Owen's replacement

Guest sicko2ndbest

Can someone explain to me the frankly ludicrous obsession with Dean Ashton?

His injury record is farcical.

I've fancied him since his crewe days :smitten:

I remember praising carrick back then too, and most people saying they'd never take him, look at him now :lol:

Newcastle United are NOT in a position to replace Owen as an individual ; to sign someone who scores on a ratio of 1 in 2 games would cost a fortune and the player - if one exists - would not join a second-rate Prem club with a reputation for controversy and failure.

When Lee sold Supermac to Arsenal, he wanted to replace him with Trevor Francis(at Birmingham and a young player at the time).This would have meant adding to the 333,333 pounds that NUFC received for Macdonald, and the board refused to do it - this was why Lee left for Everton the following January.

However, Lee DID manage to keep NUFC in the higher reaches of Div 1, and even after he left, the club still managed to qualify for Europe, although everything went downhill after that under Dinnis.

The reason Lee was able to prevent the club suffering after Supermac left was that he was able to motivate the rest of the side to 'cover' for Macdonald's goals ; Burns and Gowling were decent goalscorers in their own right, and Paul Cannell was able to get a reasonable return because these 2 kept the weight off him.

Once the Board stopped backing Dinnis as manager, and the players started to protest, the whole thing went to rats--t, and the club were relegated.....

The message is that if you have a decent all round side, and you can bring in a player who will have a certain amount of skill, you can make up for the loss of a player like Owen/Macdonald ; my problem with the current situation is that I do not believe NUFC will be able to replace Owen either within the squad or from outside in their current predicament.

In my opinion, those who expect Martins to replace Owen's goals are living in cuckoo-land - he WON'T. It

will be a really tough job to obtain a player who gets goals regularly, and the best option is to get a player like Diego(although NUFC would not be his choice at present)who can get goals from midfield...unfortunately, this type of player also needs a decent target man to feed off - he would have been a wow playing behind Shearer and Bellamy, for example.

I do not envy whoever has to choose a replacement for Owen, and after watching him at Euro 2008, Gomis would not be a contender.

Newcastle United are NOT in a position to replace Owen as an individual ; to sign someone who scores on a ratio of 1 in 2 games would cost a fortune and the player - if one exists - would not join a second-rate Prem club with a reputation for controversy and failure.

When Lee sold Supermac to Arsenal, he wanted to replace him with Trevor Francis(at Birmingham and a young player at the time).This would have meant adding to the 333,333 pounds that NUFC received for Macdonald, and the board refused to do it - this was why Lee left for Everton the following January.

However, Lee DID manage to keep NUFC in the higher reaches of Div 1, and even after he left, the club still managed to qualify for Europe, although everything went downhill after that under Dinnis.

The reason Lee was able to prevent the club suffering after Supermac left was that he was able to motivate the rest of the side to 'cover' for Macdonald's goals ; Burns and Gowling were decent goalscorers in their own right, and Paul Cannell was able to get a reasonable return because these 2 kept the weight off him.

Once the Board stopped backing Dinnis as manager, and the players started to protest, the whole thing went to rats--t, and the club were relegated.....

The message is that if you have a decent all round side, and you can bring in a player who will have a certain amount of skill, you can make up for the loss of a player like Owen/Macdonald ; my problem with the current situation is that I do not believe NUFC will be able to replace Owen either within the squad or from outside in their current predicament.

In my opinion, those who expect Martins to replace Owen's goals are living in cuckoo-land - he WON'T. It

will be a really tough job to obtain a player who gets goals regularly, and the best option is to get a player like Diego(although NUFC would not be his choice at present)who can get goals from midfield...unfortunately, this type of player also needs a decent target man to feed off - he would have been a wow playing behind Shearer and Bellamy, for example.

I do not envy whoever has to choose a replacement for Owen, and after watching him at Euro 2008, Gomis would not be a contender.

i wonder what kind of mind that have there... very pessimists and sound like owen bitch.

martin can't replace owen goals? where have you sleeping all this time along?

it is a FACT martin goal much more than owen isn't it...? and it's about time also martin being NUFC 1 st main striker.

if owen doesn't assured to be stay.. why holding him?

as for my concern NUFC is more important than owen sake...

tough job to obtain a player who get goals regularly? so why regularly premiership has always new rising striker in each season?

why new rising striker never been on our team.... ahhh i guess it because this all along we have been to much "nice" to owen... which our general play was to support him :doh:

let face the fact our owen wasn't the younger owen...

i can bet my arse now if owen can be 1st premiership goal scorers.

club already offer him contract and he delay it...

for him doing that is good business. but for NUFC as whole club is bad business...

