The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

Van Persie is going to be nothing like he was last season, so forget that. The football isn't the same. He'll have the odd thrilling performance, but it's not going to be consistent.

As far all that extra running and physical training they're supposedly doing at man U now? Well I can see the guys body starting to give out like it used to back in the day.

Nice seeing you at your best the last couple of seasons Robin. It was a pleasure.

The biggest difference between Spurs and the usual title challengers is mental.

Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City have been there and done that but Spurs squad is full of either kids or players who haven't won anything.

That will make a big impact as the season goes on.

Do you think players like Lloris, Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado, Paulinho, etc, give two fucks about the other three having more title experience? Most of their players have competed for titles already, as has Villas Boas. If they're good enough and adapt to the league they'll go close to the title imo, don't think mentality will have a baring.

Leffe - thoughts on the above comments? You don't have to be overly modest either. O0

I sense a trap :lol:.

I don't really buy this mentality thing. As Optimistic Nut suggests, there might be such an inferiority complex among players like Dawson, Lennon and Defoe, but if everybody is fit then they are on the bench. The key players are new. There is certainly an inferiority complex in the stands, but we can come to terms with that. My favourite indicator of our mentality came from the reaction to the Cardiff goal - did you see the celebrations by the players? They all know what it meant, and the togetherness was tangible, and a testament to AVB I think.

Lest we forget, we have lost the only game we have played against really good opposition so far. However, I still take heart in the manner of that defeat. When we beat Arsenal at home last year, we did it by suckering them - we sat back, absorbed pressure, then hit them with quick moves. This season's game was the other way around, and I think that's actually a positive for us. The Cardiff game was remarkable because we were missing our one position that has no orthodox cover(LB), the other player on that side was disappointing, and Lamela is still being integrated. Yet we were really, really good, and the game was a stark contrast to Man City's performance in Cardiff. We just took complete control.

We have a particular way of playing, and we are gradually acquiring the players to fit. If we could only swap Adebayor for someone who isn't bonkers, then I'd be more confident. There are potential injury issues - as there are with everyone - but only one or two positions have limited cover. A lot will depend upon Eriksen, but the fact that he's hit the ground running is a huge break for us. Much will depend upon AVB's approach to the cups and resting players.

The Chelsea game will tell us an awful lot. If we are capable of controlling possession for long periods - even if we lose - then I will be very, very optimistic for the season.

Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City have been there and done that but Spurs squad is full of either kids or players who haven't won anything.

Do you think players like Lloris, Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado, Paulinho, etc, give two f***s about the other three having more title experience? Most of their players have competed for titles already, as has Villas Boas. If they're good enough and adapt to the league they'll go close to the title imo, don't think mentality will have a baring.

Did i say they cared? but the lack of experience compared to the usual lot is vast and it will tell.

You'll never win anything with kids.

Leffe - thoughts on the above comments? You don't have to be overly modest either. O0

I sense a trap :lol:.

I don't really buy this mentality thing. As Optimistic Nut suggests, there might be such an inferiority complex among players like Dawson, Lennon and Defoe, but if everybody is fit then they are on the bench. The key players are new. There is certainly an inferiority complex in the stands, but we can come to terms with that. My favourite indicator of our mentality came from the reaction to the Cardiff goal - did you see the celebrations by the players? They all know what it meant, and the togetherness was tangible, and a testament to AVB I think.

Lest we forget, we have lost the only game we have played against really good opposition so far. However, I still take heart in the manner of that defeat. When we beat Arsenal at home last year, we did it by suckering them - we sat back, absorbed pressure, then hit them with quick moves. This season's game was the other way around, and I think that's actually a positive for us. The Cardiff game was remarkable because we were missing our one position that has no orthodox cover(LB), the other player on that side was disappointing, and Lamela is still being integrated. Yet we were really, really good, and the game was a stark contrast to Man City's performance in Cardiff. We just took complete control.

We have a particular way of playing, and we are gradually acquiring the players to fit. If we could only swap Adebayor for someone who isn't bonkers, then I'd be more confident. There are potential injury issues - as there are with everyone - but only one or two positions have limited cover. A lot will depend upon Eriksen, but the fact that he's hit the ground running is a huge break for us. Much will depend upon AVB's approach to the cups and resting players.

The Chelsea game will tell us an awful lot. If we are capable of controlling possession for long periods - even if we lose - then I will be very, very optimistic for the season.

:hmm:

Agreed. I reckon Arsenal and Chelsea have an advantage over the rest with their managers experience. City too as most of their players have won the league too.

AVB takes the Europa League seriously too which would be a factor.

If Arsenal can sign another striker or maybe another CB, they'll come very close to winning it or actually win it. I think Arsene has a huge advantage over everybody else. His team is settled and he's only adding in pockets of class.

