said. “What we have is that little bit more competition for places that we’ve been striving for.

“Will he be punished? Any issues that way are always dealt with in-house.”

Hughton insisted he is not worried about the form of Owen, who was quiet throughout. We know Michael Owen’s qualities. We’re not worried at all about his form.

“He’s part of a team effort and, by our standards, we are on a good run. The most important thing coming into this game was to keep a clean sheet.”