Newcastle United 2 - 2 Stoke City - 06/12/08 - Post match reaction from page 16

JH

Coloccini, as much as I love him often gets ghosted past far too easily for a guy with a nice amount of pace

He got turned out wide, where he shouldn't have to be in the first place tbh. Not the biggest crime, at least he was there rather than going missing like our midfield.

Coloccini shouldn't be getting ghosted by Ricardo Fuller, but Enrique's effort was just as crap there. It was obvious what Fuller was going to do, and Enrique was in the perfect position to just stick a foot out and steal the ball, just before it happened.

Pliko posted on the build-up thread to this match that I 'need to consider things a bit more before coming out with all guns blazing'....!

Seems that this comment would be better applied to the team after today's giveaway - Oh, and also to Pilko himself..

Most of what I though might happen did, and if I had been asked to put a bet on who would score the equaliser it would have been - Yes - Abdoulaye Faye. How many times do former players return to haunt SJP..? This goal could be crucial at the season's end.

I wonder how much influence Beye has on the back line in terms of organising and communicating, because the difference (even allowing for the dropping back etc) once he wasn't in there was ridiculous. We went from a reasonably solid functional outfit to a typical Newcastle calamity; all at sea. And that's ignoring the goals we let in.

that is a very good point.

Its awful that a bloke that wont commit himself to the club is the captain of our Newcastle United. That makes him a top grade w***** imo and as soon as he's gone the better.

How can he commit to club that is not offering him contract?

Coloccini still probably isn't used to that side of the game in England, a guy in Spain would probably not have attempted that he would have just slowed down, held the ball up played around with it for a bit and then just passed it when extra men came. Colo will learn how to deal with these situations better, he has all the attributes he just needs the guidance.

I wonder how much influence Beye has on the back line in terms of organising and communicating, because the difference (even allowing for the dropping back etc) once he wasn't in there was ridiculous. We went from a reasonably solid functional outfit to a typical Newcastle calamity; all at sea. And that's ignoring the goals we let in.

that is a very good point.

What kind of fucking clown changes a defence that has kept 2 clean sheets on the spin mid-game though?

Fuck's sake. I would have rather he'd brought Viduka on and gone 4-3-3 firstly, or even if he'd just played Cacapa or Taylor as a holding midfielder.

To play 3 players out of position was unforgivable and basically cost us a win.

How f***ing depressing btw that we ended the game with six defenders on the pitch - four of them centre-halves - and we still conceded the equaliser to a set piece.

Kinnear's fault that the linesman and ref made an appalling decision for the free-kick of course.

Aye, 2-0 up and absolutely cruising at half time, that damn non-free kick was why we lost. Grr referees.

We could have really fucking done with those 3 points.  We were absolutely coasting at half time and you couldn't see them coming back into it, then once again we come out after our oranges, fanny about with the formation and tactics that's been working perfectly well for 45 minutess, lose all fucking shape, and completely go to pieces.  After about 10 minutes of the second half it was clear we were going to be lucky to win it, their second goal was no surprise to anyway and if any team was gonna win it in injury time it was going to be them bastards  :angry:

haah when it was 2-1, my friend went on his cell phone to check the other results and he happened to see our game as well as we were watching an stream, so we were like 5 minutes behind real time, and the fucking website had updated it wrong so it stood 2-3 :D

haha we were fucking mad crazy, thought we lost until 10 minutes later, THAT fucking sucked big time. But happy we didnt lose afterwards

that is the most arse about face way to get a shit result, and still be happy.

The first half I thought we were excellent, 2 good goals but it was the build up that impressed most as Stoke were cut apart on both occasions, better still when we were not creating chances we were comfortable in posession and looked comfortable passing it around with Stoke chasing shadows, Jonas and N'Zogbia gave us plenty of width and Guthrie was excellent playing in a role similar to what Carrick plays, then came half time...

The most bizarre change I think I can remember here, the obvious move was to either bring Viduka on and go 4-3-3 or move Coloccini forward so he's sat in front of Bassong and Taylor which would have made us harder to break down while retaining the width of the team, instead he put Taylor on at right back who's comfortable there but it's not really his natural position, stuck Beye on the wing which is worse than when Souness put Shola on the wing in terms of stupidity and stuck Jonas in the middle, which have us a soft centre and no attacking threat down the right.

What was worse was that even though it wasn't working Kinnear done nothing to alter it, I don't remember ever leaving a game as pissed off as I was yesterday because it was 2 points thrown away by an awful decision by the manager, thick as fucking mince.

Btw that was another game that we've invited the opposition to come and attack us by taking off Martins who still looked dangerous on the counter attack for the immobile Viduka, also where was Lua Lua? Perfect chance yesterday at half time to bring a young player on that the club thinks has potential.

The first half I thought we were excellent, 2 good goals but it was the build up that impressed most as Stoke were cut apart on both occasions, better still when we were not creating chances we were comfortable in posession and looked comfortable passing it around with Stoke chasing shadows, Jonas and N'Zogbia gave us plenty of width and Guthrie was excellent playing in a role similar to what Carrick plays, then came half time...

The most bizarre change I think I can remember here, the obvious move was to either bring Viduka on and go 4-3-3 or move Coloccini forward so he's sat in front of Bassong and Taylor which would have made us harder to break down while retaining the width of the team, instead he put Taylor on at right back who's comfortable there but it's not really his natural position, stuck Beye on the wing which is worse than when Souness put Shola on the wing in terms of stupidity and stuck Jonas in the middle, which have us a soft centre and no attacking threat down the right.

What was worse was that even though it wasn't working Kinnear done nothing to alter it, I don't remember ever leaving a game as pissed off as I was yesterday because it was 2 points thrown away by an awful decision by the manager, thick as f***ing mince.

Btw that was another game that we've invited the opposition to come and attack us by taking off Martins who still looked dangerous on the counter attack for the immobile Viduka, also where was Lua Lua? Perfect chance yesterday at half time to bring a young player on that the club thinks has potential.

I mentioned this about LuaLua yesterday, I think he must have picked up another injury after coming back otherwise it is total madness to go into the game without a midfielder on the bench.

What was worse was that even though it wasn't working Kinnear done nothing to alter it, I don't remember ever leaving a game as pissed off as I was yesterday because it was 2 points thrown away by an awful decision by the manager, thick as fucking mince.

:thup:

An absolutely spot on assessment.

Totally agree, particularly the bit in bold. It was obvious as fuck that it wasn't working but we just carried on until they inevitably scored.

didn´t see the match! but why did he change formation a ht, when we where crusing?

why did he sub guthrie?

why change a strong back 4 ?

actually i was a bit positive about getting jk a deal until the end of the season...its all gone! how can he be so incompetent....its a joke!

Can´t remember when this club mad a clever move?.....except for the jonas and bassong deals....mainly because of their transfer fees!

ABSOLUTLY GUTTED

I know Kinnear has the final say on all things, but surely he consults Hughton about substitutions as well?

I know at the end of the day Hughton could've said no thats a fucking shit idea and Kinnear still went ahead with it, but do we think that's likely? Or would they both have agreed on it?

Hughton is a very good coach, but even as an assistant manager I'm not all that confident in him these days, and he'll likely be on the touchline by himself for the next 3/4 games.