Owen's replacement

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest The German

Marc Janko from Austria. Scored 30 goals in 18 matches so far this season...

Ibisevic scored 18 goals in 17 with  7 assists in the German Bundesliga tbh. Sign him! Fact!

Better than that guy from Stuttgart? Gomez? Cause he really sucked in the euros...

Gomez would cost much more like. He sucked at euros but he is still world class. Stuttgart rejected and 40 million euros bid for him last summer from Barcelona so we don't have to think about signing him!

Tbh i wouldn't want him even if we could get him, no offense but there are about 10 strikers i would rather have...

Gomez: In 105 Bundesliga and DFB Pokal Matches he scored 56 Times with 18 assists (31 times he was a substitute)

He's worth his money!!!

Markus Rosenberg has scored something like 25 goals in 50 matches for Werder Bremen (if the stats on wikipedia are correct)

Not saying that he's as good as Gomez or even near. But i dont think you can compare goals/game ratio in Bundesliga with the EPL to name one...

40 million euros?? Is that official?? Sounds way too much for him imo..

1. Rosenberg scored 33 times with 16 assists in 65 matches for Werder Bremen in Bundesliga and DFB Pokal

2. Yes this was official somewhere this is truely!

Players we've been linked with:

Deriydok

Saviola

Gomez

Gomis

Fabiano

Fred(?)

Zaki

Baptista

Diane

Id take any of them, I'd also consider Podolski and Heskey. If Eto'o was considering a move to Spurs, i cant see why he wouldnt consider Nufc.

Deluded, moi?

Guest The German

Deriydok

Saviola

Gomez

Gomis

Fabiano

Fred(?)

Zaki

Baptista

Diane

Id take any of them, I'd also consider Podolski and Heskey. If Eto'o was considering a move to Spurs, i cant see why he wouldnt consider Nufc.

Deluded, moi?

Last 4 Years:

Derdiyok: 49 Matches (Axpo Super League) - 12 Goals, 11 Assists

Saviola: 62 Matches (Liga BBVA) - 18 Goals, 1 Assist

Gomez: 96 Matches (1. Bundesliga) - 46 Goals, 17 Assists

Gomis: 117 Matches (Ligue 1) - 33 Goals, 11 Assists

Fabiano: 88 Matches (Liga BBVA) - 41 Goals, 2 Assists

Fred: 81 Matches (Ligue 1) - 34 Goals, 8 Assists

Zaki: 14 Matches (Premier League) - 8 Goals, 1 Assist

Baptista: 94 Matches (Liga BBVA, Premier League, Serie A) - 16 Goals, 6 Assists

Diane: Who?

Deriydok

Saviola

Gomez

Gomis

Fabiano

Fred(?)

Zaki

Baptista

Diane

Deluded, moi?

Last 4 Years:

All of them except Baptista, Gomez and Fabiano seem obtainable and/or 'desirable' to me. Diane is a lad who plays/ed for PSG i think, were linked with him during the same time as we were linked to Gomis, he mentioned us in some quotes.

As i suggested yesterday, if we are looking for potentially brilliant players at low prices then i'd sign Derbyshire.

If we have the money there are alot of other good targets.

I haven't seen anything of Derbyshire. What kind of striker is he? What is he good/less good at? Size? Pace?

To be honest, I really trust our scouting team to come up with someone when the time comes. Won't judge them on Xisco.

I'd like to see what Ibisevic is like in a year or if he's just having one of those seasons. Such a goalscorer so far this season. Otherwise I'd still like us to buy Jose Paolo Guerrero from Hamburg.

Deriydok

Saviola

Gomez

Gomis

Fabiano

Fred(?)

Zaki

Baptista

Diane

Deluded, moi?

Last 4 Years:

Where do you find stats for players?

See i want to know if we are possibly over thinking this whole Owen situation, I think possilby we are either overrating Martins or underrating Owen becasue to me (without looking) there stats are essentially identical.

It comes down o this old argument of Owens input for the side; his saving grace is that he is a 1 in 2 strker but would i be worng to say that Martins is essentially a 1 in 2 striker if we add his assist stats to his goals.

Genereally speaking, when it comes to a team result, is there any difference between a striker who scores 25 out of 50 games and a striker who scores 10 but creates 15 in the same number of games?

Just a different spin on things.

I hate the Owen vs Martins debate.

To be honest - im not trying to start this debate (although its a shame that i have to start any topic on an internet forum with any trepidation) all im doing is actually trying to highlight the value of stats.

When you look at the stats earlier in this thread on soem of the players, i think a lot of people dont take assists into as much consideration and therefore consider someone like Derikdok (12 in 49) as a 1 in 4 striker, which doesnt look impressive, but when you take stats into account he's effectivey a better than a 1 in 2 striker (33 team goals in 49).

Its a just a different way of looking things and actually highlights the the fact that its a bit of red herring and cliche when we harp on about a 1 in 2 striekr. I think we attach more importance than is actually required to that particular stat.

It might actually put this OWen thing into a bit of perspective and give some people a differnt angle on the whole situaiton.

(Note this has no agenda behind it whatsoever and is a genuine point)

To be honest - im not trying to start this debate (although its a shame that i have to start any topic on an internet forum with any trepidation) all im doing is actually trying to highlight the value of stats.

When you look at the stats earlier in this thread on soem of the players, i think a lot of people dont take assists into as much consideration and therefore consider someone like Derikdok (12 in 49) as a 1 in 4 striker, which doesnt look impressive, but when you take stats into account he's effectivey a better than a 1 in 2 striker (33 team goals in 49).

Its a just a different way of looking things and actually highlights the the fact that its a bit of red herring and cliche when we harp on about a 1 in 2 striekr. I think we attach more importance than is actually required to that particular stat.

It might actually put this OWen thing into a bit of perspective and give some people a differnt angle on the whole situaiton.

Oh I'm not saying it's not a good debate to have, man. It just always descends into how poor Oba's touch/movement is, and how slow Owen is etc etc etc etc. People focus on the negatives instead of the qualities both of them bring to our team.

FWIW I'm really split on whether an out-and-out striker like Owen still has as much worth in the modern game. Sometimes I look at the top teams and our games when we need something a bit different and assume not, but then when he wins us a game after doing fuck all for 89 other minutes I change my mind.

We can replace Owen in different ways imo.

He provides goals, but so do other types of players.

I think a goalscoring attacking mid for the £10m mark with any half decent target man to play for him and Martins would be even better than Owen staying.

Two little men never work correctly unless they are both supreme, lets play on Martins pace with intelligence and technique in a big frame and we'd have the best balance upfront since Shearer & Bellamy.

Losing Owen can just be a change in direction rather than the end of something.

Oh I'm not saying it's not a good debate to have, man. It just always descends into how poor Oba's touch/movement is, and how slow Owen is etc etc etc etc. People focus on the negatives instead of the qualities both of them bring to our team.

FWIW I'm really split on whether an out-and-out striker like Owen still has as much worth in the modern game. Sometimes I look at the top teams and our games when we need something a bit different and assume not, but then when he wins us a game after doing fuck all for 89 other minutes I change my mind.

Agreed, is a tricky subject to behonest, its kind of a "Eureka moment" for me, ive been having the same thoughts myself and thought about his importance to the team with respect to his contract situation and how important his goals are, ive never actually considered the imporantce of assists when assesing how good a striker is, for me, its equal to goals scored.

I see your point fredbob, but I think it's easier to find another striker who'd score 10 and make 15, than what it is to find a striker who gets 25.

I dont see why thats a bad thing, im essentailly saying that effectively they're the same stats.