Owen's replacement

Guest sicko2ndbest

I seriously think Pompey are going to struggle for the rest of the season and will be down there. We should finish well above them and imo Defoe fits this bill. If we got him id be over the moon, but as TT says an attacking midfielder who creates would be just as key, one of those and a few mill on Crouch instead of Defoe to save abit of cash might be a good move.

I see your point fredbob, but I think it's easier to find another striker who'd score 10 and make 15, than what it is to find a striker who gets 25.

I dont see why thats a bad thing, im essentailly saying that effectively they're the same stats.

The difference is that if those 15 goals are scored by other players it means we are a totally different proposition for opposing teams. Threat from all over the park instead of just via Plan A. We might only score the same 25 goals but I think the chances are pretty slim if we had three or four players all capable of scoring goals. Ie we'd more than likely score more.

We can replace Owen in different ways imo.

He provides goals, but so do other types of players.

I think a goalscoring attacking mid for the £10m mark with any half decent target man to play for him and Martins would be even better than Owen staying.

Two little men never work correctly unless they are both supreme, lets play on Martins pace with intelligence and technique in a big frame and we'd have the best balance upfront since Shearer & Bellamy.

Losing Owen can just be a change in direction rather than the end of something.

Id love that but i actully think they're the hardest type of players to sign, they;re arguably the most talent and gifted players on the pitch because they're game is so natural and cerebral.

I actually think the Martins Owen combination was working ok, i was surpirsed at how different they games actually are and how little they actually take the same positions. The balance still isnt right becasue with them we are missing 2 things, aerial ability and a decent hold up and link up play.

The bit in bold i agree with massively.

I see your point fredbob, but I think it's easier to find another striker who'd score 10 and make 15, than what it is to find a striker who gets 25.

I dont see why thats a bad thing, im essentailly saying that effectively they're the same stats.

The difference is that if those 15 goals are scored by other players it means we are a totally different proposition for opposing teams. Threat from all over the park instead of just via Plan A. We might only score the same 25 goals but I think the chances are pretty slim if we had three or four players all capable of scoring goals. Ie we'd more than likely score more.

Can you not have both? When we were finishing in the top 4, we had the striker who could get us 25 goals, but we also had 3-4 players capable of scoring and making around 20 each. A striker who can score a goal every other game is like gold dust. You do everything you can to keep them or find another one. What we need though is another midfielder or two who can chip in with a fair contribution.

Can you not have both? When we were finishing in the top 4, we had the striker who could get us 25 goals, but we also had 3-4 players capable of scoring and making around 20 each. A striker who can score a goal every other game is like gold dust. You do everything you can to keep them or find another one. What we need though is another midfielder or two who can chip in with a fair contribution.

Seems a fair struggle without paying silly money though, aye. Which kind of rules us out, for now at least.

Couldnt agree more, i actually hadnt considered it to that extent,  rather just looked at the relevance of the actual stats.

Great post, that.

With that in mind I'm gonna take my findings and feeling over to the Owen contract thread.

I think a goalscoring attacking mid for the £10m mark with any half decent target man to play for him and Martins would be even better than Owen staying.

Two little men never work correctly unless they are both supreme, lets play on Martins pace with intelligence and technique in a big frame and we'd have the best balance upfront since Shearer & Bellamy.

Id love that but i actully think they're the hardest type of players to sign, they;re arguably the most talent and gifted players on the pitch because they're game is so natural and cerebral.

I actually think the Martins Owen combination was working ok, i was surpirsed at how different they games actually are and how little they actually take the same positions. The balance still isnt right becasue with them we are missing 2 things, aerial ability and a decent hold up and link up play.

It's unfortunately where Viduka comes in, unfortunately we need to rely on his fitness, not ability (not in question) if he were fit every game and could last 90mins each time, then as we've seen its lethal. Maybe we really missed a trick with Baptista, strong, technical, good shot, grafter, relatively injury free, could have filled the Viduka role in a 433 or 442 then even dropped back as the attacking mid running with the ball at players, extra threat at corners (and protection) and link up with chosen strikers upfront.

