Derek Llambeezy

Willow

Looking at other club's sponsorship deals, ours have been feeble in comparison. For the size of this club we have not done a god job selling it. Hopefully this announcement will change that, although obviously floundering hopelessly in 16th place in the Premier won't have helped.

Our brand image is hardly good though. You won't get many respectable companies wanting to sit alongside Sports Direct and Wonga.

Sports Direct is hardly a pariah brand, although Wonga is definitely shaky ground. But even before Wonga signed up last season we were hardly attracting big bucks in sponsorship deals, and was probablyone of the reasons we ended up with them eventually. I think it's more to do with big companies want to be attached to clubs which are aiming for success and show ambition. With us it's still appears to be the case of survive on the cheap and take what you can above that as a bonus. Sticking with a cheap manager rather than appoint a quality one sends out that signal for sure.

Sport Direct is a horrendous brand I'm afraid. It cries out 'stack em high sell em cheap'. It's a bargain basement brand, and it's been plastered all over what was once a great looking ground. The club used to have a fairly good brand image itself tbh, but the Ashley regime have changed that. Even the Puma shirts are cheap template kits with sow on badges as opposed to embroided ones. Look at the state of the club shop. Its basically a Newcastle United version of Sports Direct where everything is crammed in and its 3 t-shirts for a tenner. I haven't been in many other club shops, but I have been in Arsenal's and Chelsea's. Both are pretty classy and the items on sale are desirable and of good quality. Personally, I haven't bought one item of merchandise since the last Adidas top.

The whole image of the club is wrong tbh, but what it is is all Ashley knows. His kind of marketing doesn't adapt well to a Premier League football club where you're looking to attract sponsorship and where brand image is important. Brand image isn't really that important to Sports Direct.

It's hardly a wonder our commercial revenue has almost halved, and disgracefully so is now even below Sunderland's. No high end brand wants to be associated with us, and whats on the pitch is only a tiny part of it.

Good post.

Great post

Guest neesy111

The commercial side of the club is a joke at the moment compared to when we had the likes of Freddie Fletcher doing it.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Looking at other club's sponsorship deals, ours have been feeble in comparison. For the size of this club we have not done a god job selling it. Hopefully this announcement will change that, although obviously floundering hopelessly in 16th place in the Premier won't have helped.

Our brand image is hardly good though. You won't get many respectable companies wanting to sit alongside Sports Direct and Wonga.

Sports Direct is hardly a pariah brand, although Wonga is definitely shaky ground. But even before Wonga signed up last season we were hardly attracting big bucks in sponsorship deals, and was probablyone of the reasons we ended up with them eventually. I think it's more to do with big companies want to be attached to clubs which are aiming for success and show ambition. With us it's still appears to be the case of survive on the cheap and take what you can above that as a bonus. Sticking with a cheap manager rather than appoint a quality one sends out that signal for sure.

Sport Direct is a horrendous brand I'm afraid. It cries out 'stack em high sell em cheap'. It's a bargain basement brand, and it's been plastered all over what was once a great looking ground. The club used to have a fairly good brand image itself tbh, but the Ashley regime have changed that. Even the Puma shirts are cheap template kits with sow on badges as opposed to embroided ones. Look at the state of the club shop. Its basically a Newcastle United version of Sports Direct where everything is crammed in and its 3 t-shirts for a tenner. I haven't been in many other club shops, but I have been in Arsenal's and Chelsea's. Both are pretty classy and the items on sale are desirable and of good quality. Personally, I haven't bought one item of merchandise since the last Adidas top.

The whole image of the club is wrong tbh, but what it is is all Ashley knows. His kind of marketing doesn't adapt well to a Premier League football club where you're looking to attract sponsorship and where brand image is important. Brand image isn't really that important to Sports Direct.

It's hardly a wonder our commercial revenue has almost halved, and disgracefully so is now even below Sunderland's. No high end brand wants to be associated with us, and whats on the pitch is only a tiny part of it.

This has made it to /r/NUFC on Reddit.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Just the Newcastle subreddit with a couple thousand subscribers. 

Reddit's basically like Twitter and a forum rolled in to one in that you subscribe to your interests but can then go talk about them. Piece of piss once you get the hang of it.

Guest neesy111

Sounds as if it should be avoided like the plague, to be honest.

It's better than this forum, as you're not on it. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously though, how hard is it to learn a fucking name?

His inability to get names right is laughable, but pales into utter insignificance compared to sheer amount of shite he gets wrong or possibly simply makes up. That is the truly worrying stuff that needs highlighting.