The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

Guest guinness_fiend

As far as I am concerned, the winner should automatically qualify for next year's tournament.  It just feels right to me.

As far as I am concerned, the winner should automatically qualify for next year's tournament.  It just feels right to me.

I'm not sure it does for me, if you win olympic gold it doesn't automatically mean you are in the final next time.  And in fact  can't think of many sports whereby winning means you automatically qualify for the folowing competition (cue replies to prove me wrong).

If for example disaster strikes and a team goes into administration (not so far fetched) loses its managers and all it's best players, would they therefore be in the CL because the club won it the year before?

It should be based on league performance the previous season for me.

same, wasn't happy when they changed the WC tbh - load of shite that

when someone wins the heavyweight boxing championship they don't have to fight their way back to be able to defend it - that's the point of winning it in the first place

same, wasn't happy when they changed the WC tbh - load of s**** that

when someone wins the heavyweight boxing championship they don't have to fight their way back to be able to defend it - that's the point of winning it in the first place

is it ? i always thought the point was so whoever could say they are the best. i never knew people won titles in order to get qualification for next time round.

Guest Roger Kint

same, wasn't happy when they changed the WC tbh - load of shite that

Exactly my feelings.

is it ? i always thought the point was so whoever could say they are the best. i never knew people won titles in order to get qualification for next time round.

well it's to get to the top, to be the best is what i mean...it should be up to other teams (or boxers using the example) to dethrone you not for you to have to start at the beginning again to prove yourself

well it's to get to the top, to be the best is what i mean...it should be up to other teams (or boxers using the example) to dethrone you not for you to have to start at the beginning again to prove yourself

If you were the best, you'd have no trouble qualifying through the league. :dontknow:

If you were the best, you'd have no trouble qualifying through the league. :dontknow:

agree, again same principle if you're the best boxer you'd have no problem beating 5 other fighters for the right to defend your title would you?  there should be some fucking prestige and status that comes with winning the WC and honestly that should include the automatic right to defend it, it's as simple as that

Guest Phil K

Thats not happening though is it ?  Already press and media europe and here are trying to say Chelsea only won it due to luck. Which is utter crap. Even "Barcelona are real champions" which is even more ridiculous.

Same with qualification. Defending champions are a draw whoever they are. Can you beat reigning champs ?

No reigning champs, less appeal.

But this is all Liverpools fault. After their demands they should qualify as holders when finishing 5th.

If defending the trophy is so important, how come none of the UEFA Cup/Europa League winners who've subsequently qualified for the Champions League have dropped out of the latter to defend the former?

I can get that Tottenham are disappointed. Maybe they should point their complaints at Everton FC...?

FYP.

The FA/UEFA  in 2005 should've just stuck to the precedent that was set in 2000 when Real Madrid won and finished 5th, where Zaragoza got knocked down to the UEFA Cup.

That was the Spanish FA's decision. Each country was responsible for nominating its representatives in CL competition, there was no specific rule on it and if we followed every precedent set by the Spanish authorities re: Real Madrid then our game would be in a very sorry state.

The FA did the right thing and chose us as the 4th placed team over the whole season. Liverpool refused to accept that, spat their dummy out and lobbied UEFA for special dispensation. This eventually forced the whole rules of the competition to be changed so that CL winners are guaranteed a spot. Quite how that's Everton's fault is beyond me.

Absolutely - which is why I pointed the finger of blame at Liverpool rather than Everton in that instance. At the time, the FA nominated teams and didn't have the little asterisk with the fine print that sees Chelsea climbing over Spuds to get into next year's competition.

I think the issue is more they can't/won't pay his massive wages unless he's a free

He won't be free but there are ways to get around his wages as Ade wants the high wages to maintain his charitable work in Togo, Spurs could make charitable donations and preserve the wage structure.  At least City and Spurs are still talking about a deal.

Being said  in Amsterdam that Ajax and Spurs have now agreed a fee for Vertonghen.  Levy was in Hamburg yesterday taking to Leandro's agent (again).  Most unlike Spurs, not leaving till the last day of the window.

Jol is the internet forum equivalent of the local nutter every town/city has that walks around town talking to himself.

'Yeah spurs are interested in so and so, oh right, yeah, ah good stuff, don't let them stare at you in the eyes, don't worry they aren't looking at you, they have gone now, so what else you heard? ah that's good always liked him, yeah we are in talks apparently, want some food, no not yet, maybe later, yeah apparently Levy flew to Germany yesterday, know how the U13s are going, apparently new towels in the training ground, tea still being served by Doris, yeah good, they're looking at me aren't they?'