I'd be quite happy if we didn't directly replaced Owen an brought in a Diego style (not him, too famous now, but a copycat version direct from Brazil) the balanced the team properly with a reliable Viduka replacement, i personally was hoping Xisco was up to the job, you never know, his talent lies in the future rather than the now, but totally wasted atm doing nothing.

It's unfortunately where Viduka comes in, unfortunately we need to rely on his fitness, not ability (not in question) if he were fit every game and could last 90mins each time, then as we've seen its lethal. Maybe we really missed a trick with Baptista, strong, technical, good shot, grafter, relatively injury free, could have filled the Viduka role in a 433 or 442 then even dropped back as the attacking mid running with the ball at players, extra threat at corners (and protection) and link up with chosen strikers upfront.

I'd be quite happy if we didn't directly replaced Owen an brought in a Diego style (not him, too famous now, but a copycat version direct from Brazil) the balanced the team properly with a reliable Viduka replacement, i personally was hoping Xisco was up to the job, you never know, his talent lies in the future rather than the now, but totally wasted atm doing nothing.

Agree with all that, its the reason we played so well towards the end of last season, we actually had a fantatstic balance with all 3 players who were actually completely different. Relying on Viduka is too much of a gambl though.

Actually a good shout with Baptista, i never really considered him too much, didnt think his output was that great but id actually think he could still be a good player in england, he has the physicality to suceed in england as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd replace Owen with an attacking midfielder, i.e. someone who can ghost into the box and chip in with goals, and stick a true centre-forward up front who can lead the line. The CF would score less goals but his and the ACM's goals would give us what Owen gives but add far more to the side.

I'd replace Owen with an attacking goalkeeper, i.e. someone who can score freekicks and chip in with goals, and stick a true centre-forward up front who can lead the line. The CF would score less goals but his and the attacking goalkeeper goals would give us what Owen gives but add far more to the side.

My first choice is Rogério Ceni.

I'd replace Owen with an attacking goalkeeper, i.e. someone who can score freekicks and chip in with goals, and stick a true centre-forward up front who can lead the line. The CF would score less goals but his and the attacking goalkeeper goals would give us what Owen gives but add far more to the side.

:lol:

Get Chilavert out of retirement!

:lol:

I really like these players like Beardsley and Bellamy, who can operate in a free role between the main striker and the midfield, working hard and creating things. We seemed to be after someone like that, with our interest in Arshavin, Turan, Aimar and Modric.

I'd love it, love it, if somehow Bellamy was motivated to come back.

And now that Rooney's a World Champion, he might be looking for a fresh challenge.

PS - That last one was a joke.

I really like these players like Beardsley and Bellamy, who can operate in a free role between the main striker and the midfield, working hard and creating things. We seemed to be after someone like that, with our interest in Arshavin, Turan, Aimar and Modric.

And now that Rooney's a World Champion, he might be looking for a fresh challenge.

I think Olic fits that mould and a very good player too.....very similar to Bellamy moreso apart from the injury record and not being a mouthy bastard. Hamburg are doing very well now under Jol so not sure if he`d be looking for a move.

Roque Santa Cruz is the right age, is proven in the premiership and, like Owen, is equally good in the air as on the deck.

It's a no-brainer for me.

I was also really impressed with Mauro Zarate when he was on loan at Birmingham. He's only 21 or 22 and he scored a few in the premiership.

I think Olic fits that mould and a very good player too.....very similar to Bellamy moreso apart from the injury record and not being a mouthy bastard. Hamburg are doing very well now under Jol so not sure if he`d be looking for a move.

Jol said after the Villa game they'd do well to keep him an Petric if someone from a bigger league came in for them so could be worth a cheeky bid or two. Prefer Petric myself as he is younger and will have a longer long term value although he'd probably cost more.