Fantastic news!

Dave

We're offering a new contract to Michael Owen. And Steve Harper, Nicky Butt and Shola Ameobi.

Michael Owen "will be offered an excellent deal"

Dec 12 2008 By Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United boss Joe Kinnear says that the ball will be in Michael Owen's court when it comes to the Toon star's uncertain future - but has revealed his number 10 will be offered an "excellent" deal. 

Kinnear feels he has a battle on his hands to keep Owen but will try to convince the out-of-favour striker to see out his career on Tyneside. 

The first round of talks are set to start on Tuesday with a new contract offer on the table amid speculation that his time at St James's Park is drawing to a close. 

Owen's existing £103,000-a-week deal expires at the end of the current season but he will be free to talk to potential suitors next month, and there will be no shortage of takers should he decide not to sign on the dotted line once again. 

Kinnear, who will also hold talks with Nicky Butt, Steve Harper and Shola Ameobi, and is expected to discuss an option on Mark Viduka's contract, knows it is up to him to sell the club to the former Real Madrid frontman once again despite the turmoil which currently surrounds it on and off the field. 

He said: "We have heard lots of things, that Michael's agent has had lots of clubs go on to him. 

"Obviously, they will want to know what type of contract we are going to offer him. 

"I won't go into those details now, but we will be offering him what we consider an excellent contract considering the climate of what is happening around all football clubs. 

"But it will be up to Michael to make that decision. 

"I am pretty confident that Shola Ameobi, Steve Harper and Nicky Butt will sign, it's now just down to Michael." 

Kinnear made no secret of his desire to tie up Owen's future - as did Kevin Keegan before him - and has left the player in little doubt as to his feelings on the matter. 

He said: "Michael is well aware of that, so is his agent.

"They are well aware of my feelings on this, but the ball is in his court. 

"I will find out, hopefully, on Tuesday."

Out of contract stars could be offered new deals

Dec 12 2008 By Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JOE Kinnear has revealed that Newcastle United's out-of-contract stars could be offered new deals sooner rather than later.

However, although Michael Owen is thought to be offered a new deal, Kinnear admits an agreement is not past the post.

United skipper Owen is top of Kinnear's priority list when it comes to contracts with the out-of-favour England man free to talk to other clubs next month.

However, Kinnear revealed he "is not confident" that Owen will sign a new contract when talks begin next Tuesday.

Yet other key stars such as Nicky Butt, Steve Harper, Shola Ameobi and Mark Viduka are also out of contract in June.

Speaking on Owen, Kinnear said: “I think I’d like to get all the players who are out of contract signed up, hopefully next week.

“I have spent the last four or five days talking to directors.

“There will be offers on the table for I am confident of that.

“I want at least two new faces, and I will be in the position to buy two new players.

“It will be up to the players and the ball will be in their court.”

And talking about the chances of Owen extending his stay Kinnear added:  “I’m not that confident.

“I am pretty confident about everyone else.

"He (Owen) is looking at his options.

“He will sit down with us on Tuesday.”

Meanwhile Kinnear said that he wants everybody to stay in January when the transfer window opens again.

He says: “We won’t be selling anybody here.

“Not until we are safe.

“We are in a relegation battle and there are 10 teams down there with us.”

Five players will face fitness tests on Saturday before the clash on the South Coast - midfield trio Nicky Butt, Danny Guthrie and Damien Duff are all sweating on their fitness, while Shola Ameobi and Sebastien Bassong are also struggling.

What a fucking joke.

Jesus wept that this club is even in such a position to even consider offering Sherla and Butt new contracts. More-so because it depresses me like fuck that I know Nicky Butt will still be starting this time next season.

3 words. Wafer thin squad.

It's also a good indication that we won't be looking to buy more players if the likes of Butt are getting new deals.

Out of the players listed, he is the one i wouldnt offer a new contract to. I dont think what you say necessarily follows either.

The genius recruitment team can't find better midfielders than a 35 year old nicky butt? I'm so glad to have them at our club.

Is that the implication of offering members of the existing squad a renewed contract? Thats the logic of a hormonal woman. This move has to go hand in hand with additional players in January but one without the other wouldnt be satisfactory.