Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

I don't think he'll go in January, and I don't think Owen will want to leave then either. If he waits until June, he'll either get a bigger contract elsewhere than what he did in January, plus one or two of the bigger clubs might take a punt on him on a Bosman, or if we do get taken over before July, a new sugar-daddy might match or even better his current contract with the promise of money being spent on a better team.

Guest Howaythetoon

Any decent bid will be accepted from the powers that be and I can see several clubs paying *decent money for him such as Spurs, Everton, Villa and maybe even Man Utd or Chelsea as such a player could do wonders for them in the latter stages of the CL.

*He's got to be worth at least £5-7m?

For a Villa his goals could be the difference between finishing 4th or not or the type of goalscorer that could clinch CL success.

He'll go in Jan.

You're right on the money, HTT - good to see that there are at least a FEW realists on this board.

I made the same comment about Villa on the '80% Chance of keeping Owen' thread a few days ago, and was told to Piss Off by Asipith,who found support in Bobyule....

Lets see who is right in a few weeks.....OR months.

The only thing i'd agree about that is the fee amount.

Ashley may well be intend on getting as much cash for himself as he can, selling Owen increases the chance of relegation so it doesn't make sense to get £5-7m in Jan and risk losing £50-100m in the summer if/when we go down because we couldn't score enough goals.

He may be daft but he's not that stupid.

He's a gambler who hasn't a clue about football so he won't consider Owen leaving = certain relegation. He'll just look at the ££££ signs. He's gambled our safety on Joe Kinnear FFS. Mike Ashley will recoup his money either way in the long run, whether we stay or up, go down or we get sold. Going down will devalue the club by some margin of course but he can still get his money back even if we are down in the Championship. Sponsorship of the shirt is around the corner, a new TV deal is 2 years away. My point - whether we stay up or go down is of no real consequence to Ashley's ultimate goal of making a profit on NUFC.

yeah the sponsorship and tv money we'd get in the championship will help make a profit

I'm just saying he can still claw back his money without having to sell the club whether we stay up or go down long term. The TV money and Sponsorship money is obviously bigger if we stay up but will Ashley really be driven to keep Owen based on that? Will he f***. Like I said he's a gambler and knows his investment which we now know isn't as big as he liked to claim having not paid off all the debt, is still safe long-term, regardless of what league we are in and he's the type who would sit it out until he reclaimed every last penny and then sum.

i don't think he can. look at how many clubs in the championship and below turn over a profit and then how big those profits are.add his initial outlay to claw back before he can say he's made a profit on anything.

Going down would remove the biggest operating cost we have by some margin - wages - which would result in the club turning over a healthy profit even in the Championship as our gates would still be large in my opinion, at least in the region of 35-40,000. Money from the sale of players wouldn't be pennies as was the case with West Ham either. Then there is the parachute payments and even TV revenue from televised matches - we'd be live almost most weeks as Leeds were. You factor that in over a number of years and he'll claw back his money and maybe even a profit. He could of course get out a loan, use that to pay himself back, and load it onto the club.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think he'll go in January, and I don't think Owen will want to leave then either. If he waits until June, he'll either get a bigger contract elsewhere than what he did in January, plus one or two of the bigger clubs might take a punt on him on a Bosman, or if we do get taken over before July, a new sugar-daddy might match or even better his current contract with the promise of money being spent on a better team.

Its got nowt to do with Owen not wanting to leave, if someone offers decent money, the club will snap their hands off there and then. For once I feel Owen won't be in a position of bargaining power on this one. I can see several clubs more than willing to pay decent enough money for his services, clubs like Villa, Man City, maybe even Man Utd or Chelsea.

Any decent bid will be accepted from the powers that be and I can see several clubs paying *decent money for him such as Spurs, Everton, Villa and maybe even Man Utd or Chelsea as such a player could do wonders for them in the latter stages of the CL.

*He's got to be worth at least £5-7m?

For a Villa his goals could be the difference between finishing 4th or not or the type of goalscorer that could clinch CL success.

He'll go in Jan.

You're right on the money, HTT - good to see that there are at least a FEW realists on this board.

I made the same comment about Villa on the '80% Chance of keeping Owen' thread a few days ago, and was told to Piss Off by Asipith,who found support in Bobyule....

Lets see who is right in a few weeks.....OR months.

The only thing i'd agree about that is the fee amount.

Ashley may well be intend on getting as much cash for himself as he can, selling Owen increases the chance of relegation so it doesn't make sense to get £5-7m in Jan and risk losing £50-100m in the summer if/when we go down because we couldn't score enough goals.

He may be daft but he's not that stupid.

