Derek Llambeezy

Willow

We'll see in the summer. Hope they don't rest on their laurels again.

i don't think they did last time, just the strategy didn't get what we wanted. it's not like we said "we aren't ineterested in buying anyone" just that the deals didn't come off.

And totally coincidentally they ALL came off this January when we were in relegation trouble. Whatever. :lol:

well I wouldn't say it was coincidence but if you want to think we could've got sissoko, gouffran and mapou last summer for the prices we did in january then thats up to you.

i'm not denying and never have that we spent a little because we were in trouble but the overall strategy of exploiting clauses/contract endings  (paying under market value) is still there and it's a damn sight easier to spend 1.5 mill on a player worth a lot more (sisssoko,gouffran) than an extra 1.5mill who may not (de jong, debuchy). for what it's worth had sissoko,gouffran and mapou been available at those prices last summer do you think we'd have bought them then ?

Our procurement strategy is commendable there's no doubt or argument about that but failure to pay the market rate in summer for a fourth centre-back (for example) was inexcusable.

IMO they would have thrown their procurement strategy out the window and paid over the odds in January for the players we bought, had the selling clubs quoted higher prices, because they had to - case in point being Sissoko, who would have been free/virtually free (agent fees etc), but we paid for - the principles of their procurement strategy were correctly overridden in January by necessity, as they ought to have been in the summer.

However, they had rested on their laurels and penny-pinched to a dangerous degree after last season's achievements.

They certainly deserve credit for realising the damage caused by the inactivity of the summer window and being very active in remedying it in the summer, we were like a f***ing whirlwind in January I genuinely couldn't keep up :lol: but even from a fiscal perspective, would we have had to spend the alleged £31m in January, had we paid an extra £15m in the summer? Three players who are at a first-team level, I wager, would have allowed us more rotation and prevented many of the injuries which have blighted this season IMO.

sissoko isn't really a case in point. yes we would probably have got him for nothing in the summer and yes our predicament at the time lead to us spending a little to get him earlier but he's a player worth much, much more than we paid for him so there is no risk. do you think had he had 3yrs left on his contract we'd have paid up the necessary to get him, same with gouffran and mapou ?

To be fair, Llambias talks a lot less s**** than most contributors to this thread. :lol:

I wouldn't class you as 'most'.

Never mind, one of these days you'll think of a way to blame me on Ashley or Pardew, and then you'll be able to moan about it at tedious length.

To be fair, Llambias talks a lot less s**** than most contributors to this thread. :lol:

I wouldn't class you as 'most'.

Never mind, one of these days you'll think of a way to blame me on Ashley or Pardew, and then you'll be able to moan about it at tedious length.

You're probably the last person that I could blame anything on as I think your input starts and ends on here.

• 1 month later...

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 4m

#nufc will announce one of the biggest commercial deals in club history before the season is out.

Seen this anyone?Scared/Happy? hahaha

Anything more ever mentioned about this?

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 4m

#nufc will announce one of the biggest commercial deals in club history before the season is out.

Usual Lee Ryder bollocks?

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 4m

Was it not all part of the Wonga muck?

Llambias added: “We’ve got one more commercial deal to announce which we’re really happy with.

“That will be reflected in our accounts next year. People will be surprised and happy what we’ve done on that side.

“We will announce that before the end of the season.

“It’s the biggest deal that the club has ever had.

“They’re nowhere near in comparison to the big boys but for us we have achieved and we’ve punched above our weight.”

Looking at other club's sponsorship deals, ours have been feeble in comparison. For the size of this club we have not done a god job selling it. Hopefully this announcement will change that, although obviously floundering hopelessly in 16th place in the Premier won't have helped.

Looking at other club's sponsorship deals, ours have been feeble in comparison. For the size of this club we have not done a god job selling it. Hopefully this announcement will change that, although obviously floundering hopelessly in 16th place in the Premier won't have helped.

Our brand image is hardly good though. You won't get many respectable companies wanting to sit alongside Sports Direct and Wonga.

Our brand image is hardly good though. You won't get many respectable companies wanting to sit alongside Sports Direct and Wonga.

This, unfortunately. :whatdidido:

Sports Direct is hardly a pariah brand, although Wonga is definitely shaky ground. But even before Wonga signed up last season we were hardly attracting big bucks in sponsorship deals, and was probablyone of the reasons we ended up with them eventually. I think it's more to do with big companies want to be attached to clubs which are aiming for success and show ambition. With us it's still appears to be the case of survive on the cheap and take what you can above that as a bonus. Sticking with a cheap manager rather than appoint a quality one sends out that signal for sure.

Guest Howaythetoon

Compared to when we were flying high under SJH and KK when the owners of Siemens would only invest in the North East if they could get a box at NUFC. We were a golden ticket back then, now we are a toxic brand.

We backed up the talk of being a big club during those days by marketing and performing on the pitch. It was a big draw with a big vision.

Now a days the manager opens up each window with this defeatist mentality that any of our top players are susceptible to the "big clubs." This same crap is veiled all over the club now a days I'm afraid.

Sports Direct is hardly a pariah brand, although Wonga is definitely shaky ground. But even before Wonga signed up last season we were hardly attracting big bucks in sponsorship deals, and was probablyone of the reasons we ended up with them eventually. I think it's more to do with big companies want to be attached to clubs which are aiming for success and show ambition. With us it's still appears to be the case of survive on the cheap and take what you can above that as a bonus. Sticking with a cheap manager rather than appoint a quality one sends out that signal for sure.

Sport Direct is a horrendous brand I'm afraid. It cries out 'stack em high sell em cheap'. It's a bargain basement brand, and it's been plastered all over what was once a great looking ground. The club used to have a fairly good brand image itself tbh, but the Ashley regime have changed that. Even the Puma shirts are cheap template kits with sow on badges as opposed to embroided ones. Look at the state of the club shop. Its basically a Newcastle United version of Sports Direct where everything is crammed in and its 3 t-shirts for a tenner. I haven't been in many other club shops, but I have been in Arsenal's and Chelsea's. Both are pretty classy and the items on sale are desirable and of good quality. Personally, I haven't bought one item of merchandise since the last Adidas top.

The whole image of the club is wrong tbh, but what it is is all Ashley knows. His kind of marketing doesn't adapt well to a Premier League football club where you're looking to attract sponsorship and where brand image is important. Brand image isn't really that important to Sports Direct.

It's hardly a wonder our commercial revenue has almost halved, and disgracefully so is now even below Sunderland's. No high end brand wants to be associated with us, and whats on the pitch is only a tiny part of it.

Sport Direct is a horrendous brand I'm afraid. It cries out 'stack em high sell em cheap'. It's a bargain basement brand, and it's been plastered all over what was once a great looking ground. The club used to have a fairly good brand image itself tbh, but the Ashley regime have changed that. Even the Puma shirts are cheap template kits with sow on badges as opposed to embroided ones. Look at the state of the club shop. Its basically a Newcastle United version of Sports Direct where everything is crammed in and its 3 t-shirts for a tenner. I haven't been in many other club shops, but I have been in Arsenal's and Chelsea's. Both are pretty classy and the items on sale are desirable and of good quality. Personally, I haven't bought one item of merchandise since the last Adidas top.

The whole image of the club is wrong tbh, but what it is is all Ashley knows. His kind of marketing doesn't adapt well to a Premier League football club where you're looking to attract sponsorship and where brand image is important. Brand image isn't really that important to Sports Direct.

It's hardly a wonder our commercial revenue has almost halved, and disgracefully so is now even below Sunderland's. No high end brand wants to be associated with us, and whats on the pitch is only a tiny part of it.

Good post.