The Wise/Jimenez/Vetere AND KEVIN KEEGAN appreciation thread

oldtype

The fact that the absolute worst signing of the summer is a loanee we got for nothing

Xisco could be the worst signing but we will have to wait & see on that one as it may take Owen, Oba, Viduka, Shola & Andy Carroll to get knocks before Joe lets us see him play again.

A loan signing we got for nothing, thats right La Liga sides loan players out free of charge. We will have paid a loan fee & paying all his wages.

Aye, I'm sure the loan fee was MASSIVE. :lol:

They're made some very good signings, but they also made some poor ones, especially Gonzales which has been an utter disaster.  Meanwhile they left numerous holes in the squad while £12 or so million sat in the bank unused.  They also missed out on quite a few signings, and I'd hardly say Jiminez hoodwinked Mallorca into handing over Jonas for peanuts, they had no say in the matter.  But I congratulate them none the less for identifying him and acting quickly to sign him first.  In other words its been a very mixed bag IMO.

You're blaming them for a player picking up an injury mackems.gif

If he was a known  target we should of got him earlier on in the summer before he moved to Spain & not picked him up on loan on deadline day like an after thought.

If they wanted him, missed out, then had the chance to get him for 12 months, I can't see the problem tbh.

I don't think he was a target earlier on in the summer, we got him in because we needed bodies in & it was really late on deadline day.

Make your mind up :dontknow:

Sorry old bean for not coming  across clearer in my first post. I think we were after him from around about 10pmish on 31/08/08. BUT if the lad was any good we should of been bidding for him in the summer & signed him up on full time deal.

The fact that the absolute worst signing of the summer is a loanee we got for nothing

Xisco could be the worst signing but we will have to wait & see on that one as it may take Owen, Oba, Viduka, Shola & Andy Carroll to get knocks before Joe lets us see him play again.

A loan signing we got for nothing, thats right La Liga sides loan players out free of charge. We will have paid a loan fee & paying all his wages.

It will be more than FREE :lol:

Sunderland are paying £2 million for Sissy.

Can't believe Keegan's name has been forced into the title of the thread.

So pathetic.

:lol:

no one has forced anything, no is threatening violence or coercing anyone. i'd like to think reasoned arguments have done their job.

why is it ridiculous? according to the numerous sources Keegan was behind the Guthrie transfer, while it was him that gave Bassong the final run over during the trial period, not wise, vetere or jiminez. if we're dishing out credit then he deserves credit for that, to deliberately miss him off the list when he's as much right to be on there as anyone else is divisive and churlish.

Okay fine, "the fact that the absolute worst signing of the summer is a loanee we got for very, very little" then.

People on this thread  :frantic:

They're made some very good signings, but they also made some poor ones, especially Gonzales which has been an utter disaster.  Meanwhile they left numerous holes in the squad while £12 or so million sat in the bank unused.  They also missed out on quite a few signings, and I'd hardly say Jiminez hoodwinked Mallorca into handing over Jonas for peanuts, they had no say in the matter.  But I congratulate them none the less for identifying him and acting quickly to sign him first.  In other words its been a very mixed bag IMO.

If he was a known  target we should of got him earlier on in the summer before he moved to Spain & not picked him up on loan on deadline day like an after thought.

If they wanted him, missed out, then had the chance to get him for 12 months, I can't see the problem tbh.

I don't think he was a target earlier on in the summer, we got him in because we needed bodies in & it was really late on deadline day.

Make your mind up :dontknow:

Sorry old bean for not coming  across clearer in my first post. I think we were after him from around about 10pmish on 31/08/08. BUT if the lad was any good we should of been bidding for him in the summer & signed him up on full time deal.

Not with his fucking injury record :lol:

So pathetic.

QFT. Ridiculous.

Any fucking thing I can do to stop this from turning into another Keegan fight.

Appreciated mate. If this was a boozer you'd have to walk on fucking eggshells though.

It'd be full of little cliques whispering to each other 'don't criticise KK to that lot over there'....................'don't mention Freddie to that old fella'....................shhhhhhh 'whatever you do, don't praise Ashley'.

:rolleyes:

Then on the youth side, we have Ranger, Soderberg, Kadar, Tozer, Baheng all young talents that seem markably better than what we have currently on the books.

Most of them were signed by Sam Allardyce, who had already sussed a major problem at reseve & youth level when most of the previous reserve team did not get new contracts with club & went straight to non league local football.

Worries the fuck out of me how much authority Kinnear is going to be given over incomings and outgoings tbh.

Hope the whole system that was put in place isn't completely thrown out like the proverbial baby with the bathwater, don't mind adjustments and exceptions to the rule but the system deserves a chance to be improved upon and kept in place. Buying and selling at the behest of one man, (with so many frequent managerial changes in effect making it several men all with different ideas), just serves to prevent the formation of the very thing we most require, a team.

i doubt we're paying too much for Nacho as he's not proven to the same lvel and i dont think we have an option to buy like the mackems do with Cisse. Nacho played 5 times in 6 months for Monaco so as you say it's likely Valencia wanted to 'break him in' over here. anyway it says something about the owner's level of investment that our much needed attacking midfield target happened to be a loanee from one of the weaker south american leagues.

Pisses me off no end what went down the few days either side of the end of August.

The system had a hell of a lot of merit. Would we need to spend more? Sure, but it's not like net spend is the be all end all of things. I wish I could look at it and blame Wise and Jimenez and say they fucked Keegan over.

But it's not the case IMO. We had a system that would have worked and really taken us places. A scouting team that could identify players and get them at a good price, and a manager who could put out a team that could win games and play good football.