He's a gambler who hasn't a clue about football so he won't consider Owen leaving = certain relegation. He'll just look at the ££££ signs. He's gambled our safety on Joe Kinnear FFS. Mike Ashley will recoup his money either way in the long run, whether we stay or up, go down or we get sold. Going down will devalue the club by some margin of course but he can still get his money back even if we are down in the Championship. Sponsorship of the shirt is around the corner, a new TV deal is 2 years away. My point - whether we stay up or go down is of no real consequence to Ashley's ultimate goal of making a profit on NUFC.

yeah the sponsorship and tv money we'd get in the championship will help make a profit

I'm just saying he can still claw back his money without having to sell the club whether we stay up or go down long term. The TV money and Sponsorship money is obviously bigger if we stay up but will Ashley really be driven to keep Owen based on that? Will he f***. Like I said he's a gambler and knows his investment which we now know isn't as big as he liked to claim having not paid off all the debt, is still safe long-term, regardless of what league we are in and he's the type who would sit it out until he reclaimed every last penny and then sum.

i don't think he can. look at how many clubs in the championship and below turn over a profit and then how big those profits are.add his initial outlay to claw back before he can say he's made a profit on anything.

Going down would remove the biggest operating cost we have by some margin - wages - which would result in the club turning over a healthy profit even in the Championship as our gates would still be large in my opinion, at least in the region of 35-40,000. Money from the sale of players wouldn't be pennies as was the case with West Ham either. Then there is the parachute payments and even TV revenue from televised matches - we'd be live almost most weeks as Leeds were. You factor that in over a number of years and he'll claw back his money and maybe even a profit. He could of course get out a loan, use that to pay himself back, and load it onto the club.

i am not at all sure about the size of the crowd you are predidcting. the wages,offset by the drop in gate reciepts,tv money and sponsorship.....i'd be surprised if they broke even.

Guest Howaythetoon

I really can't see Ashley selling him tbh.

I can. I don't think he really understands our position above all else. Remember the people bending his ear are Wise and Joe Kinnear who will think all the players have to do to stay up is keep working hard and that we are too good to go down. They won't be wanting to tell their boss "hey, there is a good chance we will go down" as that would say they aren't good enough. He's paying them fortunes to run the club as well as possible on his behalf. He's a gambler too. This is a man who risks millions of his own money making predictions on the stock market which is an area he is supposed to be clued up on. He quite obviously doesn't have a clue about football and I'm not surprised when his advisers are messrs Wise, Kinnear et al who likewise don't have a clue. We must also accept that he may well not give a fuck. Jan will say a lot of course, if he spens good money and knocks back any offers for Owen which will come, then we'll know he understands our position and does give a fuck, if not about the football club and us lot, at least about the business side of things. I won't hold my breath however. I think via Wise the message will go out around thge league that several of our better players are up for grabs which apparently happened in the last window towards the end. Whether that they were is true or not is open to debate but the message went out from someone at the club all the same.

Surely it only reduces the wages cost if there are people prepared to take the players on big money away from you.

I'd imagine Duff, say, is on a fair whack, but how many takers would there be for him?

You're right about the other stuff, mind, the parachute payments help massively.

Parachute payments are £11 million, that's in comparison to the £39.2 million we took from Premiership Television/Prize money last season.  As for gates, not only will they drop but ticket prices will have to drop too, further reducing revenue.  In 2006-2007 our total revenue was in the region of £87 million, now it should he closer to £100 million.  That revenue would half at best if we were relegated IMO, and I'm taking parachute payments into account there.

Even if we could half our wage bill we'd then be coming out with around £18 million after paying the wage bill.  As opposed to £35 million at the moment, so we wouldn't be better off, and that's if we magically managed to half our wage bill, which we couldn't, certainly not for the first season or two.  After two seasons we'd lose the £11 million from parachute payments and unless we'd managed to more then half our wage bill we'd then be spending at nearly 90% of revenue on wages.

Where is the £200 million or so coming from to give Ashley his money back?  Relegation would be an absolute disaster, for us and for Ashley.  His asset would be worth half what he paid for it at best and if we didn't get back up quick we'd be a lot worse of then we are at the moment, even with our wages cut to 1/3 of what they are now.  For a Championship club our revenue would be brilliant, but our outgoings would also be massive, and that's not something you can change in a year or two, or even a few years.

If Ashley wants to make a profit every year then its much better to make sure we stay in the Premiership this year and then let the likes of Viduka and Owen go in the summer, replacing them with players on much lower wages.  In the Premiership the revenues are so massive in comparison to the Championship that margins can be much higher.  All he has to do is drop our insane wage bill down to the level of a mid table Premiership side and he'd be in the money every year.  It would still take him 10 years to make his money back but its better then the 20 years or more it'd take in the Championship :)

EDIT: changed the revenue number for this seasons increase TV money and changed the other numbers accordingly.

Comments from Supermac

Newcastle legend Malcolm Macdonald slams hierarchy over Michael Owen's future

Malcolm Macdonald, the former England and Newcastle United striker, hit out at the powers-that-be at his old club by insisting they would have no one to blame but themselves should Michael Owen leave Tyneside next summer - Rob Stewart, The Telegraph

Macdonald, who rated "their chances of keeping Owen as zero", is convinced the Newcastle skipper will see out his four-year contract and leave on a free transfer at the end of the season due to unrest that has enveloped St James' Park and creating an impasse in contract talks.

Owen, 29 this Sunday, has blamed the "hysteria" since Kevin Keegan quit Newcastle prompting owner Mike Ashley to put the club up for sale on the club's failure to re-open talks on a fresh deal but Macdonald believes it should have been concluded long ago.

"If Newcastle seriously wanted to build a team around and behind Michael Owen then they should have wrapped it up a year or more ago," Macdonald told Telegraph Sport.

"They failed to do anything about it a year ago when they should have been acting. They didn't because the whole place is in complete turmoil.

"I first came into the top division in 1971 and in all I have never seen a club in such turmoil in all those years as Newcastle United are right now.

"Allowing a goal scorer of his calibre to get into this contractual situation speaks volumes, not so much about Michael Owen but about the current owner of Newcastle United and where he sights really lie. He's trying to get his money back on the club."

Macdonald, whose 95 goals in 187 Newcastle games in the 1970s earned him the nickname 'Supermac,' added: "Even if Newcastle bust a gut to find someone to take him in January he will just say 'no' and they can't force him to go. He will just see out his time.

"It's fair enough for him to do that because Newcastle United have allowed him to get into that situation. All is fair in love, war and business.

"Michael wouldn't feel as though he has loyalties to the club. He will want to get away as quickly as possible and leave the madness behind him What wouldn't be understandable is if he was prepared to stay."

Macdonald, a St James' Park regular as a radio pundit, regrets the fact that he has not seen the best of Owen since he joined Newcastle from Real Madrid for a club-record £17-million in August 2005.

"The whole thing was badly tainted when he was injured playing for England at the last World Cup," said Macdonald.

"That spoilt the whole situation. If that injury hadn't taken place before he had hardly kicked a ball for Newcastle I think there might have been a different situation.

"He started off on the wrong foot and kept on going on the wrong foot. It's hopped along on the wrong foot for about three years now and I think it's time to say goodbye, I really do."

"In the first place, he didn't leave Real Madrid in the best situations and Newcastle were almost foisted upon him. He had three choices 'Newcastle, Newcastle or Newcastle.' Macdonald, 58, concluded: "Last weekend Michael Owen got a brace against Stoke to give them a two-goal lead and he must have been scratching his head saying well they can't even hold a two-goal lead when I get them one. That will be a factor in him making his decision if it's not already made.

"He'll be thinking of a major pay-day as well. It will be a case of 'thanks you very much' – Newcastle a load of disorganised, absolute sheer nonsense and I'm better off out of it'.

"Somewhere back across in Cheshire way nearer home and I'm laughing and I will be able to stick another 20 million quid in the bank over the next three years without all the travelling across country."

"I first came into the top division in 1971 and in all I have never seen a club in such turmoil in all those years as Newcastle United are right now.

Oh, look, Supermac is talking bollocks again.

Oh, look, Supermac is talking bollocks again.

;D

Guest black n white

imo

he's already away

for how much he gets paid and for how many games he actually plays

100k a week

what happens if he does sign then we go down anyway, could we still afford his wages

and how much will he be worth  by the end of next season if his niggling injuries continue

chelsea for 2.5m

Guest michaelfoster

League: 45 appearances out of possible 130 (10 sub) 24 goals

League Cup: 2 appearances out of possible 7 (1 sub) 2 goals

FA Cup: 3 appearances out of possible 8 (0 sub) 1 goal

Total: 50 out of possible 145 (11 sub) 27 goals

His game to goal ratio is pretty decent as he averages a goal every 2 games but he's played just over 1/3 of possible games. It works out as around 363k per game, rougly including 100k+ wages but thats before any appearance or goal bonuses.

IMO it would be best for both parites if he left either in january or the summer

His game to goal ratio is pretty decent as he averages a goal every 2 games but he's played just over 1/3 of possible games. It works out as around 363k per game, rougly including 100k+ wages but thats before any appearance or goal bonuses.

IMO it would be best for both parites if he left either in january or the summer

Not really if you take into account the goals he scored got us higher league placings meaning more cash, helped us get into Europe, saved us millions from us not going down, got us in the next round of cups, I am sure I could think of more things but I am heading out now.

Laters....

Not really if you take into account the goals he scored got us higher league placings meaning more cash, helped us get into Europe, saved us millions from us not going down, got us in the next round of cups, I am sure I could think of more things but I am heading out now.

Laters....

He's still costing that though, he's not alone in helping the team, many players can do that and they won't usually cost £363,000 per game.

There will be plenty of clubs wanting Owen, getting him on the cheap now or free in the summer is a total bargain, yeah his wage demnd may be high but I am sure there will be clubs willing to pay it. The only thing may be Owen's ego, will there be any clubs that he sees's as big enough for him to go to, he seems willing to stay here its only the club that seems to be the ones holding back on a new deal.

The only clubs outside the top 4 who could pay his wages are us and Man City.

has he got to have the same wages ?

More to behonest - bosmans usually get higher wages and signing on fees for the buying club not having to pay a transfer fee for them.

The only clubs outside the top 4 who could pay his wages are us and Man City.

has he got to have the same wages ?

Would he play for Pompy for 60k a week, spurs for 35k a week?

Would Aston Villa give him top wedge to play for them.  I doubt it, but it will be interesting January.