The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

The fair thing would be to have a play off between Spurs and Chelsea. Winners in the CL, losers in Europa. Each gets a chance.

Only problem with that is it sort of degrades the Europa league i.e. 'you have lost, you must endure the horrors of the EUROPA LEAGUE' sort of thing.

just like us when we lost to partizan on pens? or everton when they lost to villareal in the 3rd qualifying round?

There's no difference to finishing 4th and missing out on Champions League due to unexpected European results, to finishing 6th and missing Europa League. It's tough s*** basically.

a s*** rule relating to 2 competitions is still a s*** rule

It's not a s*** rule though. You know at the beginning that there's 4 places for the Champions League and 3 places for Europa League. You know the criteria for getting in to both from day one of the season.

Eh? There's only one league place for the Europa League. It's completely different.

And there's only 4 places for the Champions League, doesn't state that 4th place automatically gets it but you assume that the winner comes from that 4...which happens most of the time as well with at least one of the cups so finishing 6th is 95% of the time a safe assumption that you'll be in Europe.

not quite the same though - when you look at league tables throughtout the season, the vast majority will have a dotted line under the 4th team respresenting the CL teams and another under the 5th team representing the EL team. the other 2 places are for the cups, and if the winners/finalists are already in europe they will go down to the next best placed league team.

The fair thing would be to have a play off between Spurs and Chelsea. Winners in the CL, losers in Europa. Each gets a chance.

Only problem with that is it sort of degrades the Europa league i.e. 'you have lost, you must endure the horrors of the EUROPA LEAGUE' sort of thing.

just like us when we lost to partizan on pens? or everton when they lost to villareal in the 3rd qualifying round?

don't like that at all or the losers in the group stage going into el knockout stage, just degrades what has the potential to be a fun tournament, hell look at this seasons one with bilbao wowing everyone.

Frankly the attitude among the english media in particular towards the el is sickening at how they utterly disregard it as a waste of time and that you'd be better off just competing for the joy of finishing 11th than go for it in the Europa League

that's actually the most sensible suggestion i've heard yet

Personally, I'd say the fairest thing is sticking to the rules that have been in place all season.

that's actually the most sensible suggestion i've heard yet

Personally, I'd say the fairest thing is sticking to the rules that have been in place all season.

well aye, i don't mean changing it now i mean thinking of something that isn't total shite for the future

seems to me they took the easy option when it happened with liverpool not really expecting it to happen again

Guest magpie99

The idea of a play off at wembley between Chelsea and Spurs would be a great idea but I would hazard a guess that UEFA wouldnt even consider it as they hate change of any sort.

I feel sorry for Spurs fans but they knew it was a possibility, just like we would have done if we had finished 4th. Their biggest problem is that they had 3rd spot sewn up 3 months ago and blew it big time. Due to this, their expectations should have been lowered.

It´s always been the case (since 2006) that it is the top 3, of the four spots, in England that´s guaranteed a place in CL. Then the last spot is between a case like this or goes to the forth team. Yes. Really, really, really bad luck for Tottenham this year that misses out even if they are forth since this probably happens every 20 years or so. BUT what´s the problem? Everyone knew this could happen. It´s exactly the same with the places for the EL when we have cup winners etc etc. I don´t hear it´s bud luck if you finish six and misses out because cup winners are taking the places, for example.

Whoever wins CL should be able to defend the trophy imo.

I agree, but if they finish outside the automatic qualifying positions in their own country they should start at the first qualifying round.  That seems fair to me and wouldn't be too difficult to organise.

I also think the Europa League Champ should get a place, anything to inject a bit more life into that competition would be welcome.

Whoever wins CL should be able to defend the trophy imo.

I agree, but if they finish outside the automatic qualifying positions in their own country they should start at the first qualifying round.  That seems fair to me and wouldn't be too difficult to organise.

I also think the Europa League Champ should get a place, anything to inject a bit more life into that competition would be welcome.

Now, that´s a good idea. I don´t think the third placed teams in the group stage at CL should get in to the EL´s knock out stage since it brings a real loser tag at the EL. But everyone knows that EL is an underdog tournament to CL so make the champions go to the CL would only make every team more serious.

That and take some money from CL to the EL would be the ultimatum for me.

I've always thought there to be serious potential in the Europe League. There's no amount of good "second tier" teams out there to make it a really good tournament.

The problem is that most clubs need an extra incentive to winning it, as I think its seen as more effort than its worth. It's like the carling cup of Europe.

I'd fucking love to win it.

As much as it would have hurt had we finished it in 4th, that rule was in place at the start of the season. Had Spurs been downgraded as an afterthought then there would be an injustice to it all. Harsh on Spurs but action to this scenario has now been in place for a number of seasons.

If 'Arry hadn't been dreaming of managing England ever since Fabio was sacked they would have pissed third.

It's a bummer for Spurs but they should never have been in this position in the first place.

Guest guinness_fiend

As much as it would have hurt had we finished it in 4th, that rule was in place at the start of the season. Had Spurs been downgraded as an afterthought then there would be an injustice to it all. Harsh on Spurs but action to this scenario has now been in place for a number of seasons.

As was the rule that the winner automatically qualifies, was it not?

Guest neesy111

Will they be forced to sell Bale and Modric?

We should start blabbling about their contracts to local reporters and have SNN there as well.

Spurs financially are in excellent shape, so no need to sell anyone..... but they'll both want to leave imo.  2 years without CL football for them now.

It´s always been the case (since 2006) that it is the top 3, of the four spots, in England that´s guaranteed a place in CL. Then the last spot is between a case like this or goes to the forth team. Yes. Really, really, really bad luck for Tottenham this year that misses out even if they are forth since this probably happens every 20 years or so. BUT what´s the problem? Everyone knew this could happen. It´s exactly the same with the places for the EL when we have cup winners etc etc. I don´t hear it´s bud luck if you finish six and misses out because cup winners are taking the places, for example.

This.

In essence, England has three and a half CL places (three guarenteed, one playoff spot. This is how FIFA counts World Cup qualifications, for example). In fact with Chelsea winning the CL they have increased this allocation to four places, so they ARE taking a place (half a place anyway) from someone in order the allow the European Champions defend their title.

I can get that Tottenham are disappointed. Maybe they should point their complaints at Liverpool FC...?

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor is in talks with Tottenham Hotspur over making his loan deal permanent.

Adebayor has enjoyed a prolific season at the north London club, scoring 17 goals in 33 appearances.

The Togo international played a key part in Tottenham's top-four finish.

Adebayor said on Twitter: "Loved my spell at Tottenham, we are working hard with the chairman to make it permanent. Will keep you informed!!"

I'm certain that Spurs will sell at least one of Modric/Bale. Even though they are in good financial position, i think Harry would prefer to have the money to spend.

I've always thought there to be serious potential in the Europe League. There's no amount of good "second tier" teams out there to make it a really good tournament.

The problem is that most clubs need an extra incentive to winning it, as I think its seen as more effort than its worth. It's like the carling cup of Europe.

I'd f***ing love to win it.

The winner of the Europa League should qualify for the next season's Champions League imo. Every team would go for it then.