Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

He's speaking about the offer having to be right.  If he's implying he wouldn't be happy with a 6 month extension (his words), then it seems to suggest he wouldn't take a 1 year deal (which personally, I thought he might, as it still gives him the freedom to walk away sooner rather than later).

I'm thinking if we offer him something like another 2 years, probably with a high salary, he'll take it.  However if we ask him to commit for another 3-4 years I think he'll tell us to get f***ed.

I think he'll be wanting a long-term deal, if possible. A 2 year deal takes him to 31 when he's free to sign for another club and he won't get 100k/week from anyone at that age and for any length of time. Sign a 4 year deal now and he's done with the club at 33 after collecting 100k/week for 8 years. Pretty sweet deal if money's a priority for him.

There's still a good chance that he'll stay. I think he knows that no other club are as desperate (?) as we are and none are also willing to accommodate him to the extent that we are (the chopper, for example). He's captain here. He's wanted, needed even. He's guaranteed a first-team place, lots of money and the club has potential if we can sort out this mess.

Villa play a different style, Everton can't pay his wages, Spurs play one up front and have got two expensive strikers and City seem to have set their sights on a different tier of talent. I just don't know where else he'd go because the top 4 are even less likely to sign him.

He's smart so he'll consider what other clubs have to offer and I expect that he won't sign a contract with anyone soon.

We at Everton offer an alternate resource to money - pies.

Guest Howaythetoon

He'd be mad to sign a new deal here, although I clearly hope he does and would be extremely delighted if he did. Owen has won me over big time since he returned to full fitness last season not only with his goals and play but his commitment on the pitch. He's a class act and a much better footballer than I had giving him credit for when he first joined.

He'd be mad to sign a new deal here, although I clearly hope he does and would be extremely delighted if he did. Owen has won me over big time since he returned to full fitness last season not only with his goals and play but his commitment on the pitch. He's a class act and a much better footballer than I had giving him credit for when he first joined.

He'd be mad not to accept if we offer him a 3 year contract on his current wage, unless he can lure the likes of Manure ect, which I seriously doubt.

could still be similar to when he originally signed.  His options were sitting on the bench at Real or come back to England and be a regular.  He said at the time he spoke to Benitez, but he didn't go (I'd imagine that would have been his first choice), suggesting they didn't want him.  As Apisith said, again his options appear to be limited.

Averaging a goal every 145 minutes since Keegan came in against Bolton in the league (which was pretty much when Owen returned from injury).

Guest Howaythetoon

Averaging a goal every 145 minutes since Keegan came in against Bolton in the league (which was pretty much when Owen returned from injury).

Outstanding form for someone considered past his best etc.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way I don't think Owen is as highly motivated by money as he admittedly has sometimes appeared to be when big decisions are asked of him. Not these days anyway. I think getting back into the England squad will factor big in any decision, as will trophies and starting regular.

Still has no intention of signing.

Hope you eat your words ,as he proved today he is still a class act and his comments are very honest in the post match interview so its not his fault but media spin and our current position that leaves this situation.

Outstanding form for someone considered past his best etc.

Totally agree, it's nigh on 2 goals every 3 games.

He'd played 22 games for club and Country last season before then, you can't just cherrypick a date to go from so you can ignore his shit form before that.

Still has no intention of signing.

Hope you eat your words ,as he proved today he is still a class act and his comments are very honest in the post match interview so its not his fault but media spin and our current position that leaves this situation.

Agree with the bit in bold, but disagree with the rest.

Guest Howaythetoon

The beauty with Owen is that for whatever reason he will get on the end of at least 1 chance per game, often more and that isn't always down to good play or design but his own instinct and movement which is the key to his quite brilliant record and testament to his mental discipline to keep himself primed to strike. He's like a predator in many ways and what I also love about Owen is he gambles, he will gamble on a defender mistiming his jump, the ball sailing over his head or coming off him into space and while 9 times out of 10 the defender will win the ball, that 1 time he doesn't will see Owen pounce and invariably profit. All the very best players gamble like that, Shearer did it, Rooney does it, Messi does it, Ronaldo, they all do. Instinct for me plays as big a part as technique and skill and where players like Owen are concerned I don't think they can be coached or developed into what they are, they are born that way.

He's speaking about the offer having to be right.  If he's implying he wouldn't be happy with a 6 month extension (his words), then it seems to suggest he wouldn't take a 1 year deal (which personally, I thought he might, as it still gives him the freedom to walk away sooner rather than later).

I'm thinking if we offer him something like another 2 years, probably with a high salary, he'll take it.  However if we ask him to commit for another 3-4 years I think he'll tell us to get f***ed.

I think he'll be wanting a long-term deal, if possible. A 2 year deal takes him to 31 when he's free to sign for another club and he won't get 100k/week from anyone at that age and for any length of time. Sign a 4 year deal now and he's done with the club at 33 after collecting 100k/week for 8 years. Pretty sweet deal if money's a priority for him.

There's still a good chance that he'll stay. I think he knows that no other club are as desperate (?) as we are and none are also willing to accommodate him to the extent that we are (the chopper, for example). He's captain here. He's wanted, needed even. He's guaranteed a first-team place, lots of money and the club has potential if we can sort out this mess.

Villa play a different style, Everton can't pay his wages, Spurs play one up front and have got two expensive strikers and City seem to have set their sights on a different tier of talent. I just don't know where else he'd go because the top 4 are even less likely to sign him.

He's smart so he'll consider what other clubs have to offer and I expect that he won't sign a contract with anyone soon.

Stephen Carr for shock return?

viduka would be perfect for you then ;D