Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

He's been doing that sort of thing all year. A lot of Seb's errors yesterday came from Stevie Taylor, he left his man about 100 times in the first half and what was he doing for their goal? bollock head defender and Bassong looks really nervy when he plays with him.

as you say ,bassong,even though he's been our best player this season by quite a long way,he's done that sort of thing a few times. a few very clumsy pulls in the box aswell which he's been very lucky to get away with.

How was the red card justified if the ball was going to the keeper?

Another ludicrous misunderstanding (from the f***ing ref this time) of the last man/clear goalscoring opportunity rule iyam.

The fact he was "last man" is 100% irrelevant because that term is not in the rules. It was not a goalscoring opportunity and therefore not a red card.

I agree. It's one of those "video game" reds. Where technically he is the last man but you'd hope the ref could use his brain!!! That ball was just lobbed towards our end and was either going to die away in the corner or see Harper collect it.

Howay though, you're pushing it a bit bringing down a player when you are the last man, regardless of where the ball is.

Very few refs take the time to judge the direction of where the ball was heading and at what speed etc. etc., he'd have been very lucky if he got a yellow and if it was the other way round, we'd have been mightily pissed off if their player only received a caution.

The last man rule is about stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity though, so the ref should have to decide wether that was the case or not before deciding what to do with the player.

Bassong has got a way with that for a while now though. Not saying that vindicates his sending off of course. But it's more of an indictment that we are relying on a 22 year old in his first season in English football as being the linchpin and saviour of our defence, when for the majority of the season his more experienced colleagues have let us down time and time again.

So Big Al's kicking off telling Ashley to get this kid singed on a propper long term deal, thats fine and dandy but do we really think Bassong is going to sign any contract we offer him? no fkn way he will hang on for The Gooners, even if we stay up he will want away.

Guest michaelfoster

I cant belive people are saying it wasnt a sending off yesterday, i sit half way up the east stand and at one point i thought Bassong was gonna rape him, he had his shirt nearly off his back, he gave his shirt a tug as the ball was lobbed forward, a tug again when the striker turned, one as he started running away then caught his heels.

Its a red card regardless, Bassong has been brilliant this season but he is not immune from criticism, what he did yesterday showed his inexperience. If the same thing happened and Martins was the striker trying to break away, we would of wanted the same thing.

oh and the Ultras singing you dont know what your doing to the ref, just please shut the f*ck up, you cant see the incident from there as the striker was obstructing your view.

That is all

oh and the Ultras singing you dont know what your doing to the ref, just please shut the f*ck up, you cant see the incident from there as the striker was obstructing your view.

:dowie:

The fans should be on the referee's back even when he's getting decisions right.

Guest neesy111

:dowie:

The fans should be on the referee's back even when he's getting decisions right.

well he got the disallowed goal awfully wrong

Why should the fans always be on the ref's back? Just giving them the attention and excuse they want.

To put pressure on him, make sure he's overawed by the occasion.  Why do you think so few pens are given at Old Trafford and Anfield?

Can't believe no-one else thinks this way, its troubling.  :undecided:

That is all

I sit up there and the striker wasn't obstructing the view and I clearly saw it was a red. I said it as soon as he did it. You have an agenda against the ultras by the sounds of it.

Why should the fans always be on the ref's back? Just giving them the attention and excuse they want.

To put pressure on him, make sure he's overawed by the occasion. Why do you think so few pens are given at Old Trafford and Anfield?

Can't believe no-one else thinks this way, its troubling. :undecided:

Because Man Utd and Liverpool play there.

Many of these referees have massive egos and love to be the centre of attention. You're just giving them what they want.

To put pressure on him, make sure he's overawed by the occasion.  Why do you think so few pens are given at Old Trafford and Anfield?

Many of these referees have massive egos and love to be the centre of attention. You're just giving them what they want.

Strange attitude IMO, but there you go.

How many penalties were given against Arsenal at Highbury? It's more about the power those clubs and their managers hold (and the fact opposition teams are rarely that far forward, of course), not the grief the fans give referees.

How many penalties were given against Arsenal at Highbury? It's more about the power those clubs and their managers hold (and the fact opposition teams are rarely that far forward, of course), not the grief the fans give referees.

There's a contradiction between what you're saying here and before about referees seeking attention imo. Surely a ref would get the most publicity if he were to do over the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea?

Guest Heneage

In my head I saw Poll and Winter holding hands skipping down a yellow brick road when you said that, two prime examples. I think Webb's accolade as best ref is getting to his head.

There's a contradiction between what you're saying here and before about referees seeking attention imo. Surely a ref would get the most publicity if he were to do over the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea?

I don't think they dare, mainly because of the power the top clubs hold. They'd probably be demoted. Anyone else and they love it.

Thanks for a wonderful season, Thanks to be the best central defender in the club in the past 15 or so years since I start supporting NUFC. I hope you stay with us even if we are in the first division. Thanks again our footballer of the year.

Ridiculous..not as good as Woodgate,Howey,Albert or even Dabizas.Potentially good but not in their class at the moment.

Thanks for a wonderful season, Thanks to be the best central defender in the club in the past 15 or so years since I start supporting NUFC. I hope you stay with us even if we are in the first division. Thanks again our footballer of the year.

Ridiculous..not as good as Woodgate,Howey,Albert or even Dabizas.Potentially good but not in their class at the moment.

howey?  jesus we are at a low ebb

Quality centre half,and a justified England international too.

he was as error prone as most of our other defenders and was getting games for england when there was a dirth of good CB's for the national team

he was OK but bassong is likely to become twice the player howey was

he was as error prone as most of our other defenders and was getting games for england when there was a dirth of good CB's for the national team

As i said Bassong has real potential.Cut out the naive errors and he'll go far,which i'm sure he will.

As i said Bassong has real potential.Cut out the naive errors and he'll go far,which i'm sure he will.

unlikely to be with us though  :no: