Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Its not going to happen. Fergie's not that stupid.

Smart move imo. He has prob about £100million to spend on players this summer, may aswell get Owen for free too.

Smart move imo. He has prob about £100million to spend on players this summer, may aswell get Owen for free too.

Absolutely - I have had the best laugh in weeks looking at all the posts who derided Owen as a player, now furiously huffing & puffing in trying to justify their stance, now that Fergie looks like signing him.

Because nobody in their right mind would be able to portray Fergie as a bad manager, there are now comments about his ego etc..Please...

Anything rather than admit that Owen was playing in a crap team, getting no service and, as any intelligent person would be, totally pissed off with the comedy show that was Newcastle United....

Owen will be an asset to Man U if used sparingly, as Fergie doubtless intends to do - he will be getting 100 times better service and support than he did at NUFC and this move will benefit both parties - I am not in the SLIGHTEST bit surprised that this has happened because Fergie, despite his arrogance at times, is still a shrewd and clever manager.

I still think Michael Owen is rubbish. If they do bring him in, he'll score the occasional goal but he'll contribute little else to the team I think. Any decent striker could score a few goals with the amount of chances Man U create, but they really need dynamic players and Owen certainly is not that.

If Fergie rated him that highly, he could have brought him in a couple of years ago, with the buy-out clause in Owen's contract. If this story is true, he'll be seeing him as a squad player and impact sub.

We also don't know on what terms Owen would be joining. He'll be desperate to join a club like Man U, in order to restore his reputation and get back in the England squad. If the alternatives are the likes of Hull, that's a public statement that he's past it. Man U will be able to dictate whatever terms they like, including a large element of pay as you play.

All the same, I think Man U would be making a mistake. The issue of whether he gets picked and how well he's playing would attract far more media attention than his ability deserves, and that's not good for team morale. It'll turn out to be a problem they don't need.

Absolutely - I have had the best laugh in weeks looking at all the posts who derided Owen as a player, now furiously huffing & puffing in trying to justify their stance, now that Fergie looks like signing him.

Because nobody in their right mind would be able to portray Fergie as a bad manager, there are now comments about his ego etc..Please...

Anything rather than admit that Owen was playing in a crap team, getting no service and, as any intelligent person would be, totally pissed off with the comedy show that was Newcastle United....

Owen will be an asset to Man U if used sparingly, as Fergie doubtless intends to do - he will be getting 100 times better service and support than he did at NUFC and this move will benefit both parties - I am not in the SLIGHTEST bit surprised that this has happened because Fergie, despite his arrogance at times, is still a shrewd and clever manager.

Do you honestly think any Newcastle supporter is going to have a positive thing to say about Michael Owen? every fan has the right to hate the bloke, we can blame the the way the club has been ran as much as we want but Owen was being paid 5m+ a year and his total lack of fight and commitment in the last month of the season was embarrassing, this bloke is the club captain and has not said one thing to the fans or media about our relegation.   

I honestly think Owen regrets not signing that 75k a week contract in September, he would be now on the verge of being paid a fortune by 2 clubs.

Guest Stephen927

Michael Owen will be a good signing for Man United. The way they push up on teams when they're chasing a goal, and the way teams drop deep to defend, mean that Owen will not be as reliant on his pace as he is when playing for us.

Michael Owen will be a good signing for Man United. The way they push up on teams when they're chasing a goal, and the way teams drop deep to defend, mean that Owen will not be as reliant on his pace as he is when playing for us.

I dunno, Michael Owen in your side = feels like you've only got 10 men on the pitch.

I didn't think it before but if Man U don't keep Tevez maybe they wouldn't mind Owen on a free? They did get Henrik Larsson after all.

Do I win a prize?

If Owen wants to go to a 'better' club in the Summer the only way he can do that is by attracting them by putting in lots of good performances for us for the rest of the season.

That's spot on by the way. We're in a win-win situation.

Turns out that wasn't the case.

I'm sure Man U are getting him as their new Henrik Larsson. He'll be used as a sub and in cup games. I'd be surprised if he was a regular starter (and I don't mean starts limited by injury). I'm sure he'll do well there (the bastard). But I'm also sure any average striker would do well at Man U due to the quality they are surrounded by. Man U fans thought Alan Smith was good. Surround a shit player with quality and they look ok. Surround an average player with quality and they look good. Look what happens when players leave Man U. They tend to be found out as 'not as good as people thought' elsewhere.

A shrewd and clever manager who has made, and will make, mistakes. If he buys Owen I'll consider it another mistake, though you could argue that on a free transfer it's a mistake Man Utd can afford. If he's s*** they'll just drop him. It's not like they won't be signing other forwards this summer, they've got 80 million sitting in the bank.

Does anyone really believe he'll be a regular first XI starter for Man Utd next season? They may have missed out on Benzema but come on. IF he does end up there you could see him used as a rotation player and nothing more - another O'Shea type to beef up his options.

I guess it may also have something to do with the number of English players required for Europe these days.

Still think it's a bad idea, would not be happy if I was a Man Utd supporter.  They have £80m, surely they can bring in a real striker...

they will.

who do you think? Tevez  is gone and Benzema their top target is at Real now. Any other top strikers you could see them realistically going for? Besides Benzema and Shola  I don:t think there were any real obvious ones in mind

Whaaa.. Manure.. no fucking way

And how come there are still people who defend his disgraceful period here.. he bled the club dry man.. service or no service, that's 40 million of OUR pockets in return for 25 goals and ultimately relegation, you sick sadomasos.

Guest neesy111

Still think it's a bad idea, would not be happy if I was a Man Utd supporter.  They have £80m, surely they can bring in a real striker...

they will.

who do you think? Tevez  is gone and Benzema their top target is at Real now. Any other top strikers you could see them realistically going for? Besides Benzema and Shola  I don:t think there were any real obvious ones in mind

break the bank for ageuro

Guest neesy111

it's laughable how other fan's are saying he didn't get the service

it doesn't matter as in a team like man utd's they don't exactly play two wingers playing

tbf the bbc saying they understand, they said freddy's bid for the toon would be accepted no news of that yet

i've got a feeling this in man utd's E plan if they miss all of their targets

Guest neesy111

look at this piciture, it showed everything wrong at the club

a trophy signing, souness and jim bloody white

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46005000/jpg/_46005068_michaelowen.jpg