Free-kick spray

Dokko

Argentines introduce 'free-kick' spray

Thursday, December 11 2008, 18:08 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

The Argentine Football Association will introduce an aerosol spray to prevent defenders encroaching on free-kicks.

Starting next year, match officials in the first division will be able to mark a white line on the pitch ten yards from where the ball is placed, which defenders are not allowed to cross. The mark will disappear 30 seconds later.

The spray was invented by Pablo Silva, who came up with the idea after he failed to score from a free-kick in an amateur match.

Reuters quotes him as saying: "In the 88th minute, we were losing 1-0 and won a free-kick on the edge of the area. When I took the kick, the wall was three metres away.

"The referee didn't book anyone and didn't do anything. We lost the game, and driving home later, with a mixture of anger and bitterness, I thought that we must invent something to stop this."

guy on talksport today was saying Brazil have been using it for years.

they mark where the ball has to be placed and where the wall has to be behind

i've watched a few brazilian games recently and can't remember seeing it.

It'd be much more useful to invent a backbone spray for refs and the authorities in general.

But then when a ref doesnt take the BS like this season in that ManCity game he seems to get slammed for wasting everyone's time.

It'd be much more useful to invent a backbone spray for refs and the authorities in general.

But then when a ref doesnt take the BS like this season in the ManCity v Hull game he seems to get slammed for wasting everyone's time.

That's why I added "...and the authorities in general" to the end of what I said. None of them have any balls, I mean what exactly are they scared of?

I've never understood why no-one's tried starting say, 12-13 yards from the ball, which gives them 2-3 yards to take a couple of steps and jump higher than from a standing start, and they wouldn't be encroaching...anyhoo.

then it'll be easier to place the ball under the wall (ronaldinho's done it a few times) or through the wall as the wall will inevitably break up when jumping.

often wondered what the ref would do if the wall all put their arms up, and claimed their arms were in the air well before the ball was kicked,hence "ball to hand"