Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest nufc1892

Can someone answer me the following question.

Who signed Bassong?

Keegan or Wise?

Or its something from inside the club and we'll never know who really signed him.

I cant remember if Lambias said something about Wise and  Bassong!

Anyone

Can someone answer me the following question.

Who signed Bassong?

Keegan or Wise?

Or its something from inside the club and we'll never know who really signed him.

I cant remember if Lambias said something about Wise and  Bassong!

Anyone

Good question. If Wise did make the signings pre-season then imo he did a fairly good job...

Guest toonlass

He played in the pre-season friendlies at Hartlepool and Doncaster. I think Keegan signed him, but am not willing to stake my kids on it.

Guest firetotheworks

Llambias has said he was a Wise signing, but who knows. It could be propaganda. It wasn't Keegan though, he watched him on trial before giving the OK.

Guest firetotheworks

Who gives a damn who signed him. Newcastle United signed him and he's worked out very well. I couldn't give a rat's arse which individual staff member brought him here.

Wew, calm down man, someone wanted to know the answer.

Guest nufc1892

Who gives a damn who signed him. Newcastle United signed him and he's worked out very well. I couldn't give a rat's arse which individual staff member brought him here.

its important because if it was Wise who recommended it to Keegan then fair play to Wise he did very good job,bringing this young talented player for minimum fee.

if he can bring every season one player like this,alongside his tracking of young talents(from which btw Vuckic and Ranger loooks very promising)and if he can work together with our manager i'll be pretty happy with Wise's role at the club.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If it was Wise who scouted Bassong and brought him to the club he has more than paid for his position in the Directores suite. On a reported 1m a year, the value of Bassong come the end of the year will pay for Wises position for the next 10 years at least.

If it was Wise who scouted Bassong and brought him to the club he has more than paid for his position in the Directores suite. On a reported 1m a year, the value of Bassong come the end of the year will pay for Wises position for the next 10 years at least.

:lol:

That's ok then. Dennis can now sit back as he's done his work for the next 10 years.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/27/united-ace-sebastien-bassong-s-call-to-toon-72703-23026299/

Bassong, who was again man of the match in the 0-0 draw with Everton last weekend, told the Chronicle: “I heard that the lack of talking was a problem before I came.

“We need some leaders. Habib Beye is one of the biggest leaders in the team and he is out. Michael Owen is coming back too so the more we have the better we will be. I try to be a leader.

“It is important to talk and the manager asks me to do it. Even if they do not want me to talk and I was not obliged to talk, I would still talk.

“I talk too much really, but if it helps the team then surely it is a good thing.”

Sebastien Bassong. Great player and all-around fucking genius. :thup:

You can tell on the pitch. He's always having a word or directing his colleagues etc... it's very important as a CB, you can see everything going on from the back.

... brilliant man :D

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/27/united-ace-sebastien-bassong-s-call-to-toon-72703-23026299/

Bassong, who was again man of the match in the 0-0 draw with Everton last weekend, told the Chronicle: I heard that the lack of talking was a problem before I came.

We need some leaders. Habib Beye is one of the biggest leaders in the team and he is out. Michael Owen is coming back too so the more we have the better we will be. I try to be a leader.

It is important to talk and the manager asks me to do it. Even if they do not want me to talk and I was not obliged to talk, I would still talk.

I talk too much really, but if it helps the team then surely it is a good thing.

Sebastien Bassong. Great player and all-around f***ing genius. :thup:

I am in love with him.....

Beye should be our Captain next season with Vice Captain Seba....

He showed a great attitude and desire since day one. I remember being impressed with his "can't wait to play for Newcastle" approach even when we were looking at him with a possibility to sign him. When Beye comes back into the side the mean machine back four will be back to full strength  :thup:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3726188/Sebastien-Bassong-is-Newcastles-rock.html

Bassong is Newcastles Rock

Dennis Wise and Kevin Keegan might have had their differences of opinion at Newcastle United, but they found themselves in agreement on Sebastien Bassong. Bassong, in Keegan's words, was signed as "one for the future", but the defender has turned out to be very much for the present.

He lines up against Portsmouth at Fratton Park this afternoon as Newcastle's man of the moment, having outshone even Michael Owen in recent games.

Bassong – a product of the famous Clairefontaine football academy in France which also counts Thierry Henry and Nicolas Anelka among its graduates – arrived unheralded on a trial from Metz in July, and was quickly pitched into a pre-season friendly away to Doncaster Rovers by then-manager Keegan.

In the Keepmoat Stadium stands that sunny afternoon was Wise, United's executive director (football), whose involvement in transfer dealings ultimately led to Keegan's departure in September. Both Wise and Keegan liked what they saw, with Bassong – an elegant and unhurried centre half – having strolled through his low key introduction to English football.

So did the visiting fans, not that they knew anything about the man wearing the No 46 jersey. The PA announcer had chosen not to read either line-up, as Doncaster were fielding three triallists of their own, and the club were intent on keeping their identities secret.