But because 4 or 5 guys haven't got the maturity to work as a team, preferring instead to squabble over power, it all went down the shitter.

Now we've Joe Kinnear in charge and a club for sale that nobody wants.

Pretty much how I felt at the time.

Then on the youth side, we have Ranger, Soderberg, Kadar, Tozer, Baheng all young talents that seem markably better than what we have currently on the books.

Most of them were signed by Sam Allardyce, who had already sussed a major problem at reseve & youth level when most of the previous reserve team did not get new contracts with club & went straight to non league local football.

All but Ranger in fact. the Kadar deal was completed after allardyce left but all the groundwork for it had been done earlier, in fact Allardyce had wanted him at Bolton too. i wouldnt really include any of our youth signings, Ranger included, as something to glorify just yet. so far they've achieved nothing. you have to wait till they have established themselves in the first team until you can do that, and hopefully a fair few of them will.

All but Ranger in fact. the Kadar deal was completed after allardyce left but all the groundwork for it had been done earlier, in fact Allardyce had wanted him at Bolton too. i wouldnt really include any of our youth signings, Ranger included, as something to glorify just yet. so far they've achieved nothing. you have to wait till they have established themselves in the first team until you can do that, and hopefully a fair few of them will.

Soderberg was signed along with Fabio by JV/JT.

He had injury problems before that, why the fuck do you think they loaned him out?  To prove his fitness, and it blew up in their faces :doh:

Footballers get injuries :doh:

How would you compare their transfers over the summer, with say Allardyce's success in the market the summer previous?

Yes Footballers get injuries, doesn't change the fact that they signed a player with injury problems and got stung, they could have gone for a player who didn't have injury problems.

I'd say they did much better then Allardyce overall, Bassong, Coloccini and Gutierrez in particular were excellent signings and Guthrie was a good signing too.

Soderberg was signed along with Fabio by JV/JT.

Aye, i'm wrong onthat one. zamblera seems to have disappeared without a trace.

He had injury problems before that, why the f*** do you think they loaned him out? 

Because people at Valencia more than likely thought they were going to sell a few players, they didn't, so they loaned out there new signing because they have better players.

Or a combination of that and him having injury problems.

Guest icemanblue

Many geordies in this thread?

What has that got to do with anything?

A lot. I'd have thought that those with a real connection to the club and area wouldn't forgive so readily the massive fuck ups this lot presided over.

So pathetic.

QFT. Ridiculous.

Any f***ing thing I can do to stop this from turning into another Keegan fight.

I think it's sad you had to though, but fair enough.

We all know what Keegan has meant to the club and he has been shown a lot of love and appreciation in numerous other threads.

Considering all the abuse the recruitment team have got, it was cool to have an honest thread that recognised the very good work they have done.

But still people just couldn't quite bring themselves to just respect that, instead they start crying for Keegan to be included too.

I just think it's really silly.

i doubt we're paying too much for Nacho as he's not proven to the same lvel and i dont think we have an option to buy like the mackems do with Cisse. Nacho played 5 times in 6 months for Monaco so as you say it's likely Valencia wanted to 'break him in' over here. anyway it says something about the owner's level of investment that our much needed attacking midfield target happened to be a loanee from one of the weaker south american leagues.

I don't really have a problem with his signing, we went for a few other creative type midfielders and didn't have much luck so we brought someone in on loan for 12 months as a stop gap, if he turned out to be a good player then move to sign him up on a permanent deal but since he's been injured we haven't really lost anything, the way some people go on you would think they would be happier if we had forked out £7m or whatever it was Valencia paid for him to sign him up on a full time deal even though his injuries have made him a disappointment.

I'm interested to see what happens in January, if we can get in a left back and a centre midfielder to walk straight into the first team then it's been a really good season in terms of transfers as I can't remember the last time we would have signed 5 players that have gone into the first team and been a real improvement on the players they've replaced, net spend has never really bothered me as long of the players are of a good enough standard which Jonas, Colo and Bassong are, Guthrie isn't at their level but he's definitely got potential which is clear to see.

The window wasn't perfect and not every position that we needed to fill was filled, however it's a building job and as long as we get another 2 positions filled in January I won't have a problem.

Not sure how you can give Allardyce credit for Kadar when he trained with us under Roeder around the same time as he trained with Bolton.

He had injury problems before that, why the fuck do you think they loaned him out?  To prove his fitness, and it blew up in their faces :doh:

How would you compare their transfers over the summer, with say Allardyce's success in the market the summer previous?

Yes Footballers get injuries, doesn't change the fact that they signed a player with injury problems and got stung, they could have gone for a player who didn't have injury problems.

I'd say they did much better then Allardyce overall, Bassong, Coloccini and Gutierrez in particular were excellent signings and Guthrie was a good signing too.

To compare like for like then, Rozenhal, Cacapa, Geremi & Smith?

Many geordies in this thread?

What has that got to do with anything?

A lot. I'd have thought that those with a real connection to the club and area wouldn't forgive so readily the massive f*** ups this lot presided over.

Sure mate.

Heil, Keegan! http://fc25.deviantart.com/images2/i/2004/08/3/a/Nazi_Smiley.gif

To compare like for like then, Rozenhal, Cacapa, Geremi & Smith?

What's your point exactly?

Coloccini is our classiest since Albert tbh

He's not. Some fella who now plays for Spurs was much better and classier for us than Colo has been yet.

I would much rather a defender who stays fit and plays every game.....[fingers crossed] so far, then someone who breaks down every couple of games.I personally would have Colo any day over Woodgate.I cant remember seen a defender settle so quickly in our back four,esp considering how many times he has had a different centre back beside him.