Good post, like the historical aspect.

i wonder what kind of mind that have there... very pessimists and sound like owen bitch.

it is a FACT martin goal much more than owen isn't it...? and it's about time also martin being NUFC 1 st main striker.

tough job to obtain a player who get goals regularly? so why regularly premiership has always new rising striker in each season?

why new rising striker never been on our team.... ahhh i guess it because this all along we have been to much "nice" to owen... which our general play was to support him :doh:

for him doing that is good business. but for NUFC as whole club is bad business...

martins scores nowhere near the same ratio of goals

why hold on to owen ?....right now he could be the difference between going down/stopping up

why new rising striker never been in our team ?   why no creative midfielder/full back etc...because the players the club have brought through have been not good enough...how many have gone elsewhere and proved us wrong ?

bet yor arse on owen ? similarly on martins.

as for the contract...totally understandable.

merlins post. last sentence....that means you wouldn't want mario gomez or any of the french team ?

"martins scores nowhere near the same ratio of goals"

Aye but Martin hasn't been out injured for two years.

People keep going on about Owen's scoring ratio but playing the number of games he has in the time he's been here is just freaky.

I wonder what kind of mind YOU have there - whatever it is, it doesn't live on this planet - though you are, of course, entitled to your opinion...

Come back in 20 years' time, when you have seen what I have seen in Football - and especially, NUFC...

By the way, who is the 'rising striker in the Prem' THIS year...!???

What a cracking post.

martins scores nowhere near the same ratio of goals

why hold on to owen ?....right now he could be the difference between going down/stopping up

why new rising striker never been in our team ?   why no creative midfielder/full back etc...because the players the club have brought through have been not good enough...how many have gone elsewhere and proved us wrong ?

bet yor arse on owen ? similarly on martins.

as for the contract...totally understandable.

merlins post. last sentence....that means you wouldn't want mario gomez or any of the french team ?

No Madras, that doesn't mean that ANY of the French team would be ruled out - that would be like ruling out Johan Neeskens(or Cruyff) after Holland failed to win the WC in 74 & 78 - I meant that if I was choosing a STRIKER, I wouldn't pick Gomis after his INDIVIDUAL performance.

In any case, the best striker at Euro 08 was Van Nistelroy - and yes, I would have him, but he's getting on a bit now.

People keep going on about Owen's scoring ratio but playing the number of games he has in the time he's been here is just freaky.

Absolutely.

People can go on about his goals ratio as much as they like but until now he's never scored more than 11 league goals in a season for us.

Absolutely.

People can go on about his goals ratio as much as they like but until now he's never scored more than 11 league goals in a season for us.

Nor has Oba

Absolutely.

Nor has Oba

I didn't say he had.

Absolutely.

Nor has Oba

I didn't say he had.

I never said you had.

Absolutely.

Nor has Oba

I didn't say he had.

I never said you had.

Good.

Absolutely.

Nor has Oba

I didn't say he had.

I never said you had.

Good.

No problem.

Said this earlier in the thread but Martins is more than capable of replacing Owen as a player. This "1 in 2" business is a cliche and a bit of a red herring, Dave made a good post about it being better for the team if a striker has more than just a good goal ratio to the side becasue it gives us an extra dimension on the field.

A team with 4 players able to create (2 wingers and 2 strikers, will create more chances than a team with 3 players able to create, and more chances mean more goals)

Martins goal scoring record isnt bad, but if you add the assists to the number of goals hes scored then you do get a similar ratio of input to team goals as owen.

Owen is responsilbe for 28 goals and 1 assit - 29 goals in 62 appereances.

Martins is responsible for 33 goals and 7 assists - 40 goals in 88 appearences .

I dont see much difference here, i think id rather have 2 martins up front than 2 Owens.

I think its a case of Owen being overated or a case of Martins being underated particulary because his lack of on field inteeligence and his sporadic technique, either way both players have very very similar inputs for the side in terms of goals.