Of course. But so far the signs are they have the toughness to go with the immense talent their squad has, the win at Cardiff being a prime example. Old Spurs might have drawn that, even lost 1-0 and claimed bad luck. As it is, they kept creating chances and quality - again - told.

I think Man Utd will recover but it really is Van Persie or nothing for them. If he's in form, he'll carry Man Utd to a decent-ish season. If he gets injured or doesn't score with such consistency, they're in big trouble.

Also, let's not get caught up in the mystical notion Man Utd's defence is vastly superior to Spurs - something I've seen inferred a few times recently. As though just because Spurs are good to watch, they must automatically have a leaky defence.

Spurs have conceded 1 goal in 8 games. Man Utd have conceded 8 in 7. Granted, Man Utd have had harder games, but the point clearly stands.

How many goals have Spurs scored from open play? A handful. As things get more difficult in March/April/May teams need fire power. The team that scores the most goals in the league win the PL more often than the strongest defence.

Agreed. I reckon Arsenal and Chelsea have an advantage over the rest with their managers experience. City too as most of their players have won the league too.

AVB takes the Europa League seriously too which would be a factor.

If Arsenal can sign another striker or maybe another CB, they'll come very close to winning it or actually win it. I think Arsene has a huge advantage over everybody else. His team is settled and he's only adding in pockets of class.

I agree about Arsenal. Giroud has really improved and whilst they could have done with buying another striker, his form could make a big difference. There's no-one better than Wenger at bringing out the best in individual players.

Do you think players like Lloris, Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado, Paulinho, etc, give two f***s about the other three having more title experience? Most of their players have competed for titles already, as has Villas Boas. If they're good enough and adapt to the league they'll go close to the title imo, don't think mentality will have a baring.

Sorry, this is a bigger stage. Lamela and Erikson are kids. Anita's done everything Erikson has (less caps though) and he would find it difficult in a title run-up. Soldado's not scored from open play yet and hasn't won very much in his career as the main man. Lloris aye, strikes me as a leader.

I don't see Spurs winning the league at all. Like the previous 2 seasons they'll tie-up near the finishing line but the difference will be they'll finish in the top 4 most likely.

When things get difficult (in atitle challenge) you need goal scorers and people that have been there and done that. Spurs as a club haven't done that. They haven't even gotten over the Arsenal hump yet.

I still maintain that Spurs will never finish above Arsenal as long as Wenger is manager. As a club, they get too nervous when they get close to achieving it. They've had the better side on paper for at least 2 seasons now.

IMO get over the Arsenal hump this year/qualify for the Champions League. Then next year I can see a real title challenge and maybe winning it.

Chelsea/City/Arsenal finished 2nd/2nd/3rd I believe before they won the PL for the first time.

Yes i believe its important to actually be in the race before you win it, don't necessarily have to win the thing but the experience of being part of a title race puts you in good stead for the following season.

About Arsenal i think they could challenge but the lack depth for me in key areas, sure Giroud is scoring at the moment and will probably will continue to do  so with that creativity behind him. But the problem is what happens if he gets injured? who do Arsenal turn to? they don't really have anyone.

That and a lack of depth at the back will hurt them IMO, its a year too early for them personally as it is with Spurs really.

It will still be a lot closer than it has for years mind, but i still see City taking it.

IMO you need a regular goalscorer to win the league unless your defence is water tight.

I've said this a few times. Arsenal had 4 players score 10 league goals or more last season, more than any team in PL history. Walcott, Podolski & Cazorla (and now Ramsey) can be relied upon to share some goals for a few games. Injuries will of course play a factor. If they can keep all 4 forward type players fit, they should be okay for goals. But you would like another out and out forward as an option no doubt.

I think it's more of an issue at the back. Sagna's been okay there I suppose but that can't be a serious option. They need to sell Vermaelen and bring in a better back-up CB.

Can see Arsene winning the league this year, calling it a day at Arsenal, flip the finger to the media, then manage France or someone.

Clearly. He's admitted he was totally wrong about Ramsey to be fair to him.

He wasn't wrong, Ramsey was awful last season.

Don't think anyone expected him to suddenly look like one of the best midfielders in the league.

Yes he was wrong, he wanted Ramsey sold. He didn't question just Ramsey's form, he questioned his whole ability as a footballer, to say he wasn't wrong is wrong in itself.

Don't think anyone expected him to suddenly look like one of the best midfielders in the league.

Ben Arfa was awful when he came back from injury and couldn't find form, too. You don't write your own players off when they've proven to be very effective pre-injury.

Ben Arfa was awful when he came back from injury and couldn't find form, too. You don't write your own players off when they've proven to be very effective pre-injury.

:thup:

Not often i agree with Ronaldo but he's spot on here.