"If 46 scores, we'll be on the pitch", was one of many songs sung by those in the away end as their team slipped to a 1-0 defeat. Wise, meanwhile, slipped out early, having seen enough from the 22-year-old to convince him the club had found a player capable of breaking into its much-maligned defence.

The chants from the 2,000 travelling Geordies might have been largely lost on him during the game, but Paris-born Bassong – who has since been given the more modest No 12 squad number – was quickly told of his new-found cult status in the dressing room after the game.

"When I played at Doncaster, I didn't hear the songs, but I was happy to hear what the fans were singing after the match," said Bassong. "The fans have been very good to me, and it was a dream for me to come to England and play for them in the Premier League.

Since then Bassong – whose city centre apartment affords him a view of the iconic Tyne Bridge – has gone from cult hero to mainstream Mr Reliable at St James' Park.

However, he had to wait for his chance in the Premier League in his preferred central defensive position, having initially filled at full-back, but since getting that opportunity last month, Bassong has not looked back, putting in two imperious displays away to Middlesbrough and Chelsea.

Bassong has helped Joe Kinnear's side to two clean sheets in those two fixtures, but today he is up against Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe who have shared 16 club goals between them this season. If Bassong can prove himself up to the job today he will be afforded a Merry Christmas from Newcastle's long-suffering support and he may yet prove to be one Wise legacy that everyone can appreciate.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3726188/Sebastien-Bassong-is-Newcastles-rock.html

Bassong is Newcastles Rock

Dennis Wise and Kevin Keegan might have had their differences of opinion at Newcastle United, but they found themselves in agreement on Sebastien Bassong. Bassong, in Keegan's words, was signed as "one for the future", but the defender has turned out to be very much for the present.

He lines up against Portsmouth at Fratton Park this afternoon as Newcastle's man of the moment, having outshone even Michael Owen in recent games.

Bassong a product of the famous Clairefontaine football academy in France which also counts Thierry Henry and Nicolas Anelka among its graduates arrived unheralded on a trial from Metz in July, and was quickly pitched into a pre-season friendly away to Doncaster Rovers by then-manager Keegan.

In the Keepmoat Stadium stands that sunny afternoon was Wise, United's executive director (football), whose involvement in transfer dealings ultimately led to Keegan's departure in September. Both Wise and Keegan liked what they saw, with Bassong an elegant and unhurried centre half having strolled through his low key introduction to English football.

So did the visiting fans, not that they knew anything about the man wearing the No 46 jersey. The PA announcer had chosen not to read either line-up, as Doncaster were fielding three triallists of their own, and the club were intent on keeping their identities secret.

"If 46 scores, we'll be on the pitch", was one of many songs sung by those in the away end as their team slipped to a 1-0 defeat. Wise, meanwhile, slipped out early, having seen enough from the 22-year-old to convince him the club had found a player capable of breaking into its much-maligned defence.

The chants from the 2,000 travelling Geordies might have been largely lost on him during the game, but Paris-born Bassong who has since been given the more modest No 12 squad number was quickly told of his new-found cult status in the dressing room after the game.

"When I played at Doncaster, I didn't hear the songs, but I was happy to hear what the fans were singing after the match," said Bassong. "The fans have been very good to me, and it was a dream for me to come to England and play for them in the Premier League.

Since then Bassong whose city centre apartment affords him a view of the iconic Tyne Bridge has gone from cult hero to mainstream Mr Reliable at St James' Park.

However, he had to wait for his chance in the Premier League in his preferred central defensive position, having initially filled at full-back, but since getting that opportunity last month, Bassong has not looked back, putting in two imperious displays away to Middlesbrough and Chelsea.

Bassong has helped Joe Kinnear's side to two clean sheets in those two fixtures, but today he is up against Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe who have shared 16 club goals between them this season. If Bassong can prove himself up to the job today he will be afforded a Merry Christmas from Newcastle's long-suffering support and he may yet prove to be one Wise legacy that everyone can appreciate.

This article was published in December

Guest Heneage

Bassong prefectly represents the way we should operate as a club. The likes of Owen perfectly represent the opposite

Being fair mate, its easier said than done. Bassong was a real find. Its not easy to find players with potential like his for so cheap unless you are willing to raid relegated sides. While I do however agree in principal trophy signings like Owen should be stopped and we should go for a younger approach.

Guest Stephen927

Bassong prefectly represents the way we should operate as a club. The likes of Owen perfectly represent the opposite

The key is finding a balance between the big name signings on big bucks, and the cheaper signings.

Being fair mate, its easier said than done. Bassong was a real find. Its not easy to find players with potential like his for so cheap unless you are willing to raid relegated sides. While I do however agree in principal trophy signings like Owen should be stopped and we should go for a younger approach.

The term trophy signing is such a cliché, especially when it comes to someone like Owen. Although at the time I would have rather had Anelka.

The term trophy signing is such a cliché, especially when it comes to someone like Owen. Although at the time I would have rather had Anelka.

I wanted us to go for Yakubu, would have been laughed off the forum at the time though. Some probably still would laugh at that suggestion.